Couple of D300s Auto ISO/High ISO Images

Started Oct 15, 2009 | Discussions
SCHMEGGA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Couple of D300s Auto ISO/High ISO Images

These were taken using the Auto ISO setting with a minimum of 1/1000 and Max ISO 3200. Very overcast and finger numbing cold with drizzle! Taken between 6-7pm last Saturday evening.

D300s, 1/1000, f/2.8, ISO 1800, 200mm

D300s, 1/1000, f/2.8, ISO 1250, 200mm

-- hide signature --

It's just a flesh wound!

jafo818 Contributing Member • Posts: 895
Re: Couple of D300s Auto ISO/High ISO Images

These look very very good. Did you use any noise reduction software?
--
JAFO

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/jafopix/popular-interesting/

jafo818's gear list:jafo818's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more
JimPearce
JimPearce Veteran Member • Posts: 9,272
ISO 1250 is...

the new ISO 800.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
David Chin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,670
Great pics! One question ...

Which lens did you use?

-- hide signature --

Regards, David Chin
Digital photography notes and stuff:
http://www.dpnotes.com/

Chris Walden Senior Member • Posts: 2,394
another good example

if the exposure is on, high ISO delivers...
--
Chris
http://www.33g.com/photos

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,326
Re: another good example

Chris Walden wrote:

if the exposure is on, high ISO delivers...

Exactly.

But those images are actually quite "low" ISO. I find the D300s to be extremely good all the way to ISO6400 if the image is exposed right. There is some noise, but if very high detail is not the aim then it is indeed very good.

The above is ISO6400 and even in this small size the expiry date of the battery is readable, even though it is printed with a simple dot matrix printer on the bottom of the battery.
--
http://www.olyflyer.blogspot.com/

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Bruce kendall Senior Member • Posts: 1,082

Those images look pretty good to me.I think the d300/d300s camera will go down in history as having been very good cameras.

Best wishes
Bruce
SA

Chris Walden Senior Member • Posts: 2,394
Very nice @6400! {nt}
-- hide signature --

Chris
http://www.33g.com/photos

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.

Saurabhag Junior Member • Posts: 35

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Dont want to start new thread but curious to know if D300s has better ISO performance than D300? I know lots of info is out on the net but interested to hear first hand users’ views.

Cheers

OP SCHMEGGA Forum Member • Posts: 63

Sorry guys, for the very long delay in responding. Have to admit I forgot about this thread.

Answers:

1. 1. Yes I ran them thru Nik Software Dfine 2.0 as I do all my images. It is a phenomenal program. As is all their other stuff. I have the whole suite and use every one constantly.

1. 2. These were shot with the older Sigma 70-200mm HSM. Which will soon be replaced with the new Nikon 70-200 VRII (already pre-ordered!!!). This Sigma lens is on my camera all the time!!! It has been great. It has to be one of the most versatile lenses I have ever owned. Great for portraits and sports. Will also be getting the TC-14E II tele. Can't wait. All this to go along with my new 27" iMac in November!

-- hide signature --

It's just a flesh wound!

lild01 Regular Member • Posts: 256
Disregard this posting

Read my post below I dont know how to delete this posting.

Maybe I am stupid but...

maybe I am stupid but.... Why use such a high ISO for daytime photography. I know you said it was an overcast day but still. I am lost on why, you even had fast glass so I really dont see the need. I am sure I am missing something please help me understand. I always use high ISO's at night or in low light.

D.

olyflyer

Bruce kendall wrote:

Those images look pretty good to me.I think the d300/d300s camera will go down in history as having been very good cameras.

Hi Bruce,

I don't know if they will be remembered in 10-20 years time as much as the F3 is, but I am certainly happy with what the D300s gives me in terms of high ISO. Never the less, if it can be improved in the next generation cameras I will welcome the improvement.

Cheers
--

Nikon Z7
olyflyer

Saurabhag wrote:

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Dont want to start new thread but curious to know if D300s has better ISO performance than D300? I know lots of info is out on the net but interested to hear first hand users’ views.

I can't say if the D300s is better or not (I never had the D300), but since it is a reworked D300 with the same sensor, I'd expect the D300 to be very similar. At the same time, I also expect Nikon to have done some improvements in that department as well within the limitations of the firmware of the rest of the hardware involved in the chain of ISO noise.
--

Nikon Z7
olyflyer
No, you are not stupid but...

lild01 wrote:

maybe I am stupid but.... Why use such a high ISO for daytime photography. I know you said it was an overcast day but still. I am lost on why, you even had fast glass so I really dont see the need. I am sure I am missing something please help me understand. I always use high ISO's at night or in low light.

No, you are not stupid, but neither is he. He had Auto ISO selected, which I would have done as well in that situation. The aperture was already wide open and with the action and the used lens you need to have fast shutter speed both to freeze the action and to prevent camera shake causing blur. These kind of images are what Auto ISO is created for. The light level may change between one image and another which the camera takes care of. By setting the shutter speed and the maximum aperture in M mode and letting the camera handle the ISO you get the best out of the situation.

Anyway, where I live daylight does not mean a lot of light, especially between October and March, and even in the middle of the day there are many situations where ISO above 1600 is needed, even with fast lenses. In other words, light level can be very low even at midday.

BTW, for night images like cityscapes, I'd do the opposite; I'd go for as low ISO as possible because the long exposure noise is very easily handled and low ISO preserves more detail. During night photography there is already too much detail lost, so if it can be improved it is always good. Of course, there are situations when long exposure creates unwanted effects as well, in which case of course I'd also go for high ISO, but not as a general rule.
--

Nikon Z7
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,538
because shooting sports needs shutter speed

High iso allows the shutter speed to remain high

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more
Re: No, you are not stupid but...

Thanks for the insight. I am new to my D300s and will play around more with the auto ISO.

I am with you the night shooting. I took these a few days ago.

In Cincinnati, OH

D.

OP SCHMEGGA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Maybe I am stupid but...

Great responses by the other 2 members. But one of the other reasons was this: here in West Texas it is getting very dark by 7-7:30pm at this time of year. These were all shot around 6:30pm. With the complete overcast and drizzle it was almost darker an hour earlier. I am glad to hear though that the images make it look like it is much brighter than it actually was. Thanks.
--
It's just a flesh wound!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads