Too much gear ?

Started Oct 16, 2009 | Discussions
PhillipA Veteran Member • Posts: 5,505
Too much gear ?

Two friends and I go out shooting together every week, Over the years we have accumulated a bit of gear between us. Just for fun we took a picture today of the equipment we were carrying - not including extra lenses etc. still in the car. I think it may all be getting a bit excessive .. there's also another Panasonic TZ7 that was used to take the picture.

-- hide signature --

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

Al Dee Regular Member • Posts: 140
Re: Too much gear ?

envious!!!!!!
--
Al Dee

Ross Beavis Forum Member • Posts: 78

Care to list it all?! Seems like a lot of bodies for two people. Lots of lenses I get, but 9 SLR bodies between 3? Most people just have two each, if they're lucky!

PhillipA wrote:

Two friends and I go out shooting together every week, Over the years we have accumulated a bit of gear between us. Just for fun we took a picture today of the equipment we were carrying - not including extra lenses etc. still in the car. I think it may all be getting a bit excessive .. there's also another Panasonic TZ7 that was used to take the picture.
http://www.pbase.com/parcher/image/118341694/original.jpg
--

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

VincentJ Senior Member • Posts: 2,262
Way too much

Yeah, way too much gear. Tried carrying them all at a time? Probably land you in hospital

OP PhillipA Veteran Member • Posts: 5,505

Ross Beavis wrote:

Care to list it all?! Seems like a lot of bodies for two people. Lots of lenses I get, but 9 SLR bodies between 3? Most people just have two each, if they're lucky!

1DIII, 5D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 500D, 1000D & 2 350Ds. Panasonic LX3, ZR1 and 2 TZ7s. We all like to have 1 body with a long lens, one with a wide and also have lightweight bodies for travel and/or with a macro lens. It's easier to carry a couple of bodies than a bag with lenses and have to change them. Besides we have to spend our pensions on something
--

tocar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,514

That is kind of excessive. Are you guys pros? I have trouble just bringing an extra lens and accessories but whatever suits your fancy. Impressive.

tocar's gear list:tocar's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D +1 more
Ross Beavis Forum Member • Posts: 78

What lenses do you have to go with the bodies? And what kind of bags do you use for hauling it all?!

Thesun Regular Member • Posts: 364
A lot of gearheads around here!

You will find a lot of gearheads lurking around here, and you will not believe what regular hobbyist are hiding in their closets

Here's my collection before 7D and EF 500mm f/4 L:

http://tagesfotoblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/utstyrsfreak.html

Tage
--
http://www.solberghifi.no/galleri.htm

Fabian628 Senior Member • Posts: 2,447
wow

1DIII is a monster of a body.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41942460@N04/sets/

Port Royal Dad
Port Royal Dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,719
Hell yes that's too much stuff!!!

I wouldn't do this for just anyone...ok...?? You seem like a nice person...

Tell you what...to help you out, just send me the rig on the far left, and the one on the far right. I'll take good care of them. I wouldn't want you to strain anything!

Mike

PhillipA wrote:

-- hide signature --

B.R.A.S.S. (Breathe, Relax, Aim, Sight, Squeeze)

masak Senior Member • Posts: 1,282

Not if you are within 10 miles from home. Any farther and I would want more back up than I see in the picture.
--
http://mitchseaver.com/

masak's gear list:masak's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N +17 more
mr.izo Contributing Member • Posts: 513

honestly, why do you need 5+ dslr's? ok, i can understand upgrading, need to swap focals faster etc, but this is just silly., specially if you drag all this around.

ok, i+ll take it back if you doing some kins of special photography, where you need lot of different angles etc, but..

Rahto Senior Member • Posts: 1,225

First of all there is no such thing as too much gear. There is a slim possibility that you might have enough but highly unlikely. As the proud owner of 4 digital bodies 6 flashes and 20 plus lenses and that is just the Canon stuff I don’t need less stuff I need a bigger truck.

Bob

Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Canon EOS D60 Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 +59 more
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,841
Way too much - Why not sell some GEAR

NICE TOYS - but you have way too much gear, to the point that I"m no longer jealous. I find having too many camera takes TIME away from using them, and too many TOYS becomes a distraction in photography. Instead of grab them and go shoot, you now have to decide which camera, which lens, which flash to carry. I find too many gears, WASTE too much time on selection, when I should be enjoying photography.

Do you rotate using different cameras trying to maximize usage on each camera? or do you just used the current FAV while leaving the rest to collect dust?

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Cal Dawson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,810
not really....

you have a couple of current models, most are older and no really long lenses, tripods, heads, flashes or flash extenders along with a lack of any devices to sort pics in the field....

I think a trip to B&H is sorely needed....

PhillipA wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cal

Put a Canon to your head, You deserve it....

http://funshots.smugmug.com/

Rakumi Veteran Member • Posts: 6,361

Now you three need to just start your own professional company.
--
Quickly shooter, draw your lens or prepared to get shot.

Rakumi's gear list:Rakumi's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +11 more
camera_nut Contributing Member • Posts: 525

Yes. I think you should be sent to jail
--
Vince from Oregon
Flickr name: Pixel Catcher

007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,841
What are the DSLR going from Left to right?

Oh ya, what the are DSLR going from Left to right? I believe I see a 40d + a 50d, is there a 7d in there as well?

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
LensWizard
LensWizard Senior Member • Posts: 1,473
No Big or fast Guns in lineup

You are in need of a serious trip to one of the big camera gear shops in NYC. Needed is the following

Big Gunds to include the 300 2.8 400 2.8 the 400 f/4 do 500 f/4 600 f/4 and then no lineup is complete without a new 800 f/5.6 Also a few Carbon Fiber Gitzo tripods and a wimberly mk2 head ..

Cheers, rtw

LensWizard's gear list:LensWizard's gear list
Leica SL2 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1Ds Leica SL (Typ 601) +26 more
Peter Kwok
Peter Kwok Senior Member • Posts: 2,570
Arigato

The Japanese would thank you for stimulating their economy.
They need to get out from their decade long recession.

Way too much gear in my opinion.
--
Peter Kwok
http://www.pbase.com/peterkwok
WYSIWYG - If you don't like what you get, try to see differently.

Peter Kwok's gear list:Peter Kwok's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads