S90 Wrist strap warning

Started Oct 13, 2009 | Discussions
Calbrit Regular Member • Posts: 219
S90 Wrist strap warning

Just started using my S90 today and so far very pleased with it. As someone who mainly takes landscape photos I am now finding myself shooting indoor shots just because they look SO good with this little camera. I need to spend more time on outdoor shooting to see if the S90 is as sharp as I like. I haven't owned a G10 but so far from the postings I have seen here it looks like it produces the IQ I would be happy with (so may buy a used one at some stage). I did own a SD880 and the images seemed good most of the time.

Anyway, the S90 is a great camera to have in your hands and to me the build quality is excellent (so far). One thing that isn't is the supplied wrist strap which started shredding within the first hour of use. I could not understand what was happening until I discovered that the strap is like a magnet for the Velcro hooks on my Targus camera pouch (my temporary pouch until I get the Canon leather one). I am very careful with my equipment but didn't see this happening until it was too late.

So beware of this issue or better still do not use a camera pouch with Velcro. I have switched to a more robust wrist strap which does not catch.

iloco Regular Member • Posts: 310
Re: S90 Wrist strap warning

What kind of wrist strap did you change to and can it be bought from a store or online..

I ride a motorcycle and need to see if I can find something to go where the strap loops and fastens so I can use my neck strap to let the camera dangle on my chest as i ride. I take a lot of shots while on the go with using one hand...
--
iloco

Bodomalo Regular Member • Posts: 209

iloco wrote:

What kind of wrist strap did you change to and can it be bought from a store or online..

I ride a motorcycle and need to see if I can find something to go where the strap loops and fastens so I can use my neck strap to let the camera dangle on my chest as i ride. I take a lot of shots while on the go with using one hand...
--

uh...I wonder when they will come up with the next law, saying :No shooting while driving"...after no text messaging while driving

Vinay Regular Member • Posts: 205

Just don't try to take macro shots

I ride a moto too and can't imagine every doing that. You're brave!
--
http://www.pbase.com/vinaymala2000

Vinay's gear list:Vinay's gear list
Leica M9
OP Calbrit Regular Member • Posts: 219

It is a braided one I had in a drawer - not sure where from. Canon has already responded to my email and their Customer Service Dept are sending me a replacement. The more I look at the strap the more I think it may be just a poor material weave. I will use it when I finally get my Canon leather case.

iloco Regular Member • Posts: 310

Sorry for so many questions but what kind of a leather case are you getting. I would like to have something that fits the camera real snug shen not in use.

I ride a Goldwing Motorcycle so its easy to use a camera with one hand when the crusie control is on and not on curvy roads.
--
iloco

Thomas Kachadurian
Thomas Kachadurian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,621

Calbrit wrote:

Just started using my S90 today and so far very pleased with it. As someone who mainly takes landscape photos I am now finding myself shooting indoor shots just because they look SO good with this little camera. I need to spend more time on outdoor shooting to see if the S90 is as sharp as I like. I haven't owned a G10 but so far from the postings I have seen here it looks like it produces the IQ I would be happy with (so may buy a used one at some stage). I did own a SD880 and the images seemed good most of the time.

Anyway, the S90 is a great camera to have in your hands and to me the build quality is excellent (so far). One thing that isn't is the supplied wrist strap which started shredding within the first hour of use. I could not understand what was happening until I discovered that the strap is like a magnet for the Velcro hooks on my Targus camera pouch (my temporary pouch until I get the Canon leather one). I am very careful with my equipment but didn't see this happening until it was too late.

So beware of this issue or better still do not use a camera pouch with Velcro. I have switched to a more robust wrist strap which does not catch.

Canon Wrist straps have done that for a long time. I have one from a Canon Video camera that did the same thing, right away.

Keep them away from velcro.

Tom

http://www.kachadurian.com

Thomas Kachadurian's gear list:Thomas Kachadurian's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
4 Fun New Member • Posts: 22

Calbrit can you tell me about the replacement wrist strap thanks!

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097

The strap is just plain lousy compared to those Canon includes for other cameras. It isn't adjustable (like on my Canon SD700 & 890) so you can't close it tight around your wrist. IMO, it could easily slip off your wrist. Bye, bye s90.

I contacted Canon and they said that they can only replace it with the same type. I have to say that I'm disappointed that Canon could be so cheap for a camera costing $400+! Bah humbug!

I'm buying a better strap.
--
gail ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb

My XSi/450D BLOG :: http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/canon-xsi-450d/xsi450d-overall-impressions/

Walt Bilofsky
Walt Bilofsky Contributing Member • Posts: 594
Agree - Lousy Strap

Yes, the strap is pathetic.

It's too large and lacks the sliding "keeper" to adjust to your wrist. The strap on my S80 is much better.

So the S80 strap is now on my S90.

Walt Bilofsky's gear list:Walt Bilofsky's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony RX100 IV
Walt Bilofsky
Walt Bilofsky Contributing Member • Posts: 594
Re: Agree - Lousy Strap

Walt Bilofsky wrote:

So the S80 strap is now on my S90.

And now that I remember it, the S80 had almost as bad a strap. I think the one I took off my S80 and onto the S90, was originally on my S45.

Walt Bilofsky's gear list:Walt Bilofsky's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony RX100 IV
Bryan Burton Regular Member • Posts: 176

Here is my simple low cost solution to the S90 slipping off my wrist.

$1 for two rubber washers at Lowes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bdburton/4035787594/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bdburton/4035787420/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bdburton/4035787238/

Simply slip the strap through the the rubber washer and adjust the strap.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bryan

sneakerpimp
sneakerpimp Senior Member • Posts: 1,089

here's my home made wrist strap made from a shoelace.

sneakerpimp's gear list:sneakerpimp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS M
JFScheck
JFScheck Regular Member • Posts: 222

Using my S70 strap for my S90.... That's old school...

-- hide signature --

John 'JFScheck' Scheck
'Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead.'

JFScheck's gear list:JFScheck's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +5 more
bklnwx New Member • Posts: 15

same here... Just switched my 4 year old S70 wrist strap (with it's easily adjustable slider) onto my new S90...much more secure feeling!

The S70 & S90 straps are nearly identical; only the S90 one is missing the adjustment slider.
Canon--spend the extra 10 cents to fix this!

Humble Bear Regular Member • Posts: 499

I use the strap from my SD870; much better.

Habemus_Canon Senior Member • Posts: 2,437
So buy a cord lock already!

They are only like 10 cents each. I put one on my S90 wrist strap and it's nearly perfect now.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=cord+locks

Habemus_Canon's gear list:Habemus_Canon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD600 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D +14 more
Bryan Burton Regular Member • Posts: 176

The strap solution I provided last October has been a solid fix for 4 months now. The original washer is still intact and shows no signs of fatigue. I carry this camera with me almost all the time so it has seen plenty of use.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bryan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads