Too much gear ?

Started Oct 16, 2009 | Discussions
OP PhillipA Veteran Member • Posts: 5,505
Re: What are the DSLR going from Left to right?

As another Poster pointed out, there are some older models there - we usually just add, not replace - though I have passed on the 20D and 40D to one of the other guys (who started late). Left to right there are: 1DIII/100-400L, 5D/17-40L (with polarizer), 500D/55-250IS, 40D/17-85IS, 350D/Sigma 18-200OS, 20D/70-300IS, Canon SX20IS (an experiment in the search for a lightweight option - unsuccessful), 350D/100 macro, 1000D/Sigma 18-125 and 30D/100-400L. I'm the "gearhead" in the group - my wife tells everyone that " I am addicted to shiney things", so I change around reasonably often. If the share market continues to revive, I think my next upgrades will be 1DIII - 1DIV (shouldn't be too long), 5D - 5DII, and I will probably replace the 500D with a Panasonic GH1 for the much better video and slightly smaller size. Though I might go to a 1DsIV next year instead of the 5DII.
--

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

Re: A lot of gearheads around here!

Damn - that looks like my place - except I don't have a 300L f2.8 (or is it a 400DO - hard to tell from that angle) or 85 f1.2 (135L and 85 f1.8 for me). Good camera gear makes more sense to me than an expensive set of golf clubs or a boat.
--

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

Re: Too much gear ?

Ross Beavis wrote:

What lenses do you have to go with the bodies? And what kind of bags do you use for hauling it all?!

A list of my gear at the moment includes (from my profile):

1DmkIII, 5D with BGE-4, 500D, 17-40L, 18-55IS, 24-105L IS, 55-250IS, 50 1.8, 70-200L f4 IS, Canon MP-E65 macro, 85 f1.8, 135 f2L, Sigma 150 macro, 100-400L IS, Olympus 24mm f2.8, Olympus 50mm f1.8, Canon 1.4x Extender, Tamron 1.4x Extender 580EX-II, 550EX, 220EX, MR-14EX macro ringlight
Epson Pro4000
Panasonic LX3, Panasonic ZR1

...but I have had numerous other bodies and lenses over the 7 years or so I have been interested in digital photography. I shot film for 30 years before that, with Pentax and then Olympus OM gear. I only went to Canon as the 10D was the first reasonably affordable DSLR available here (Australia). As for carrying the gear, I'm 58 and the other 2 guys I shoot with are over 60, so we don't attempt any hikes or anything too strenuous. We each carry our "usual" gear in a big bag and take a smaller one as well. As we are driving around and see somewhere that might be interesting, we take out what we might need, put is in a smaller bag or just over our shoulders and leave the rest in the car. For example if we find a walking trail through bush I might take the 1D with 100-400 for birds and the 5D and macro for flowers and bugs. If near a beach I might replace the macro with a 24-105 or 17-40 for landscapes. We aways have enough room for a good bottle of red wine to have with lunch. It's a hard life, this retirement lark

-- hide signature --

MTip Regular Member • Posts: 142
Re: Too much gear ? What do you do with it?

Ok, that is an impressive array of gear, but why don't you show us some examples of what you shoot with it?

T.

Re: Too much gear ? What do you do with it?

MTip wrote:

Ok, that is an impressive array of gear, but why don't you show us some examples of what you shoot with it?

We don't do anything with it - just take it out for long drives and clean it sometimes I used to have $10,000 worth of Hi-Fi gear and 3 records - they were the only ones that sounded any good !

..actually a small record of what we shoot can be found here: http://www.pbase.com/parcher/urps Remember - everything is shot "from the hip" - none of those girly tripods and such for we old blokes

-- hide signature --

Re: No Big or fast Guns in lineup

Too old and too weak to carry anything heavier than I do now I'm afraid - though I have been tempted by a 400DO on occasions
--

mcarp411 New Member • Posts: 4

It seems like you guys are in need of a little help. So I will step up and hold on to a few of your canon lens's for you. Don't worry no charge

M_Edge Senior Member • Posts: 1,717
Big gun suggestion

You’ll know that you have too much gear when your truck will no longer hold it. The solution then is to get a larger truck.

As far as a ‘big gun’ and your comment about not wanting to carry it around – I’ll bring to your attention the Sigma 200-500/2.8 from B&H. This is clearly a ‘big gun’, but you have a major advantage with this lens. It’s pretty obvious that this lens is only usable with an ATV pintle mount such as is used for machine guns. Also if you got a 4-passanger ATV you, your two friends, and the 200-500 could travel off-road in comfort.

-- hide signature --

BJCP National

GearCollector Contributing Member • Posts: 976

Nah, there's always room for more!

GearCollector's gear list:GearCollector's gear list
Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon PowerShot Pro70 Canon PowerShot Pro90 IS Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +28 more
thien nguyen Senior Member • Posts: 1,369
You must reduce your gear footprint and save the environment (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thien

thien nguyen's gear list:thien nguyen's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Jimmy Drew Senior Member • Posts: 1,477
I too have had a lot of gear...although not at the same time...

How do you like the LX3? I have the 20D and 30D and 40D and 50D amd 1DMK 2 and a lot lf lenses and P&S's and now have the LX3. with the 7D on order....tell me your feeling about the LX3? I am truly impressed with this little package and keep it with me at all times. Oh, I also had some Nikons....but settled on Canon.

Jimmy Drew

Jimmy Drew's gear list:Jimmy Drew's gear list
Epson Stylus Photo R3000
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,141
Where's the MF?

I can understand occasionally leaving the large format view camera at home, but I'm a bit surprised (and disappointed) there is not a single medium format in the lot, not even one you guys co-own.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Doug

http://pbase.com/dougj

snowboarder Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Canon must really love you guys...

nothing here

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads