Honest question - A850 VS Nikon D700 Opinions

Started Oct 16, 2009 | Discussions
Chris Ventura Regular Member • Posts: 327
Honest question - A850 VS Nikon D700 Opinions

I am thinking about moving to full frame after jumping from Pentax. I am curious about a couple of questions, and was hoping to get some honest opinions.

Between the A850 and the D700... The cameras seem VERY equal other than a couple of things
A850 - 24 MP
In Body IS
Slightly better FV

Nikon
Higher end autofocus
Better High ISO
Faster frame rate

The ONE question I have... has there been a test comparing A850 images at say 12 MP at high ISO to the Nikon?

Seems to me a lot of talk about "High Noise" and when I see samples, I just don't see anything horrible at all. I don't see any noise below ISO 800.... but, sense the only two full frame cameras I am considering are the d700 and a850... I guess for me, 12 MP is fine. So... any comparisons out there if we level the playing field? I am curious about this.

Thanks

thefiendster Regular Member • Posts: 163
Re: Honest question - A850 VS Nikon D700 Opinions
VAnand Regular Member • Posts: 197

At high ISO, I suspect D700 is 2 stops better. D700 also has better/faster AF

Inbody image stabilization is a plus for A850. Plus it's cheaper.

beakydave Senior Member • Posts: 2,140

VAnand wrote:

At high ISO, I suspect D700 is 2 stops better.

Perhaps you should have had a look at DxOMark before posting the above. Then again, perhaps not, because you've already shown that you don't understand the numbers:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=33253206

VAnand Regular Member • Posts: 197

No need to look at numbers. Looking at the photos, I give D700 2stop advantage, just to be charitable to A850. As for AF, D700 has the fastest AF on the market (only $8000 1DIII comes close)

beakydave Senior Member • Posts: 2,140

VAnand wrote:

No need to look at numbers. Looking at the photos, I give D700 2stop advantage, just to be charitable to A850. As for AF, D700 has the fastest AF on the market (only $8000 1DIII comes close)

I see - rely on DxOmark when it suits you, disregard it when it doesn't. (But you are right in one respect - stats and more stats are meaningless, what counts is real output)

domk275 Regular Member • Posts: 488
If it was me...

I'd go for the D700. I would make more use of the speed, high ISO and AF capabilities than the awesome resolution of the 850 - though I would miss SSS.

Of course, this is just me personally - it reall depends on what you shoot. For macro, landscape, product, studio, etc, go for the 850, while if it's sports, action, wildlife, low-light etc, then go for the D700.
--

I'd love to engage in a battle of the wits with you, but it appears you're unarmed.

fjbyrne
fjbyrne Veteran Member • Posts: 8,333
What do you intend to shoot?

First let me upfront and say that I do not own either an A850 or a D700. I have handled an A850 and shot my friend's D700.

This is how I rate the cameras for the various types of shooting:

• Landscapes - A850 for the better resolution

• Studio - A850 for the better resolution

• Low-light - D700 for the better high-ISO performance

• Sports - D700 for the better AF and high-ISO performance

Note that both cameras will do a good job for most situations but each has its advantages.

Finally I would say go out and handle the cameras and price the lenses and accessories you think you will need.

-- hide signature --

Rick

fjbyrne's gear list:fjbyrne's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony a6000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +10 more
Ronni H
Ronni H Senior Member • Posts: 1,099
Well put (nt)
-- hide signature --

Never bite the Apple...

Ronni

http://www.pbase.com/ronnihansen

Ronni H's gear list:Ronni H's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Venus Laowa 15mm F2 FE Zero-D +1 more
Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,128

Does not D700 have much faster frame rate?

A850 is not blazing fast - A900 is better.

This is quite important for sports and wildlife.

If you think of D700 vs. X better consider A900 unless price is main factor. In which case A850 is obvious choice

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III
JohnyP Contributing Member • Posts: 960
Read this...

http://www.hypersensory.com/content/full-frame-camera-recommendations-canon-5dii-nikon-d700-sony-a900-and-a850

It basically boils down to what kind of photography you do.
If you do a lot Sports shooting of low light - get D700.

If it is for landscapes, weddings, portraits - get A850.

It is also not fare to compare D700 to A850. Nikon will do 8FPS with verticle grip, and Sony only 3fps. But D700 is $2700 while A850 is only $2000. You should compare it to A900 - both do 5fps without grip and Nikon goes to 8 with one. price is same for both here.

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,087
A900/A850 as a high ISO body
ibaubau New Member • Posts: 10

Personal thoughts and opinions - sorry, it's all just from my own experience with no "test comparisons".

I have some experience (50+ hours) with both camera's. My office has a slew of D700's and I own an A850/900 for my own personal work. I personally feel that the D700's high iso performance is about 2-3 stops better than the A850/900 when using DXO. Lightroom and ACR does such a bad job with the Sony raw's at high iso that I think they aren't even worth using. Using DXO to process the raw's and then Lightroom to manage them is quite time consuming on your workflow, plus dealing with those 30-40MB files really slows your computer down and forces you to either get more 32GB cards or flush the cards out extremely often when on location. I shoot with 40GB's on hand (32GB in CF, 8GB in MS) in both the A850/900 and it only gives me around 1600-1800 raw pictures per camera. The D700 on the other hand has great high iso performance so it only requires ONE program to process the 15-20MB files, which results in faster workflow and less strain on your computer. Let's not forget you can put more raw's on your memory cards with the smaller files sizes. Plus I love the built-in flash for the D700 for their CLS. So overall, I like Nikon more, but I still think the Zeiss lenses are better. But I'm so heavily invested into Sony that it's probably too late to jump ship, grr...

I guess in a nutshell, the A850/900 isn't as strong with high iso performance vs the D700, but at lower iso's (such as 1250 and lower) when paired with Zeiss, I'm extremely pleased with the A850/900's results. I'm not a talented photographer but here are some examples of the A850/900 in my blog.

http://www.billyyamphotos.com/blog/

cheers.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads