SX200 or SD980??

Started Sep 24, 2009 | Discussions
Echo3x New Member • Posts: 7
SX200 or SD980??

I am looking to purchase a new camera and have had positive experiences with Canon. I am debating between the SX200 and the SD980. As far as IQ goes, I am not sure which one would be better. I like the more manual controls on the SX200, but the SD980 has the wider angle lens.

Between the two, which would be the better pick?

Thanks.

KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,990
Re: SX200 or SD980??

Echo3x wrote:

I am looking to purchase a new camera and have had positive experiences with Canon. I am debating between the SX200 and the SD980. As far as IQ goes, I am not sure which one would be better. I like the more manual controls on the SX200, but the SD980 has the wider angle lens.

Between the two, which would be the better pick?

Thanks.

I personally don't really think too much of either one of them, unfortunately. I have the SD980 and although it is nice for the range, it is really small and a little hard to handle. The image quality is passable, but somehow doesn't live up to my expectations.

My G10, my SX10 IS, my SD990 IS, or even my SX110 ....they all shine with Canon image quality and color. But the more I use the SD980, the more I think I'm going to sell it. The SX200 is a lot larger the SD980. It's a compact super-zoom. I've never used it so I really can't comment on it other than to say it didn't do too well the DPreview's compact super zoom review.

Dave

Mike G. Senior Member • Posts: 1,276

I too am a long time Canon fan going back to SLR days. And, I have an sx200 that I like for its manual controls and wide zoom range and generally good IQ. But, it has it limits, including mediocre low light performance. If I don't plan to need extreme the extreme zoom range, I carry the Panasonic LX-3 with an f2.0 24 - 60mm lens. The F2.8 lens of the SD980 only lets in half the light of an f 2.0 lens of the LX3. However, if you don't need manual controls or great low light performance, the SD980 is probably a great choice.
You can read more about the LX3 here.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/page17.asp

Unfortunately, IMHO, Canon doesn't really have anything to compete with the LX3 unless the S90 turns out to be better than preliminary reports I have seen. And, it does not have HD video.

If video is at all important to you, both the LX3 and the the SD980 do HD video as does the SX200.

IN any case, go to a camera store and handle the cameras you are considering. Check size, weight, controls, etc. and take lots of pics on your own SD card and go home and compare features and pictures and decide.
Good luck,

Mike G.

Radu P Senior Member • Posts: 2,338

I have the A570is (which has a much lower pixel density) and the SD980, and I am very happy with the SD980, except for the lack of manual controls.

I decided to get the SD980 over the SX200 because of size and the fact that the samples I've seen of the SX200 tele are not good at all.

One other thing to consider, if you want CHDK, the SX200 almost has a CHDK version working, so it's just a matter of time before you have it. The SD980, on the other hand, is kind of nasty to port. I am working at a port, but it is very frustrating so far, due to the firmware being slightly different than the 'standard'.

Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,073

Echo3x wrote:

I am looking to purchase a new camera and have had positive experiences with Canon. I am debating between the SX200 and the SD980.

If you're considering the SX200, and if you're interested in a wider wide end, I'd recommend taking DPReview's advice, and check out the Panasonic ZS3 instead.

I recently did some horse-trading and traded my ZS3 away -- "I can always go get another one." But, when the time came to head into the store, I figured I'd give the SX200 a shot, instead. Oh, man. It's not even close. I just want a long-zoom camera to have sitting in a bag, for when I need it, while I use a pocket camera for most of my shooting. And the SX200 will suffice for that. But, as a bigger-yet-still-pocketable, all-around camera, the ZS3 just shines. It's great fun to use, while the SX200 is, well, "a load."

The image quality isn't really that far off between the two cameras -- I was more than happy with the ZS3's "vivid" color mode, and the SX200 has good, old "Canon color." But I'm talking more about routine, everyday handling -- the ZS3 is just "more inviting" -- "more fun." It just fits in the hand better, has a better screen, and so on -- it's just a joy to use. I'd easily recommend it to anyone who might be interested in one of the "pocket superzooms."

Tom Hoots
http://thoots.zenfolio.com

chris33 Contributing Member • Posts: 642
To the OP ----> Re: SX200 or SD980??

I personally tested (and dismissed) both the SX200 and the TZ3 compact superzooms.

Reason was I happened to test the Casio H10 and fell in love with it.

The samples below shows sharpness and color at:

24millimeter:

100millimeter:

240 millimeter:

...And finally another 24mm picture:

Chris

OP Echo3x New Member • Posts: 7
Thanks!

Thanks for the input guys! I just read more stuff about the ZS3 and I guess thats the camera that everyone is going for. Wow, I already have a funny feeling about jumping ship to another brand since I've been using Canon's in the past.

So many choices!

Re: To the OP ----> Re: SX200 or SD980??

Not a bad camera, but there is a lot of CA and the corners are pretty soft in macro and wide angle modes..
My SD980 has really nice corners, even at 24mm, that's why I got it.

chris33 Contributing Member • Posts: 642

There is more CA in SX200...

Beleive me, I have both...

Well...

Chris

Radu P wrote:

Not a bad camera, but there is a lot of CA and the corners are pretty soft in macro and wide angle modes..
My SD980 has really nice corners, even at 24mm, that's why I got it.

chris33 wrote:

There is more CA in SX200...

Beleive me, I have both...

Oh, yes, SX200 is very CA-ish, that's one of the reasons I didn't get it. For 3 weeks, I looked at pretty much all the camera models, and considered the SX200 (but too big and CA-ish), the SZ3 (no manual controls, no CHDK ever), the S90 (not out yet, CAs, expensive), SD940 (soft corners), and eventually settled for the SD980 which is a really great camera, and I couldn't be more happy with it.

OP Echo3x New Member • Posts: 7

So you think the SD980 wouldnt be a bad choice then?

I have the SD780 and its a great pocket cam, but want a camera that has better IQ which has a "pop" to it. The IQ on the 780 is a bit on the soft side. Would you say the SD980 would provide sharper IQ than the 780?

Echo3x wrote:

So you think the SD980 wouldnt be a bad choice then?

I have the SD780 and its a great pocket cam, but want a camera that has better IQ which has a "pop" to it. The IQ on the 780 is a bit on the soft side. Would you say the SD980 would provide sharper IQ than the 780?

Well, I don't have the SD780, but check out my samples:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/radu_privantu/sets/72157622420853460/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/radu_privantu/sets/72157622215284309/

And keep in mind that you have 24mm at the wide end.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads