Find a Russian skite has G11 ISO chart/tools

Started Oct 5, 2009 | Discussions
jackyyuen Regular Member • Posts: 394
Find a Russian skite has G11 ISO chart/tools

No sure if anyone post it before.

http://pixinfo.com/cikkek/canon_powershot_g11_pre.7

ISO 1600 seems acceptable. I hope my preorder S90 will perform about the same.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Beginner who love 5D2 since the day 1
http://alohaeveryone.com
JY

OP jackyyuen Regular Member • Posts: 394
Re: Find a Russian site has G11 ISO chart/tools

http://pixinfo.com/cikkek/canon_powershot_s90_pre.6

-- hide signature --

JY

Cpt Haddock Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Find a Russian skite has G11 ISO chart/tools

It's not russian, characters are roman. It's an hungarian website

The google translation is ... uh ... perfectible, but seems to indicate the review is just preliminary, based upon a beta firmware version

Cpt Haddock's gear list:Cpt Haddock's gear list
Ricoh GR
Luciano Morpurgo Contributing Member • Posts: 710

I didnt manage to use the google translator from hungarian (unless I copy sentence by sentence) but the reviews seem to be pretty much in-depth. The samples look the same quality to me, this is pushing me towards the s90.
Luc

-- hide signature --
 Luciano Morpurgo's gear list:Luciano Morpurgo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D +9 more

After compare S90 vs G11. I did find G11 has better ISO1600 to my eyes.

Do you guys agree?

I am worry about ISO1600 since that is what I am planning to use most. If ISO1600 perform well enough for small print, I don't have to carry my heavy 5DmarkII with me all the time.

-- hide signature --

JY

Luciano Morpurgo Contributing Member • Posts: 710

jackyyuen wrote:

I am worry about ISO1600 since that is what I am planning to use most. If ISO1600 perform well enough for small print, I don't have to carry my heavy 5DmarkII with me all the time.

After some pixel peeping I have decided that images 1 and 4 at iso 1600 look sliiightly better with g11, but if you're concerned about small prints, then it wouldn't make any difference - and probably neither it would with big prints - and I would consider more the other aspects (i.e. body, ergonomics, portability, display, controls etc) which are way more important imho. I'd say that if you are not limited to the idea of putting your second camera in a jacket (like I am...almost) then the g11 suits you better.

Luc

-- hide signature --

JY

-- hide signature --
 Luciano Morpurgo's gear list:Luciano Morpurgo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D +9 more
valkyrite Regular Member • Posts: 156

My eyes hurt now (after pixel peeping for a long time). I opened two browser windows and put them side by side and compared the images at all isos.

My verdict: There is not noticeable difference between the two.

Canon S90 images are a bit darker (less exposure) so they look a bit nicer to my eyes.

Schnake Regular Member • Posts: 329

Your right! I think one would be pushing to see to much of a noticable difference aside from what you point out regarding exposure.

Certainly gives me some confidence in the S90's ability. Hopefully the lens will be sharp point to point.

valkyrite wrote:

My eyes hurt now (after pixel peeping for a long time). I opened two browser windows and put them side by side and compared the images at all isos.

My verdict: There is not noticeable difference between the two.

Canon S90 images are a bit darker (less exposure) so they look a bit nicer to my eyes.

helimech Contributing Member • Posts: 598
S90 has more barrel distortion

The ISO 800 shots i opened the S90 definetly has more distortion, and based on some the raw files available this is after the camera has corrected. Not much detail in those shots for corners but I will put money on the 90 having soft corners, just a matter of how much and how bad.

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
helimech Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Interesting to compare to F200EXR

http://pixinfo.com/cikkek/fujifilm_finepix_f200_exr.2

Its not in the F200's S/N mode but the G11/S90 kills it at the 800ISO that I looked at.

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Re: S90 has more barrel distortion

Yes, this is true! The G11 does very well in this area in comparison.

helimech wrote:

The ISO 800 shots i opened the S90 definetly has more distortion, and based on some the raw files available this is after the camera has corrected. Not much detail in those shots for corners but I will put money on the 90 having soft corners, just a matter of how much and how bad.

to me barrel distortion is a nice thing to have in some way.

Wide angle with distortion can have some pretty good effect for portraits, I am ok with that.

And I agree the S90 lens seems not as good as the G11

-- hide signature --

JY

Interesting to see that these tests were undertaken on September 9. There is a fair chance that these were taken with a pre-production model.

oluv Senior Member • Posts: 1,973
G11 worse than G10?

depends on what one is after. regarding high-iso the G11 might have the edge, but at base-iso the G10 seems to smoke the G11 detailwise, resolving much more details (have a look at the writing to the bottom right, which is fully readable in the G10 crop but not in the G11 crop).

at iso800 the G11 might have a more pleasant overall look, but scaling the G11 down seems to equalize both...

i am not sure if reducing sensor resolution was really the best decision:

oluv's gear list:oluv's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
Re: G11 worse than G10?

Wouldn't that have to do with the fact that the G10 has 15MP and the G11 10MP?

oluv Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

Schnake wrote:

Wouldn't that have to do with the fact that the G10 has 15MP and the G11 10MP?

sure it has. 15mp just resolve more resolution than 10mp. and 15mp scaled down to 10mp still retain more resolution than native 10mp, as you can see here, where i scaled down the G10 image to G11 size:

at iso800 the G11 has less noise but also much more obvious NR-artefacts. to tell the truth i prefer the G10, it has a bit more grain, but also looks more natural:

oluv's gear list:oluv's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228

I wonder if there may be another reason for the easily discernable difference.
Hmmmm.....

eggyolk Contributing Member • Posts: 609

Thank you for posting these.

About 15-20 points difference between black and white text on the chart, G11 has more DR. Bronze color is too yellow with G11. Resolution of the G10 kills the G11, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Thank you again, enlightening.

Perhaps it's merely a matter of trade-offs?

Blow anything up to a large enough size and you'll always be able to discern the resolution difference. The REAL question is whether the trade-off of better high iso performance is worth the decreased resolution. Not sure that pixel peeping is the best way to choose. The question of whether the G11's resolution is good "enough" at base iso remains to be "seen" at this point. Too few samples and zero pro reviews.

I also wonder why the G11's color is darker....and which of the two cameras is more accurate in this regard.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads