The new "GX", straight from the horse's mouth

Started Oct 16, 2009 | Discussions
Maxime B Regular Member • Posts: 323
The new "GX", straight from the horse's mouth

Hi everybody.

Today I was in the Paris's photography salon. No breaking news, except from Ricoh.

They had a small stand, with just one guy. After some small talk about thier products, come the juicy part. Here's a transcript (from memory, but I remember pretty well):

Me : Is a remplacement for the CX200 coming ?

Ricoh guy : That's the end of this line, we are going to issue a small interchangable lens system instead. It will have a APS-C sized type sensor .
Me : Ah. It won't be as small and pockable anymore then ?
Ricoh guy : It will be as small as the GX .

Me : How is possible ? The bigger the sensor, the bigger the camera, isn't it ?
Rigoh guy : It depend where is the sensor.
Me : [!!! here it get totally crazy !!]
Him : We invented something new, there is a trick in the design of the camera.
Me : What lenses will it use, micro 4/3 ?

Him : No, your own lenses. Official annoncement is 10 of november. It will hit the store early december.

I didn't ask for more that's all I need to know as far as I am concern...

Here's some pictures from the show (shot with dp2, sorry about that)

Self-portrait

TMacaw Veteran Member • Posts: 4,556
Re: The new

Intriguing post! Many thanks. Hmmmmm ... most of my Nikkors are bigger than the body. So much for pocket compact.
Like your DP2 pics .... Looks like one of my macaws at the booth!

Regards,
Tom B

Andrew Higgins Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
Re: The new "GX", straight from the horse's mouth

Sounds like the 'new GX' will have a folded optical path from the lens to the sensor....
Intriguing!

A

Andrew Higgins's gear list:Andrew Higgins's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Ricoh Caplio R8 Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR +10 more
Calvin Palmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,799

We appear to live in interesting times.

Your lenses? Are Ricoh proposing some kind of universal mount?

Shame the girl with snake was cropped out.

I would be interested to know which company's felt the need to grace its stand with a snake dancer.

OP Maxime B Regular Member • Posts: 323

Calvin Palmer wrote:

We appear to live in interesting times.

Your lenses? Are Ricoh proposing some kind of universal mount?

Well he didn't said this. he just said they will make the lenses, most likely their own mount.

Shame the girl with snake was cropped out.

Given the number of people taking pictures of her, she will not be difficult to find

I would be interested to know which company's felt the need to grace its stand with a snake dancer.

Panasonic. More intriging were the parrot and a howl (behind) staying still despite the noise, flashs and everything.

sphexx Contributing Member • Posts: 725

Maxime B wrote:

Panasonic. More intriging were the parrot and a howl (behind) staying still despite the noise, flashs and everything.

It's a Norwegian Blue -- they don't move a lot

-- hide signature --

Richard

sphexx's gear list:sphexx's gear list
Ricoh GR II
guuzz New Member • Posts: 8

This sounds too god to be true. An APS sized sensor camera from the by far the best compact body maker, and with a revolutionary new technique from one of the smallest players in the market. This is in my mind the perfect camera, and there never will be a perfect camera.

And this breaking news is released to a random guy at a fair in Paris. I dont know.

Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,683

We in the U.S. hope Ricoh will use this innovation to re-enter the market here. Yes, Adorama and another house carry Ricoh compacts, but Ricoh does not actually distribute in the U.S.

Price will be an interesting issue, too. Already the compact high end has crossed the entry-level dSLR. There is a limit to that tension.

Enjoying my GX200, for example, a couple of roses:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2709/4014746445_6814fc45b9_b.jpg

focale_32 Regular Member • Posts: 111

You're right, there is a photo exhibition in Paris but with no Ricoh stand,
it's a troll !!

http://www.lesalondelaphoto.com/salon/liste_exposants.php?liste=r

TMacaw Veteran Member • Posts: 4,556

.... girl with snake? Is that related to the howl? Now I'm beginning to wonder if Ricoh is losing it (frown). no Troll would do this sort ofd thing ... would they?

Gee, a worldwide Forum, Paris show, and no other Ricoh people to verify or negate this post?

Tom B

Archiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,634

1. Too bad you didn't post a shot of the Ricoh stand, that would have given the post some credibility.

2. Who cares about the parrot, beautiful as it is. I want to see the girl with the snake!

3. No worries about using a Sigma DP2. It's a great camera. It would give a better photo than a small sensor Ricoh.
--
Archiver - Recording the sights and sounds of life
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

Calvin Palmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,799

sphexx wrote:

I think this flew over the heads of the international audience. Perhaps they were expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

mitchall Senior Member • Posts: 1,789
New APS-C system from Rioch

Seems to me this is a completely new system from Ricoh, not the "new CX". The more interesting question is how this relates to the GRD3: will the new system camera become the top of the line Rioch camera and, if so, what is the future of the GRDx line?

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malland/sets/72157613189560804/show/

Archiver wrote:

1. Too bad you didn't post a shot of the Ricoh stand, that would have given the post some credibility.

Unfortunatly, it wouldn't. Some people would still expect a video recording or a signed documents from the Ricoh employer to be certain. Of course this is not going to happend.

For the record, Ricoh stand was barely a stand, just a 1 meter sized one. Not enough of a reason not to list them

Bottom line, we will be fixed very soon (10 nov.). What really concern me is how will it work ? I believe (that's pure speculation) the sensor kinda slide inside the body to make room for the optics when the camera is off. How solid and not prone to dust such a system would be ? Let's wait and see.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maximebrousse/

Re: New APS-C system from Rioch

After he told me all of that, I guess I had some kind of a condesendent look at the GRD3 in display, because he told me that the gdr will stay as the ultimate portability tool. My guess is that they are not giving up such a legendary and popular (in japan) camera.

mitchall wrote:

Seems to me this is a completely new system from Ricoh, not the "new CX". The more interesting question is how this relates to the GRD3: will the new system camera become the top of the line Rioch camera and, if so, what is the future of the GRDx line?

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malland/sets/72157613189560804/show/

Archiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,634

Calvin Palmer wrote:

sphexx wrote:

I think this flew over the heads of the international audience. Perhaps they were expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

I wonder if the parrot's feet were nailed to the perch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO1T7b07I7E

-- hide signature --

Archiver - Recording the sights and sounds of life
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

sphexx Contributing Member • Posts: 725

Maxime B wrote:

What really concern me is how will it work ? I believe (that's pure speculation) the sensor kinda slide inside the body to make room for the optics when the camera is off. How solid and not prone to dust such a system would be ? Let's wait and see.

No, the lens/mount slides, it's a well known design that would work well with digital see for example:

No bigger than a GX when folded
--
Richard

sphexx's gear list:sphexx's gear list
Ricoh GR II
Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 37,362

Naw, it was dead you fool ...

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 37,362
Did you check its teeth when you were at it?

Well, will I be right or will I be wrong?

mmm - fiit the aps-c and perhaps the k-mount is not out of the question? Lots of Pentax lenses waiting to be used ...

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

BillCarr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,045

Maxime B wrote:

Ricoh guy : That's the end of this line, we are going to issue a small interchangable lens system instead. It will have a APS-C sized type sensor..... It will be as small as the GX ....

Me : What lenses will it use, micro 4/3 ?
Him : No, your own lenses.

I highly doubt that's possible. Put a standard APS-C 50mm f/1.8 ;ens in front of a GX series camera -- there's just not enough room to fit a sturdy mount that fits in that small a space, is there? Look at the Panasonic GF1 and try to figure out how you could fit a larger lens-mount into a smaller frame than this:

I just don't think you can.

If Ricoh is jumping to a larger sensor, then given its sales history this century it would seem more reasonable for it to come out with a larger-sensored compact camera in a small package -- a GX300 that happens to have a bigger sensor.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads