Belt pouch for G11?

Started Oct 9, 2009 | Discussions
Pro Jules Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: Belt pouch for G11?

At present I am using the included strap across my chest with the camera (no case) under my armpit (not IN my arm pit - under it) and as its winter, wearing a coat over it..

So I have to escape one arm from my jacket then put the strap over that arm to take a shot.

This BTW is for traveling around in a big city where i dont want to get mugged for it. I dont feel having dangling from my neck full time is a good idea nor do I like fanny packs or large belt cases.. (its cramps my clothing style)

Over here in Europe where we have no hand guns I am kind of getting a "secret agent" buzz about wearing it like this.

It worked real well for me on the subway and streets of NYC too..

I am only an amateur photographer so I dont mind it not being available instantly.. (And If I DID see something amazing I'm sure I could flap around like an idiot get my arm out of my jacket, list one arm out of the strap and free the camera to get a shot fairly quickly..)

Is it bad long term for the camera to cary it like this? My arm is soft the sides of my body are soft and I dont tend to crash that part of my body into hard objects.. And no, I am not sweating on the camera. It is cozy and dry.

Anyone here go 'commando" and use no case?

Pro Jules's gear list:Pro Jules's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Pro Jules Regular Member • Posts: 300

PS I saw some people pull G10's out of cargo pants but I gave those up several years ago.. Besides you could really smack it accidentally into something hard that way IMHO

Sorry for typos above, doing my best..

Pro Jules's gear list:Pro Jules's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
MarcosV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,359
FWIW, I settled for a wrist strap & the Lowepro G-Res 10

I did try the Canon 5100 case which was advertised on B&H as being compatible with the G11. It is. It has a magnetic latch and does have a belt loop. It fits around the G11 snuggly. It takes a bit of effor to get it out of the case, using both ends of the camera strap to get it out (camera fits into this case the long way which is nice orientation if you carry it on your belt). The 5100 doesn't have its own strap; you use the Canon neckstrap.

I found the Canon neckstrap to be a bit too short; I like the option of slinging the camera on one shoulder, under my arm. Also stuffing the strap under the 5100's lid is a pain, especially if you have the case belt mounted.

So in the end I went for a wrist strap that attaches to the right side of the camera in place of the Canon strap. I bought the OpTech USA wrist strap. The neopryne strap can be tightned securely on your wrist and has a quick release which lets you swap out the wrist strap for a neck strap (sold separately, $10 each)

Now using a wrist strap, I find the 5100 case to be awful. I can only pull the camera out of the case using one edge which makes it really hard to quickly get the camera out. THat might improve as the case stretches with use.

My solution was to buy the Lowepro G-Res 10 case from Amazon. This is a minamilst case that has enough room to hold the camera, orientated portrait (i.e., small end in) and lets the wrist strap hang out. The case has a removable neckstrap and does not have a front pocket. So it's the least bulky case I own.

I'm really happy with this setup. If I find I did need a front pocket to hold a spare battery and memory card, I'd buy one of the Tarmac bags mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

MarcosV's gear list:MarcosV's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,990
Re: Tamrac 5689

wolfpuppies3 wrote:

Thanks for the tip on the Tamrac 5689. It's just what I wanted.

Dave

www451oa Regular Member • Posts: 269
Re: FWIW, I settled for a wrist strap & the Lowepro G-Res 10

Thank you for the thoughts.

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

I found the Canon neckstrap to be a bit too short; I like the option of slinging the camera on one shoulder, under my arm. Also stuffing the strap under the 5100's lid is a pain, especially if you have the case belt mounted.

So in the end I went for a wrist strap that attaches to the right side of the camera in place of the Canon strap. I bought the OpTech USA wrist strap. The neopryne strap can be tightned securely on your wrist and has a quick release which lets you swap out the wrist strap for a neck strap (sold separately, $10 each)

I looked at that wrist strap online. Considered it and decided against it. I had a hard time picturing myself using it. I'm sure it's comfortable. Have you used this style before? thoughts?

Instead I went with the Canon WS20. Ordered & should be in on 20 Oct. Aside from konwing it'd be a perfect fit, it is similar to others I've used. $15

Now using a wrist strap, I find the 5100 case to be awful. I can only pull the camera out of the case using one edge which makes it really hard to quickly get the camera out. THat might improve as the case stretches with use.

My solution was to buy the Lowepro G-Res 10 case from Amazon. This is a minamilst case that has enough room to hold the camera, orientated portrait (i.e., small end in) and lets the wrist strap hang out. The case has a removable neckstrap and does not have a front pocket. So it's the least bulky case I own.

I hadn't checked out this bag yet, though looking online, seems a perfect size. Did you by chance compare it to the Apex 60? So far that seems to be my top contender. I'm looking for it to fit the camera, and have a small pocket for extra battery and to fit a few memory cards. Nothing very bulky.

I'm really happy with this setup. If I find I did need a front pocket to hold a spare battery and memory card, I'd buy one of the Tarmac bags mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Haven't seen these in store yet. I like to get it in my hands prior to purchasing to inspect it's charcteristics, form and function.

DigiPops
DigiPops Regular Member • Posts: 226
Thanks!!!

camerabear wrote:

From what I've read, Canon isn't selling the everready case in the US. It can be purchased on Ebay.

Thanks for that bit of info.

After thinking about it a little more, I decided that if I want to set the G11 on my tripod, I would have to unscrew the case, and then screw on the quick release base plate to slip it onto the ball head. Seems that the "Ever ready" may be more cumbersome to deal with. I've decided to go with another case from "Case Logic". It is a zippered case, but the front and back are hard shell. Easy "In and Out" seems more practical for me.

I'm still getting used to the G11 after stepping up from the "A" line of point & shoot and using several of the EOS bodies for a number of years. Just another learning curve in my livelihood.

MarcosV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,359
Re: FWIW, I settled for a wrist strap & the Lowepro G-Res 10

http://www451oa wrote:

Thank you for the thoughts.

I looked at that wrist strap online. Considered it and decided against it. I had a hard time picturing myself using it. I'm sure it's comfortable. Have you used this style before? thoughts?

Yes, I've used this style before. The OpTech USA strap uses a thin cord to save bulk -- nearly as thin as the straps that Canon uses for the Elph series of P&S. But, it's definitely strong enough carry the weight of the G11 with a 580EX flash attached. The strap- has a loop that can optionally cinche the strap around your wrist. You don't need to do this normally, but, it's a great option, especially if you allow someone else to use the camera.

Instead I went with the Canon WS20. Ordered & should be in on 20 Oct. Aside from konwing it'd be a perfect fit, it is similar to others I've used. $15

Interesting strap. Definitely made to carry heavier cameras and so would be perfect for those who want extra security.

I hadn't checked out this bag yet, though looking online, seems a perfect size. Did you by chance compare it to the Apex 60? So far that seems to be my top contender. I'm looking for it to fit the camera, and have a small pocket for extra battery and to fit a few memory cards. Nothing very bulky.

Yes. I've looked at the Apex 60. To me, with battery, the Apex is a little bulkier than I wanted. It also uses a zipper instead of a flap and so would take a little extra time to get the camera in/out of the bag. However, the Apex 60 protects the camera better against the elements and has extra space to stuff in the strap. I haven't verified how it would look with a spare battery I do plan on buying a 2nd case for that purpose.

MarcosV's gear list:MarcosV's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
iloco Regular Member • Posts: 310

Will the mountain smith hold the G11 and a extra battery and memory card.

I ride a Goldwing motorcycle and I need a compact as possible bag for my G11 so as to not take up to much space which as it is I don't have a lot if on a 2-3 week trip.

A bag that would hold the G11, spare memory card, spare battery and the battery charger would be preferred if possible.

Any ideas on what I might get for my situation. I prefer a Lowepro product but would consider others.
--
iloco

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,617
You are right the Rezo 50 is WAY better than the 60

I had no idea how much bigger the Rezo 60 was!

You can get much else in with it but that is fine with me as it is the most compact I have found. The Tamrac below has rather a weak belt loop where the Rezo 50 is super heavey duty.

It is my pick

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Canon G1 X III Leica Q2 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Sony a6600
DavidPJ Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: You are right the Rezo 50 is WAY better than the 60

I bought the Lowenpro Rezo 50 case and I'm pretty happy with it for the G11. It's a little snug, but it's exactly what I wanted.
--
Canon Powershot Elph SD890IS
Sony HDR-HC7 HD MiniDV Camcorder

Snail69 Regular Member • Posts: 373

@ iloco: The LowePro Apex 100 AW should fit your needs. Mine fits everything you require but I carry the 270EX speedlight instead of the charger. I've got 2 of the NB-7Ls and if I need to will carry the charger separately in another gear bag. The AW aspect should be particulary useful to you since you ride a bike.
--
Nigel

R5D4
R5D4 Contributing Member • Posts: 858
Kata DF 408

Just got my G11 and can verify that the Kata DF-408 is a VERY NICE, snug fit. There is absolutely no extra space anywhere, in fact the camera will stay in the case if you hold it upside down with the lid open. You could fit a memory card in the front pocket, but that is about it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562244-REG/Kata_KT_DF_408_DF_408_Digital_Flap_Pouch.html

R5D4's gear list:R5D4's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +5 more
iloco Regular Member • Posts: 310
Re: Thanks

Today at BB I found the Edit 100 made by lowepro and bought it.

It works great for my needs. I carry my camera in the tour pak if its bad weather.

I carry around my neck in good weather when riding so its always ready for taking pictures.
--
iloco

Mr. Jalapeno Contributing Member • Posts: 970
Mountainsmit Cyber II

Thanks to all for the recommendations here!

After careful study of measurements and materials, I chose the Mountainsmith Cyber II (large). It's only 1/2 thicker with same height/width measurements as the slim Tamrac 5689, yet has more robust padding and room to tuck a wrist or neck strap in. All for just $18!

Thanks again to all!

ZoranC Veteran Member • Posts: 5,569
Re: Kata DF 408

pokesfan wrote:

Just got my G11 and can verify that the Kata DF-408 is a VERY NICE, snug fit. There is absolutely no extra space anywhere, in fact the camera will stay in the case if you hold it upside down with the lid open. You could fit a memory card in the front pocket, but that is about it.

Thank you! How it gets attached to belt?

Mr. Jalapeno Contributing Member • Posts: 970
Re: Kata DF 408

Thank you! How it gets attached to belt?

You can see here:

http://kata-bags.com/product.asp?Version=Photo&p_Id=420

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads