Nikon's new MX lenses?

Started Oct 17, 2009 | Discussions
WalterF Regular Member • Posts: 217
Nikon's new MX lenses?

Is this Nikons new MX glass?

http://nikonrumors.com/2009/10/16/its-a-nikon-patents-friday-nikon-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera.aspx

If yes, Nikon will indeed have three sensor sizes, but MX will probably mean "micro-DX" instead of "medium format".

• AF-S 14/2.8G MX (35/2.8)

• AF-S 18/1.4G MX (45/1.4)

• AF-S 9-45/2.8-5.6 MX (22-105)

• AF-S 11-105/3.3-6 MX (26-270)

• AF-S 30-105/4-5.6 MX (75-270)

crop factor 2.5x

Regards
Walter

Phil_L Veteran Member • Posts: 3,169
Re: Nikon's new MX lenses?

WalterF wrote:

Is this Nikons new MX glass?

http://nikonrumors.com/2009/10/16/its-a-nikon-patents-friday-nikon-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera.aspx

If yes, Nikon will indeed have three sensor sizes, but MX will probably mean "micro-DX" instead of "medium format".

• AF-S 14/2.8G MX (35/2.8)

• AF-S 18/1.4G MX (45/1.4)

• AF-S 9-45/2.8-5.6 MX (22-105)

• AF-S 11-105/3.3-6 MX (26-270)

• AF-S 30-105/4-5.6 MX (75-270)

crop factor 2.5x

Regards
Walter

Interesting!

Look at all the fuss over the new MFT Panny GF1 and they are flying off the shelves.

Only time will tell.
--
Phil_L

Phil_L's gear list:Phil_L's gear list
Nikon D500 Phase One Capture One Pro
OP WalterF Regular Member • Posts: 217

Exactly, the mirrorless cameras (including Leica's M9) attract more attention than the classical DSLR's. Looks very much like the new industry revolution. The first was the move from SLR's to DSLR's, and now we have the move from DSLR's to all-digital mirrorless systems...

Walter

brunobarolo Senior Member • Posts: 1,118
Now imagine...

... there would be an adapter for FX lenses. The 80-400 becomes a 200-1000. Well, sort of.

Anyway, the poor man's dream for wildlife photography.

Duckie Senior Member • Posts: 2,188

If it gets smaller instead of learger, I'll fear for Nikon. They are not great at making small things.

Duckie's gear list:Duckie's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
Fabio Amodeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,232

2.5x factor? Wrong step
Fabio

Fabio Amodeo's gear list:Fabio Amodeo's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Re: Now imagine...

brunobarolo wrote:

... there would be an adapter for FX lenses. The 80-400 becomes a 200-1000. Well, sort of.

Anyway, the poor man's dream for wildlife photography.

many wouldn't need more than that: A small wide pancake and the FX telephotos

Fabio Amodeo wrote:

2.5x factor? Wrong step
Fabio

DX and FX will certainly survive for those who want larger sensors.

Walter

Kmoore Regular Member • Posts: 369

Sure would be nice if this were true! 2.5 crop sounds pretty nice to me, I'll have my D700 for ISO and serious work and the MX for casual, macro, and tele stuff. My longest lens is my 105 VR macro so with the appropriate adapter that would be a 263 2.8 VR tele Macro! Secondly, 1:1 on a FX isnt all that close for small bugs but on a MX that would be quite sweet.

But until I see it I'm taking all this with a grain of salt.....
--
http://lethaltalons.zenfolio.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lethaltalons/

jhinkey
jhinkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,814

These patents don't look like they are for an interchangeable lens system, rather for a large sensor point-and-shoot with options for various built-in lens systems. I would not think this is the new MX format. The OP put the G and MX designations there himself - this did not come from the patent.
John

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic LX100 Nikon D800 Sony a7R II Panasonic G85 +27 more

jhinkey wrote:

These patents don't look like they are for an interchangeable lens system, rather for a large sensor point-and-shoot with options for various built-in lens systems. I would not think this is the new MX format. The OP put the G and MX designations there himself - this did not come from the patent.

True, and I tried to make clear in the original post that the naming "MX" is my own speculation. (Hope my English is good enough for not creating confusion.) As you mention, it could also be all about lenses for a Leica X1 type camera.

The idea of an interchangeable system was speculation by nikonrumors.com, based on the fact that a 75-270 lens wouldn't make much sense in a digicam with fixed lens.

Regards,
Walter

based on the fact that ...

should read: "based on the assumption"

brunobarolo Senior Member • Posts: 1,118

Now that assumption is almost a fact (-:

Or is there a digital compact camera with something like a 75-270 zoom?

WalterF wrote:

at least it's a very straightforward assumption ; )

digicams with 45/1.4 lenses are also very rare...

brunobarolo wrote:
Now that assumption is almost a fact (-:

Or is there a digital compact camera with something like a 75-270 zoom?

WalterF wrote:

PatMann
PatMann Senior Member • Posts: 1,828

Where's my 5-10 f/4 and 25-60 f/2.8-f/4?

Would this not make a killer compact video camera with the 11-105?

EVF and electronic shutter for silent operation?

This size sensor is a huge improvement over the Coolpix series and plenty big for video. Lets keep it at about 10-12 mp, and we should get some pretty nice noise performance in a very compact system, but keep it about the size of the Coolpix 5000 (with a smaller grip similar to the Panasonic's) so big fingers can operate it. Give us the nice articulated Coolpix 5000 screen (OLED in this one, of course) which I found very useful for low angle and micro and holding above crowds, and give us a high-resolution EVF. No viewfinder, no purchase for me.

-- hide signature --

Pat

PatMann's gear list:PatMann's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +13 more
gurgeh Regular Member • Posts: 329

WalterF wrote:

Fabio Amodeo wrote:

2.5x factor? Wrong step
Fabio

Yes but it would be very difficult to maintain 3 lines of lenses. Nikon is already having a difficult time keeping 2 lines of lenses up to date, imagine having to design and manufacture an entirely separate set of lenses as well.

They should just put the d5000 sensor in a compact mirrorless body like the EP-1. Or even better put the D3s (or D3x) sensor in a body like the M9. This way they can satisfy those who want a compact camera and those who want a larger sensor

gurgeh's gear list:gurgeh's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +4 more
CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,154

gurgeh wrote:

WalterF wrote:

Fabio Amodeo wrote:

2.5x factor? Wrong step
Fabio

Yes but it would be very difficult to maintain 3 lines of lenses. Nikon is already having a difficult time keeping 2 lines of lenses up to date, imagine having to design and manufacture an entirely separate set of lenses as well.

They should just put the d5000 sensor in a compact mirrorless body like the EP-1. Or even better put the D3s (or D3x) sensor in a body like the M9. This way they can satisfy those who want a compact camera and those who want a larger sensor

They will need to do 3 lines of lenses no matter what otherwise why have a camera without the mirror? Taking it out allows them to make the lenses smaller in diameter and overall size.

By using an even smaller sensor Nikon is going on small/portable which is a good move. They are large enough to make a new line of lenses quickly, and if you have handled the EP-1/GF1 they are small but even with a pancake leave a big bulge in your pocket. If they can make the smaller sensor have good performance at 12MP then it is a win win. No it wont be as good in performance as their DSLR at any given generation but this gives a series of steps for the photographers coming up, compact, micro, APS-C, Full Frame, all in "The Nikon Family". And many of us use current compacts as back up cameras so a 2.5X crop sensor would still be a big jump from that level.

Just think:

Smaller body

Cheaper sensor

Smaller lenses with less glass

Plus with the Nikon name they could make a big splash in the market. I am really interested in Olympus and possibly Fuji's m4/3 offerings but if Nikon can get in and make a cheaper and smaller system I would give them a serious look.

Phil_L Veteran Member • Posts: 3,169

CBR1100XX wrote:

...snip...

Just think:

Smaller body

Cheaper sensor

Smaller lenses with less glass

Plus with the Nikon name they could make a big splash in the market. I am really interested in Olympus and possibly Fuji's m4/3 offerings but if Nikon can get in and make a cheaper and smaller system I would give them a serious look.

Right and count me in as well!

Came within an inch of pulling the trigger on a Panny GF-1 + pancake prime.
The idea is on hold now.

Some people can't see further than the tips of their own noses!
--
Phil_L

Phil_L's gear list:Phil_L's gear list
Nikon D500 Phase One Capture One Pro
shimage Regular Member • Posts: 285

18/1.4 or 45/3.5, take your pick. Don't mix and match.

WalterF wrote:

at least it's a very straightforward assumption ; )

digicams with 45/1.4 lenses are also very rare...

zygh
zygh Senior Member • Posts: 1,798
2.5x is smaller than 4/3

why would nikon do that? why would they abandon their bigger-sensor advantage? if sigma could fit a 1.7x aps-c sensor into a camera as small as the dp1&2, i don't see why nikon would choose to not only start the micro-race later but also come with a sensor that will always be smaller that the competitions. if they do this, the m4/3 bunch will always ahead. they are already planning on a second generation of cameras.

zygh's gear list:zygh's gear list
Nikon D40 NEX5R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads