G11 samples are available at DPR

Started Sep 24, 2009 | Discussions
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 21,204
Re: A few things...

eddie_cam wrote:

Hmmm ... I could be wrong, but isn't compression on the strong side? I mean, quite a few pictures are at around 2 MBytes. Judging from the EXIFs, the quality setting was at "fine".

Don't get me wrong - the pics look fine to me, but maybe an about 50% bigger file would have given a better result.

I agree!

for those interested in this camera,but Don't shoot RAW...this isn't good....no more 'superfine' ... we jpeg shooters,need all the data/info we can get.

TIFF would be nice....but the files are bigger than RAW!
So forget that....

at least,over the years,we started getting more control over

Sharpness,Contrast,Saturation and NR...but still not enough.

If i didn't spend too much time,already,on editing pictures...id try RAW

But for me,it's just one more process,and more time,and possible ,at times,more chance to mess it up (my PS skills)....so jpeg it's been.

ANAYV

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
Re: G11 samples are available at DPR

Master Yoda wrote:

Actually, I now like the images from the S90 even more! This sample gallery is definitely going to sell more S90's than G11's.

I agree. I think they are much better. Impressive for a camera that size.

villebon Senior Member • Posts: 2,218

theranman wrote:

I wish DPR would have shot as many S90 samples.

Overall, with a few fuzzy exceptions, I think the shots are pretty darned good. No, you can't blow 'em up for sale

I've sold several A3+ prints from pictures taken with a Canon S80. (8mp, no IS, no RAW!). Camera users have different mindsets from prints buyers.

-- hide signature --

Villebon

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228

A clear, sharp A3 from something like the S80 is most impressive. I'd never even attempt it.

Frostfrog Senior Member • Posts: 1,641
Where in the world do you come up with...

...stuff like this:

"Remember, high ISO is for emergency purposes."

No, high ISO is for low light. Being in low light is not an emergency. It is being in low light, where probably more than half of our lives are spent.

And I'd say this camera does low light very well. Much better than the G10. Unless I become convinced another compact with equal lens range does better, which seems unlikely, I am going to buy this camera.

But, when I go out in bright daylight, I think I will leave it home and take my G10, for the extra resolution.

http://wasillaalaskaby300.squarespace.com/

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,405
perspective...

honeybadger wrote:

I'm bummed out. I sold my G10 to a friend in anticipation of getting a G11, but after viewing these sample pictures, they look like crap to me. They look like any $150 point and shoot at a low ISO. The pictures look thin, without that great resolving power of the G10, and it doesn't seem to handle highlights any better then a Kodak ding dong,

I suggest you go look at DPR's G10 samples gallery. Nothing too great looking there. All shots looks like they were taken from a P&S camera and lots of blown highlights. People sometimes remember/think of what they have or was in the past as being better than it was ("the good ol' days).

I would assume there's picture settings that can be adjusted for JPGs in-camera for things such as contrast, saturation, color tone, etc. to tweak on JPGs look.

Oh and by the way the G10's iso1600 looks pretty bad. iso3200 from the G11 is better. Remember the G11 is using a new sony sensor that has lower high iso noise that happens to be 10MP. It wasn't Canon's choice for the sensor to be 10, just the way it was. Next year this sensor updated might be 12MP. If you really need 15MP vs. 10 (not a big difference by the way) I suggest you get a 10 to 12MP dSLR because that will give you better resolution than a 15MP P&S camera.

keeponkeepingon Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Why so shy with the Landscape Picts?

Reading the S90 threads one of the biggest concerns was the quality of the landscape picts, especially the quality of details in trees and leaves.

So now we finally have a G11 gallery with.... almost no leaves and trees.

keeponkeepingon's gear list:keeponkeepingon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Sony a5100 +1 more
Re: Why so shy with the Landscape Picts?

Where do you come up with stuff like this?...

"Remember, high ISO is for emergency purposes."

No, high ISO is for low light. Being in low light is not an emergency. It is being in low light, where probably more than half of our lives are spent.

I should have said that high ISO on a small-sensor pocket digicam is for emergency purposes. Would you really print out high ISO (1600, 3200, etc.) stuff for display?

If you really wanna play semantics, even most lowly pocketcams can do iso 1600 nowadays. It all depends upon your definition of "useful".

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 676

Thanks for concurring Gail. Your opinion counts tremendously as you have proven through your works that you know what you're talking about.

DoctorJerry Regular Member • Posts: 420

My photo instructor taught me that the most important thing in photography is 6 inches behind the camera. Many of the posted images are great, especially those at ISO 1600 or lower. The higher ISO images are not acceptable unless you compare them to other P&S cameras and then they are OK, not great, just OK. I was disappointed by img0082 which looks to be out of focus, 0086 which was modestly better, 0090 was far too noisy while 0109 was just too noisy at ISO 1600.

I certainly agree with Ben Hermann's post, he was right on in his statements. Let's wait for a full review and getting our hands on the G11 and S90.

DoctorJerry
--
Someone has to tell the emperor that he has no clothes

DoctorJerry's gear list:DoctorJerry's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 +3 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 676
Re: Different Methodology...

That is what makes Jeff so unique. He in fact DOES attempt to shoot the same outdoor subjects in lighting and conditions as close as he can get to each other. In that way you are at least attempting to compare apples to apples in what any given camera can do outdoors under SIMILAR conditions. No, it's no 100% precise but at least it's an attempt and as such has more value that entirely different subjects on entirely different outdoor situations.

He also conducts indoor studio condition shots but nothing as comprehensive as right here at DPReview admittedly. So DPReview rules in that arena. So Jeff does cover static and dynamic.

What has happened here is we've got quickly put together images (your words) from an S90 and the same thing from entirely different set of images on clearly a different lighting condition day with the G11 and people are struggling to compare them . . . you can't! No way and thus it nearly impossible to conclude very much from ANY of these images. However, I'll continue to maintain that from what "HAS" been submitted here in sample images . . . the S90's collection of images is the more impressive especially when you consider its diminutive size.

James Bligh Senior Member • Posts: 2,381
So then why is there ISO 3200 notch in G11's ISO dial?

helimech wrote:
You know I look forward to your posts for the laugh....

James Bligh wrote:

Low ISO Images are better than in S90 but some image is fuzzy. (42nd picture, ISO 80)

Not seeing the fuzz.....

See the trees across river in 42nd photo. See the boats too.

Highlight clipping is awful. (For example 1st & 20th picture)

Don't want to explain this agian

Noise & NR artifacts are visible in shadow area in ISO 400. (24th & 25th picture)

Wow a P&S with shawdow noise at 400ISO, go figure

ISO 3200 is horrible. (See the 18th picture.)

Reaaalllly...........(how many DSLR's have nice iso3200 let alone a P&S).

ISO 800 image looks not so beautiful. (See the 35th picture.)

Again what on earth did you expect??

I expected a decent ISO 800 which you can use with confidence.

-- hide signature --

In Manchester in the 1840s, men and women were treated like animals. Why then should we be surprised that the utopian dreams of early communists were so appealing, or be so certain that they never will be again? -- Michael Elliott

I agree, Ben...

..for a compact camera, this one looks great - especially the high ISO.

I am pretty certain I will add it to my arsenal.

http://wasillaalaskaby300.squarespace.com/

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,604
Re: What a load of carpers

It looks pretty good to me.

I am likely to be one of the first in the queue.

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +16 more
I am impressed with the low ISO...
GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,604
Re: They WANT to whinge.

Seriously.

It's how you show your discernment.

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +16 more
No offense...

but this is one of the most absurd statements in regard to this camera that I have yet to see:

"They look like any $150 point and shoot at a low ISO."

No, they don't. Not at all. They are much improved over the G10.

http://wasillaalaskaby300.squarespace.com

Elliot H Senior Member • Posts: 1,604
Re: off the sample topic for a moment

eggyolk wrote:

Elliot H wrote:

Canon has got to be kidding with that cheesey chrome bezel around the second lens extension on the g11. What's next, woodgrain touches ala 1970 yuk

Agree, that's wack.

But I would be in favor of cheesy 70's woodgrain!

woodgrain, yeahman

Re: off the sample topic for a moment

I would have been happy had they used unobtanium for that barrel ring. Now I'm P*SSED!

helimech Contributing Member • Posts: 598
??? Thats a bizarre arguement

James Bligh wrote:
See the trees across river in 42nd photo. See the boats too.

IF you seriously expected detail in the trees at that distance you are going to be seriously disappointed in anything sub 20MP

This is your argument?? Because it can be used for downsized pictures and in certain situations may be the only way to get a picture. So if its a selectable option then it should be perfectly usable in all circumstances?

I expected a decent ISO 800 which you can use with confidence.

Confidence in what? Being able to print poster size?? Out of the few samples available it looks perfectly usuable for at least 5x7 prints and probably 8x10's, but we will see.

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads