DA21 broken into two, advice needed for repair

Started Oct 4, 2009 | Discussions
dieda Regular Member • Posts: 245
DA21 broken into two, advice needed for repair

Hi,

my beloved, always-on, all-purpose lens, the DA21 is after an automatic self-disassemble. Looks now like this:

I hope you will still be able to sleep after seeing this. I see actually no sign of a broken piece, the thing just became wobbly, and after a bit of fiddling it just separated into two. Is it the glue having worn off?

Is it easy to repair? Do I need to send it to the official repair center (that is Hamburg, Germany for me, even though I live in Hungary....) or it is supposed to be a routine job for any skilled photo-repairman?

Any help is appreciated,

David

-- hide signature --
*isteve Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509
Re: DA21 broken into two, advice needed for repair

Judging from your shots, looks like the lock screw that stops the internal assembly from rotating fell out. As a result the lens will separate if rotated in the correct way judging from the shots.

Should be easy to fix if you find a repair centre. Nothing looks broke, but I cant really tell from here.

dieda wrote:

Hi,

my beloved, always-on, all-purpose lens, the DA21 is after an automatic self-disassemble. Looks now like this:

I hope you will still be able to sleep after seeing this. I see actually no sign of a broken piece, the thing just became wobbly, and after a bit of fiddling it just separated into two. Is it the glue having worn off?

Is it easy to repair? Do I need to send it to the official repair center (that is Hamburg, Germany for me, even though I live in Hungary....) or it is supposed to be a routine job for any skilled photo-repairman?

Any help is appreciated,

David

-- hide signature --

Steve

Any fool can take a picture OF something. Its much harder to take a picture ABOUT something.

Marbuel Contributing Member • Posts: 656

Well .. looks scary! I hope that this was just a Limited batch of lenses!
Marek

OP dieda Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: DA21 broken into two, back from repair - one piece less!

The stroy went on like this:

the local repairman fixed it and now I can use it, autofocus, aperture control is alright. BUT he took out a piece, the metal brush was dented and he ordered one, still we need to wait a couple weeks before it arrives and I willl bring back my lens to have that put back in. So how can my lens work flawlessly without the electiric contact of the two pieces??? What am I missing? Is it only the MTF data I can't make use of?

Weird,

David
--
http://www.dieda.extra.hu

PentaxNick Senior Member • Posts: 1,579
Re: DA21 broken into two, back from repair - one piece less!

Check the EXIF data to see if the camera recognises the lens.

Nick

PentaxNick's gear list:PentaxNick's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100T Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X100F +13 more
neuron09 Contributing Member • Posts: 691
toughness of DA lenses

Wow, that self disassembly is strange!

I recently had an opposite experience. I was traveling in Yosemite National Park and had pulled over at a stop in the "high country" (Olmstead Point), opened the rear door on the driver side, where I had carelessly put my camera after a last stop, and with the angle of pavement, etc, my K100D with DA40 (with a polarizer and, thankfully, a metal hood) went rolling out of the car onto the pavement. The car (a Honda CRV) was packed with bikes, etc, with the rear seat folded down, so the height of the fall was not small. My heart stopped, but the camera fell on the hood (a bit scratched and dented) seeming to absorb the impact. I have look carefully for misalignment issues, etc, that might have happened with the jarring of the camera and lens, but all is okay.

OP dieda Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: toughness of DA lenses

Actually in general I have the same sort of experience with my pentax stuff as you have, I do not like to care about my possessions I want to use them. And by me that means that all my lens hoods are loosing paint but gaining on dents. And the pentax stuff seems to withold my carelessness so far. Maybe my lens just needed a break. And it had one!

-- hide signature --
ajoshi Regular Member • Posts: 116

No WAY!!!
my FA50 did the exact same self disassembly a few weeks ago!
Never thought I'd see another one so soon
Scary sight, especially in person.

My lens was still under warranty and the repair details when it came back from Pentax Canada says they replaced focusing ring.. which they obviously didn't .. strange.

nbela Senior Member • Posts: 1,088
Re: toughness of DA lenses

I'm happy you've got it fixed, we are not to spoiled with camera/lens (and last of all - Pentax stuff) service places here in Hungary...

Sok szerencsét!
--
Bela Nagy
http://www.speopixel.hu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nbela/
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/belanagy

nbela's gear list:nbela's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +3 more
Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,532

I'm lot going to let Tiger Woods use my DA 21 for a practice ball any more.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads