Canon price jump Oct. 1

Started Sep 24, 2009 | Discussions
JMCO
JMCO Senior Member • Posts: 1,132
Canon price jump Oct. 1

Canon is raising prices 10% Oct. 1 (according to an email I got from a large photo supply shop in the NY/NJ/CT area).

Significant for Sony users because, gulp, Sony/Nikon might/likely will raise prices too, at some point.

Significant for Sony users because this is another reason to not go with Canon.

 JMCO's gear list:JMCO's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Nikon D810 Phase One Capture One Pro +2 more
KC Kennedy Senior Member • Posts: 2,440
I'm still going with Canon

Sony has no video feature, so therefore no future on a long run

Why couldn't Sony put video in new dslrs? Nikon, Canon, Pentax have it, why not Sony? That's it, I'm switching to Canon.

baldheretic Regular Member • Posts: 250
Re: I'm still going with Canon

Adios!

-- hide signature --
fjbyrne
fjbyrne Veteran Member • Posts: 8,346
Re: Canon price jump Oct. 1

JMCO wrote:

Canon is raising prices 10% Oct. 1 (according to an email I got from a large photo supply shop in the NY/NJ/CT area).

Significant for Sony users because, gulp, Sony/Nikon might/likely will raise prices too, at some point.

Significant for Sony users because this is another reason to not go with Canon.

It would be a great time for Sony not to raise prices if possible. They need an edge over Canon/Nikon and price is always a popular one.

-- hide signature --

Rick

 fjbyrne's gear list:fjbyrne's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a6000 +10 more
JMCO
OP JMCO Senior Member • Posts: 1,132
Re: I'm still going with Canon

Bye.

 JMCO's gear list:JMCO's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Nikon D810 Phase One Capture One Pro +2 more
KC Kennedy Senior Member • Posts: 2,440
No, thanks

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=32543136

I use a semi-pro HDR-FX1 to shoot video and 2 a700's to take photos, I'm a happy camper (unlike some).
Did you buy a d300 yet?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=32897196

Forgive my sacrasm, but weren't you the one whining about sony and no video in about 5 different posts that you started yourself about NO VIDEO?


Cheers.

Stan_P Senior Member • Posts: 1,536
sad and stupid

Known approach before christmas. Raise 10% first to lower for same 10% during holidays. What a scam.

Hope Sony will not follow them and I'll get A850 around Christmas. Thought, having A850 for fall landscapes, leaves, creeks would be very nice...

robirobi Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: I'm still going with Canon

I still think lots of photographers are not even interested in shooting videos with a dSLR... I rather have a good working AF system in live view mode in case I need it to take the picture.

KC Kennedy wrote:

Sony has no video feature, so therefore no future on a long run

Why couldn't Sony put video in new dslrs? Nikon, Canon, Pentax have it, why not Sony? That's it, I'm switching to Canon.

eye-spy Senior Member • Posts: 1,432
Re: I'm still going with Canon

robirobi wrote:

I still think lots of photographers are not even interested in shooting videos with a dSLR... I rather have a good working AF system in live view mode in case I need it to take the picture.

ironically improvements in contrast detect AF (which is what is required in main sensor live view mode) will be a driven by the demand for Video in DSLRs as that is the primary way of achieving AF focusing.

KC Kennedy wrote:

Sony has no video feature, so therefore no future on a long run

Why couldn't Sony put video in new dslrs? Nikon, Canon, Pentax have it, why not Sony? That's it, I'm switching to Canon.

-- hide signature --

Praise be to Sony for saving the A mount.

Anastigmat Forum Pro • Posts: 12,664
Re: I'm still going with Canon

KC Kennedy wrote:

Sony has no video feature, so therefore no future on a long run

Why couldn't Sony put video in new dslrs? Nikon, Canon, Pentax have it, why not Sony? That's it, I'm switching to Canon.

And you will switch back to Sony after Sony puts video in their DSLR cameras, but not before they raise prices 10%.

Anastigmat Forum Pro • Posts: 12,664
Re: Canon price jump Oct. 1

I am not sure about that. Nikon did not raise prices when it introduced the D300S. But Canon raised the price of the 60D (AKA the "7D"), by a whopping $600.

JMCO wrote:

Canon is raising prices 10% Oct. 1 (according to an email I got from a large photo supply shop in the NY/NJ/CT area).

Significant for Sony users because, gulp, Sony/Nikon might/likely will raise prices too, at some point.

Significant for Sony users because this is another reason to not go with Canon.

JBLanteigne Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: Canon price jump Oct. 1

Now I'm really stuck.

I currently shoot a Nikon D300 and I want to upgrade to full frame and have a full hd video feature (aka 5D mk2) But I dislike many things about Canon's interface and cameras. So I'm currently waiting for the annoncement of the D700x/D700s, I'm aware that Nikon might not give me the video feature I need. If so, I'll go with Canon anyway.

But if waiting for Nikon means Canon will cost more in a weeks... then I don't know what to do.

I tried the 5D2 a few times and damn the interface sucks. I hate these 2 dials, they aren't smooth like Nikon's. Also, if I change my wb to kelvin, I have to do in the friggen menu to change the kelvin degree value.. how dumb is that on a pro body? Also, the viewfinder is not 100%, autofocus has 11 points and isn't as good... etc..

Besides the FF and video, the 5D2 is a downgrade compared to the Nikon D300... Would you downgrade your equipment for MORE money?

dr4gon Regular Member • Posts: 192
Re: Canon price jump Oct. 1

I don't understand how the 5D2 is a downgrade from the D300. As for the performance of the two cameras, the 5D2 wins. That said, they're different cameras. The 5D2 is clearly not designed for sports and fast action. You gotta just pick one.

But seriously, why the hell is this in the Sony forum?

JBLanteigne wrote:

Now I'm really stuck.

I currently shoot a Nikon D300 and I want to upgrade to full frame and have a full hd video feature (aka 5D mk2) But I dislike many things about Canon's interface and cameras. So I'm currently waiting for the annoncement of the D700x/D700s, I'm aware that Nikon might not give me the video feature I need. If so, I'll go with Canon anyway.

But if waiting for Nikon means Canon will cost more in a weeks... then I don't know what to do.

I tried the 5D2 a few times and damn the interface sucks. I hate these 2 dials, they aren't smooth like Nikon's. Also, if I change my wb to kelvin, I have to do in the friggen menu to change the kelvin degree value.. how dumb is that on a pro body? Also, the viewfinder is not 100%, autofocus has 11 points and isn't as good... etc..

Besides the FF and video, the 5D2 is a downgrade compared to the Nikon D300... Would you downgrade your equipment for MORE money?

-- hide signature --
JBLanteigne Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: Canon price jump Oct. 1

dr4gon wrote:

I don't understand how the 5D2 is a downgrade from the D300. As for the performance of the two cameras, the 5D2 wins. That said, they're different cameras. The 5D2 is clearly not designed for sports and fast action. You gotta just pick one.

Built quality, the D300 has a better sealing.
AF: the D300 has 51 points and they are more reliable than the 5D2's points

The viewfinder, I understand that the D300 has a smaller viewfinder but the 5D2's viewfinder is not 100% and this is something that would annoy me a lot.

The interface: I have to go in the menu to change the kelvin value of my my kelvin wb, this is something I expect from sub 1000$ bodies, not on a 3000+$ FF body. Also, the buttons overall feel cheaper and I feel that most of the options are placed at very unlogical positions on the camera that makes it far from being ergonomic for my hands. I understand that I'm used to my D300 but why is it that once I bought the D300, most of my experience was with Canon DSLRs and it took me about 10 minutes to get used to every commonly used features of the D300? Even the way you delete a single picture is more complicated than Nikon's way. Also, the 5D2 lacks many buttons that are on a D300: spot metering dedicated button (you have to press the white balance button on the 5D2) Fn button in front of the camera, AF-L, AE-L, instant control of the AF points without the need of pressing again another button like on the 5D2 (it's also much easier to select an AF point with the D300's pad than with a dial... and finally the AF modes (single point, auto, etc.) the D300 has a dedicated button for this also.

I understand that some people are probably more comfortable with the Canon layout but for me, there's no comparaison, Canon is crippled

To me the lens choice also comes into consideration, once I upgrade to FF, I'm expecting a 14-24 ƒ 2.8.. lens that I can't get with Canon.

These are the reasons why I really don't want to go with Canon.

But if in the end Nikon doesn't offer a camera that does what I need (FF and 1080p video with full manual control) I won't have any choice...

novak977 Senior Member • Posts: 1,400
Re: I'm still going with Canon

I switched to Canon (5DKMII) and came back to Sony (A700)
Very happy again!

-- hide signature --

http://www.supernovak.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogic

FED-S (my father's) > Canon AE1 (my brother's) > Minolta Maxxum 3xi (my first precious) > Minolta Dynax 400si (hello Canada) > Minolta Dimage 7i (darling) > Konica Minolta 5D (first DSLR) > Sony Alpha A100 (killer baby) > Sony Alpha A700 (serious tool) > Canon 5DMkII (weird computer with average lenses) > Back to A700 (reassured about the greatness)

 novak977's gear list:novak977's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a7 II Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +10 more
JBLanteigne Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: I'm still going with Canon

You made the downgrade from 5D2 to A700?

Sedatedgenius New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Canon price jump Oct. 1

JBLanteigne wrote:

dr4gon wrote:

I don't understand how the 5D2 is a downgrade from the D300. As for the performance of the two cameras, the 5D2 wins. That said, they're different cameras. The 5D2 is clearly not designed for sports and fast action. You gotta just pick one.

Built quality, the D300 has a better sealing.
AF: the D300 has 51 points and they are more reliable than the 5D2's points

The viewfinder, I understand that the D300 has a smaller viewfinder but the 5D2's viewfinder is not 100% and this is something that would annoy me a lot.

The interface: I have to go in the menu to change the kelvin value of my my kelvin wb, this is something I expect from sub 1000$ bodies, not on a 3000+$ FF body. Also, the buttons overall feel cheaper and I feel that most of the options are placed at very unlogical positions on the camera that makes it far from being ergonomic for my hands. I understand that I'm used to my D300 but why is it that once I bought the D300, most of my experience was with Canon DSLRs and it took me about 10 minutes to get used to every commonly used features of the D300? Even the way you delete a single picture is more complicated than Nikon's way. Also, the 5D2 lacks many buttons that are on a D300: spot metering dedicated button (you have to press the white balance button on the 5D2) Fn button in front of the camera, AF-L, AE-L, instant control of the AF points without the need of pressing again another button like on the 5D2 (it's also much easier to select an AF point with the D300's pad than with a dial... and finally the AF modes (single point, auto, etc.) the D300 has a dedicated button for this also.

I understand that some people are probably more comfortable with the Canon layout but for me, there's no comparaison, Canon is crippled

To me the lens choice also comes into consideration, once I upgrade to FF, I'm expecting a 14-24 ƒ 2.8.. lens that I can't get with Canon.

These are the reasons why I really don't want to go with Canon.

But if in the end Nikon doesn't offer a camera that does what I need (FF and 1080p video with full manual control) I won't have any choice...

-- hide signature --

Youth is wasted on the young.

cyainparadise Veteran Member • Posts: 5,577
Pricing in Japan and the Yen

I was talking to a friend who just came back from Japan, as well as an article which backed up what he told me. According to my friend and the article, prices in Japan in general are falling. In fact, August saw the biggest drop in consumer prices, 2.4% from a year earlier, since records have been kept. In fact prices have been dropping for six months in a row. This drop raises fear that Japan will fall into a deflationary cycle where consumers hold off on buying goods knowing prices will fall.

In another article I read recently, the Japan government is not doing anything to weaken the yen which has been trading at record high rates against the dollar. This weakens exports as the cost of goods made in Japan might become too expensive for consumers in other country. That article didn't give an answer as to why the Japanese government would want to reduce exports to the rest of the world. You would think that the Japan government would want to weaken the yen so exports would rise and stop the deflation of prices inJapan.

David Haslam Senior Member • Posts: 2,099
Re: Pricing in Japan and the Yen

Japan has always maintained a strong currency. Remember that they have to import a lot of their raw materials and they also subcontract a lot of production overseas. Having a strong currency keeps costs down. This strategy has always worked well in the past.
--
dhaslam
http://www.pbase.com/dhaslam/galleries

cyainparadise Veteran Member • Posts: 5,577
Re: Pricing in Japan and the Yen

David Haslam wrote:

Japan has always maintained a strong currency. Remember that they have to import a lot of their raw materials and they also subcontract a lot of production overseas. Having a strong currency keeps costs down. This strategy has always worked well in the past.
--
dhaslam
http://www.pbase.com/dhaslam/galleries

About ten years ago, the yen was trading at about 148 yen to the dollar. Even a few years ago, the yen was trading at 120 yen to the dollar. How does that show that the Japanese government has ALWAYS supported a strong yen?

As the recently announced price increases by Canon shows, a strong yen leads to higher prices of goods produced in Japan. This leads to lower sales in foreign market.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads