Find a Russian skite has G11 ISO chart/tools

Started Oct 5, 2009 | Discussions
eggyolk Contributing Member • Posts: 609
Re: Find a Russian skite has G11 ISO chart/tools

True, everybody has to choose their tradeoffs themselves, these files help me. More will be welcome...

Re: Find a Russian skite has G11 ISO chart/tools

I don't think it's darker so much as it's that the increased DR has lowered the contrast some...

edtav Junior Member • Posts: 32
Compared same shots to Lx3

http://pixinfo.com/cikkek/panasonic_lumix_dmc-lx3.6

The LX3 shots of the coin and bill look alot better to me than both the G11 and s90..especially at iso 800.

Can only Hope this is due to the fact these samples are from pre-production models.

helimech Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Re: Compared same shots to Lx3

Well Canon is definetly using more NR by default. Even so there isn't allot more detail in the LX3 shot but there is some. Too bad they don't have G1 RAW samples, that would be a better test.

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
notpistolpete New Member • Posts: 21

Its amazing that we have gone full circle. Screaming at Canon to reduce the MP's and stop the madness (reduced the noise). Now they have listened and we are upset that we may have lost some of the resolution (may have lost since there is still only a single review of these cameras and they where preproduction models). Myself I sold my g10 for the s90 or g11. I should've been more patient. Time will tell.

Robert Deutsch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,229

notpistolpete wrote:

Its amazing that we have gone full circle. Screaming at Canon to reduce the MP's and stop the madness (reduced the noise). Now they have listened and we are upset that we may have lost some of the resolution (may have lost since there is still only a single review of these cameras and they where preproduction models).

Exactly! When the G10 came out people were screaming from the rooftops that Canon was going in the wrong direction by participating in (or even leading) the megapixel race, and that the G9, which had fewer pixels, was better than the G10, and that the G7, which had even fewer pixels, was better still. Panasonic was commended for not going along with the "megapixel myth," producing the LX3 (which, in fact, had a slightly higher pixel count and only marginally lower density than its predecessor.) The G10 was castigated for having too much noise, some even appearing at base level. Why can't Canon understand that we don't want more and more pixels? We want fewer pixels and less noise! And who needs 14.7MP? Maybe people who print posters. 6MP is plenty for all normal size printing.

So now that Canon actually appears to have listened to these demands, what do we hear? Give us more pixels! The G10 is better! Noise in not important!

Myself I sold my g10 for the s90 or g11. I should've been more patient. Time will tell.

Relax. From what I've seen so far, the G11 is a camera that will perform overall better than the G10. In line with the lower pixel count, the measured resolution at ISO80 will be somewhat lower than that of the G10, but there's more to IQ than resolution. My 5D has 12.7MP, significantly lower than the 14.7MP of the G10, but few would claim that the IQ of the G10 is superior. I hold the G10 in high regard, and enjoyed using it, but I'm moving on to the G11 with no regrets.

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II

fwiw, I never screamed at them for all the resolution. I don't think the level of screaming was helped much by dpreviw's review. The G10 is a harder camera to shoot than a 5d, that's for sure, it's definately not a point and shoot by any means. I've loved the files from it since I bought it. I have to confess I like them more than the 5d's I've shot, or my 450D's files. I like ccd's!

I think the G11's raw files will be excellent, little less resolution for a little more DR, not a bad idea at all. It seems to me that Canon went a bit overboard with the jpeg NR in the G11, understandably as everyone was screaming about noise...

At the end of the day, they're both good cameras, just designed to different tastes.

edtav Junior Member • Posts: 32

I guess the point is, why does the lx3 which also has a 10 mp sensor, appear to have better quality (atleast at iso 800) even though its technology is over a year older?

LX3 has a lot more DR than the G10, G11 guess we'll see. The main reason I don't go over 400 with the G10 is because canon kills the saturation above 400, the noise doesn't bother me. That saturation thing sucks, though.

400's fine with me.

Oh.

Misunderstood what you said. I don't think it's clear that the LX3 is better than the G11 at 800, people have been concerned about the lower iso performance of the G11.

LX3 color sucks anyway.

helimech Contributing Member • Posts: 598

edtav wrote:

I guess the point is, why does the lx3 which also has a 10 mp sensor, appear to have better quality (atleast at iso 800) even though its technology is over a year older?

Well it(LX3) appears to use less NR on the JPEG, we will have to see some RAW comparisons before making any claims about which sensor is better.

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads