Any G10 and G11 owners.

Started Oct 10, 2009 | Discussions
Cytokine Contributing Member • Posts: 688
Any G10 and G11 owners.

It would be interesting to see some daylight comparrisons, I have seen three comments so far 1) up to ISO 400 G10 is better, 2) G10 is more like his rebel than the G11. 3) G11 is better.

The fold out screen although I was beggining to warm to the idea, my fear about it turning the camera into a plastic point and shoot seems well founded. And very few people wanted it, except the reviewers kept mentioning it.

The S90 looks nice and would be IMO a great addition to the G10 and fit in small pockets, however while the night shots I have seen are excellant, the daylight comparrisons against the LX3 gave the edge to the LX3 in detail, although I found the Colour of the LX3 in jpeg so bad you have to wonder how it got a highly reccomended. (you would have to take a second camera to remember the colour of flowers etc).

John

freediverx
freediverx Regular Member • Posts: 364
Re: Any G10 and G11 owners.

I currently own both and am deciding which one to keep.

For me the fold out screen was a primary reason for buying the G11. Don't assume it has no value just because you have no use for it personally.

Cytokine wrote:

It would be interesting to see some daylight comparrisons, I have seen three comments so far 1) up to ISO 400 G10 is better, 2) G10 is more like his rebel than the G11. 3) G11 is better.

The fold out screen although I was beggining to warm to the idea, my fear about it turning the camera into a plastic point and shoot seems well founded. And very few people wanted it, except the reviewers kept mentioning it.

The S90 looks nice and would be IMO a great addition to the G10 and fit in small pockets, however while the night shots I have seen are excellant, the daylight comparrisons against the LX3 gave the edge to the LX3 in detail, although I found the Colour of the LX3 in jpeg so bad you have to wonder how it got a highly reccomended. (you would have to take a second camera to remember the colour of flowers etc).

John

freediverx's gear list:freediverx's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III
OP Cytokine Contributing Member • Posts: 688

FrediV,

I said I was warming to the idea if it was done well, but early indications show that may not be so.

Also the G10 has a slight Leica'esque quality.

John

moris Senior Member • Posts: 1,332

Maybe you don't use the swivel lcd but personally I didn't buy G7/9/10 just beacuse they didn't have the fold-out screen. Finally Canon brought it back to the G series. I'm so used to it on my A650 that I can't do without it now.
You see, Canon can't make everybody content at every model.
You just buy and use the camera convenient to you:)

Moris

Moris,

I can see the point for having it, but I have always been surprised by the number of people that dont like it, especialy in this market sector, where Camera manufacturers are competing with retro offeringd from Olympus etc. I dont think Leica will do one.

I was slightly negative about the idea but the first pictures of the camera looked ok so was dissapointed to read the quality issue.

Anyway any daylight pictures G10 V G11 welcome.

John

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,617
Why keep defending the G10

I have read thread after thread of yours and you make it plain that the G10 is for you.

Some of us like our G11. I own both and I welcome the reduced noise which I can see in my G10, even at lower ISO. The G10 is better in the respect.

You like yours and I like mine, Let us all enjoy what we got!
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Canon G1 X III Leica Q2 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Sony a6600
Ansonn Regular Member • Posts: 203

The swivel LCD is very useful in framing images. I have three cameras with this feature, an Olympus C5050Z A Canon SX10 IS and the Canon G11. I find it a worthwhile feature. It has helped me several times in getting a difficult shot. I belive most photographers like it. Ansonn

Re: Why keep defending the G10

Greg G,

I think the G11 is the first time in digital photo history when a Major camera manufacturer has reduced pixels in such a drastic way, so I am very interested in the real world results.

Also I believe that part of the reason they took this step was due in part to a very biased reviews from this site, I believe that camera reviewers should express a cameras faults but should not tell the manufacture how to design sensors, or express views that they are not qualified to express.

I would have liked to have seen Canon's G11 as it would have been if the G10 sensor had been fiven the credit it deserved.

John

I agree it is useful at times, but the G series rightly or wrongly has become something of an Icon and if they are going to add feature to the camera it should not be at the expense of build quality or IQ.

It all looks like the G series has a new and inexperienced brand manager who thought he could get better press by doing exactly what the press said as cheaply as possible.

A bit like getting Jeremy Clarkson to design a ferrari.

John

Jim Boutilier Senior Member • Posts: 1,085
G10 better feeling and low ISO IQ, but G11 no slouch and better high ISO IQ

I currently have a G9, G10, and G11 in the family (as well as an S90).

I thought the G9 was an great camera - quality feel, excellent ergonomics, great handling, good lens and IQ (particularly for its sensor size).

But the G10 was really special - premium quality look and feel with great attention to detail, better lens, and IQ that (in good light and 200iso or less) can rival or exceed that of some entry level DSLRs. I'm sure a lot of G10 owners have read http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml A truly impressive effort by Canon.

The G11 still looks and feels like a good quality product to me, but the attention to detail just isn't up to the G10's It looks and feels good rather than special. I've seen other cameras go from a fixed to a moveable LCD and in every case they lost some of their sturdy feel (the G10-> G11 is no exception).

My initial impressions is that up to 200iso in good light the G10 has better IQ than the G11. They seem to even out around 400iso and beyond 400 I prefer the IQ of the G11. So if you shoot outdoors a lot or in great lighting - keep your G10. If you are like me and also shoot a lot in less than ideal conditions or shoot in places a flash is frowned on, the G10 makes a lot of sense. The Camera itself might not have quite the look and feel of the G10, but its still in the top tier of its segment.

Regards
Jim

Jim Boutilier's gear list:Jim Boutilier's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple Aperture DxO Optics Pro Standard
rocsen
rocsen Contributing Member • Posts: 774
Re: G10 better feeling and low ISO IQ, but G11 no slouch and better high ISO IQ

Would be nice to see some examples...

Jim Boutilier wrote:

I thought the G9 was an great camera - quality feel, excellent ergonomics, great handling, good lens and IQ (particularly for its sensor size).

But the G10 was really special - premium quality look and feel with great attention to detail, better lens, and IQ that (in good light and 200iso or less) can rival or exceed that of some entry level DSLRs. I'm sure a lot of G10 owners have read http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml A truly impressive effort by Canon.

The G11 still looks and feels like a good quality product to me, but the attention to detail just isn't up to the G10's It looks and feels good rather than special. I've seen other cameras go from a fixed to a moveable LCD and in every case they lost some of their sturdy feel (the G10-> G11 is no exception).

My initial impressions is that up to 200iso in good light the G10 has better IQ than the G11. They seem to even out around 400iso and beyond 400 I prefer the IQ of the G11. So if you shoot outdoors a lot or in great lighting - keep your G10. If you are like me and also shoot a lot in less than ideal conditions or shoot in places a flash is frowned on, the G10 makes a lot of sense. The Camera itself might not have quite the look and feel of the G10, but its still in the top tier of its segment.

Regards
Jim

rocsen's gear list:rocsen's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD880 IS Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot S95
xxxtjw Regular Member • Posts: 250
Re: Why keep defending the G10

I will stick with my G10 - Thank you kindly.

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,604
Re:I think Canon did the right thing

Obviously you are more committed to the megapixel race than I am.

I have a G5, G9, G10 and G11. I think my G11 is quite possibly the best of them all.

But I seriously doubt they paid much atttention at all to reviewers at DPReview.

Cytokine wrote:

Greg G,

I think the G11 is the first time in digital photo history when a Major camera manufacturer has reduced pixels in such a drastic way, so I am very interested in the real world results.

Also I believe that part of the reason they took this step was due in part to a very biased reviews from this site, I believe that camera reviewers should express a cameras faults but should not tell the manufacture how to design sensors, or express views that they are not qualified to express.

I would have liked to have seen Canon's G11 as it would have been if the G10 sensor had been fiven the credit it deserved.

John

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +16 more
Re G10 Marina Photo

Thanks for posting, Lovely Photo, I live with a marina behind and the sea infront,
I have taken many Marina photos with the G10 here is the front view

John

Schnake Regular Member • Posts: 329
Re: G10 better feeling and low ISO IQ, but G11 no slouch and better high ISO IQ

So true, there is only one way to really tell if the G10 low ISO shots are actually better than that of the G11. Back to back comparisons!!

rocsen wrote:
Would be nice to see some examples...

Jim Boutilier wrote:

Regards
Jim

Robert Deutsch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,229

Cytokine wrote:

When the G7, the first G-series camera withaout a vari-angle LCD came out, there were many, many postings complaining about the omission of this feature. Because of the omission of the vari-angle LCD, one enthusiast web site dubbed the G7, G9, and G10 "GINOs"--G-In-Name-Only" cameras.

There have been no competent controlled comparisons between the S90 and the LX3. However the ISO80 shots at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=33311671 are better than anything I've seen from the LX3. The G11, which has the same sensor and a lens that may be a bit better than that of the S90, is expected to be at least as good.

Bob

John

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II

Bob,

I saw those S90 photos earlier and have to agree they are very good, I am no expert on the LX3.

John

xxxtjw Regular Member • Posts: 250
Re: Re G10 Marina Photo

Very nice!

Re: Re G10 Marina Photo

Thanks XXXTJW,

The other marina sunset I posted now page 2 I think is better

John

Nicholas Ahlfs New Member • Posts: 2

My first "articulating" viewfinder was found on a Nikon Coolpix 4500, a 4 megapixel gem. After using it for a few weeks, I put my trusty Canon New F1 in its case, and have never used it again.

My next digital camera was a Sony DSC-R1, an SLR-sized camera with a superb Carl Zeiss fixed lens and a cmos 10.3 sensor. It takes fantastic photos, but it's just to big to travel and hike with.

So I added a compact Canon A 640 with its vari-angle viewfinder...this is an outstanding camera ! But it's not waterproof. It got dowsed on a fishing trip and never recovered. So now I'm looking at a replacement...and the G11 is at the top of the list. Why? Vari-angle viewfinder, great analog controls, compact size, and excellent photo quality.

I agree, the vari-angle feature doesn't appeal to everyone, but I like it because it lets the photographer be unobtrusive, especially when you're trying to take candid photos of people. I've found that putting a camera at eye level scares people, causing them to turn away. Keeping the camera at waist level doesn't in most cases.

The bottom line: for travel photography I want a high quality camera of compact size, sharp lens, and a vari-angle viewfinder. The G-11 fills the bill exactly.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads