G11 samples are available at DPR

Started Sep 24, 2009 | Discussions
KimTeo Contributing Member • Posts: 953
IQ not as good the Oly compact prosumer

As a user of the aging Olympus C7070, I was naturally thinking of the G11 as the upgrade as there are many similarities - compact, quality lens, swivel lcd, etc.

I downloaded whole gallery and examined them in LR2. I was hoping that G11 would be the clear winner. But I found that the 4-5 year old C7070 images were better. Of course G11 has other better capabilities - higher ISO, larger LCD, IS(?), probably faster AF,etc. I guess I will be hanging on to my C7070 a little longer.
Kim Teo

ebarreto Regular Member • Posts: 197
Honest question: why no raw files?

Lars,

Might Dpreview post some sample raw files from the G11 and S90?

Can one learn from such a file, or must one wait for raw conversion
software to support these cameras?

Thanks,
Ernie

Elliot H Senior Member • Posts: 1,604
off the sample topic for a moment

Canon has got to be kidding with that cheesey chrome bezel around the second lens extension on the g11. What's next, woodgrain touches ala 1970 yuk

eggyolk Contributing Member • Posts: 609
Re: off the sample topic for a moment

Elliot H wrote:

Canon has got to be kidding with that cheesey chrome bezel around the second lens extension on the g11. What's next, woodgrain touches ala 1970 yuk

Agree, that's wack.

But I would be in favor of cheesy 70's woodgrain!

Simon97
Simon97 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,236
G11 high iso kills G10

G10s high iso shadows are complete mush while the G11 is far better although detail smearing is still present. It is after all a small sensor camera, but what an improvement.

In low ISO shots it appears to have more crisp output than the S90 which I thought was kind of soft like the LX3. The lens has lateral chromatics that can be cleaned in post processing. Too bad Canon couldn't clean it up in camera.

So Canon delivered a camera that has some iso 800 usability and limited 1600 use rather than the mush from the previous model. With all the pressure form the new larger sensor models, I have to wonder how it will fair in the marketplace.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
bcc1955 Regular Member • Posts: 410
Re: G11 high iso kills G10

Boy I am not sure how much the killer photographer has to do with it but these G11 photos look really sweet. They have a really pleasant haze or dreaminess to them. I think these blow away the disappointing S90 photos. Weird, could the lens be that much better?

Robert Deutsch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,229

Simon97 wrote:

G10s high iso shadows are complete mush while the G11 is far better although detail smearing is still present. It is after all a small sensor camera, but what an improvement.

In low ISO shots it appears to have more crisp output than the S90 which I thought was kind of soft like the LX3. The lens has lateral chromatics that can be cleaned in post processing. Too bad Canon couldn't clean it up in camera.

So Canon delivered a camera that has some iso 800 usability and limited 1600 use rather than the mush from the previous model. With all the pressure form the new larger sensor models, I have to wonder how it will fair in the marketplace.

I think it was brave of Canon to come out with a high-end digicam that has fewer pixels than both its predecessor and other cheaper cameras. The general public still equates pixel count with quality. I know that whenever I mention to an acquaintance who is semi-knowledgeable about digital cameras that I got a new camera, the first question they always ask is "How many megapixels does it have?" People will have to be educated about the fact that there is more to digital image quality than pixel count.

But, ultimately, I believe that image quality will triumph, and the G11, which appeals to the more knowledgeable consumer, will be a great success (and so will the S90).

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
CNY_AP Senior Member • Posts: 1,305
Re: Sigh - why don't folks realize that when you take outside...

I agree, this is the best site by far otherwise. Steve-Digicams (even though he doesn't meet a camera he doesn't love), always shot one particular street corner until about a year ago. VERY handy. I compared my 10 year old Olympus C3000 (3MP for $800) against my later cameras. Cool!

Master Yoda wrote:

Which is precisely why Jeff at DCResources only shoots the same subjects on similar bright sunshine days in order to at least "TRY" and render similar conditions

jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405
Ben We Also Get The 'It Has DSLR Image Quality' Nonsense...

Quick over the top reactions from both ends. And then reality...

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228
Re: G11 samples are available at DPR

If you are trying to decide which of the 2 you want think along the lines of G11 has EVF, more zoon,

I WISH it had an EVF!

As for more "zoon", it certainly has plenty o' dat !!!

Ranlee Senior Member • Posts: 2,067

Downloaded a few from both S90 and G11. They appear very close in quality and sharpness to me and I think both compare very favorably to my broken G7 which I have always liked. My order still stands for the G11.

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +6 more
John Carson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,262
Ignore - deleted
-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
valkyrite Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: Ignore - deleted

After reading most of the impressions in this thread, I still feel comfortable with ordering the S90. Overall G11 seems to have a slight edge.

I would request DPReview to post a forum poll with some pictures taken with both S90 and G11 (you can also thrown in the LX3 and F200EXR). Identical photos under identical conditions and settings.

Let the posters (forum members) rank them and also attempt to guess which photos are from which camera. If there is discernible difference between the IQ, it would become evident.

I am sure DPReview is currently reviewing the S90 and G11 and would be comparing them with other similar compacts. They can ask the review staff to repeat the same exercise, and if there is strong correlation between the perceived IQ and a specific camera, then it is the winner.

Cheers.

Gary S Veteran Member • Posts: 6,230
Impressive

As I browsed through the higher ISO pictures, I was very pleased. I want one. I have the G10 and a couple of 1D Mark III's right now, but that G11 is calling me, just like the 7D.

Could that be too many cameras? Nah, you only live once and life is very short. I wonder what innovations the 1D Mk IV will have? Could be very intersting.

Gary S's gear list:Gary S's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Andre Neves Regular Member • Posts: 463
Lewis Hamilton operating a camera...

...on one of the pictures.
I know it's not, but darn he looks just like him!

-- hide signature --

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
-Harlan Ellison

MarcosV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,369
I agree. Quality reviews takes time and we're impatient

nboyer wrote:

DPR do perform their reviews in both static and dynamic environments. These samples were put up quickly as a courtesy before the actual static review.

It takes time to learn a camera's characteristics and to figure out what one must do to get the most out of it. Then you'd compare it to other cameras that are also currently available to judge its relative merit.

I'm guessing that DPReview took the camera out for a spin, and is using that experience (along with trying out the other cameras) to figure out how to review it and the others. In the meantime, here's the first quick gallery of shots from a production camera; which is what you'd expect photography sites to want to do --- since the sites are sort of in competition with each other.

To me, people are impatient if they are using these shots as the basis to decide if camera A is better/worse than camera B. Aside from the photos, what about AF performance? How well does the camera meter in general? How good is the on-board processing vs. RAW? How easy is it to adjust EC? To manual focus?

Here's hoping DPReview puts out a review within a month vs. waiting two to three months...

MarcosV's gear list:MarcosV's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
honeybadger Regular Member • Posts: 240
I'm bummed out

I'm bummed out. I sold my G10 to a friend in anticipation of getting a G11, but after viewing these sample pictures, they look like crap to me. They look like any $150 point and shoot at a low ISO. The pictures look thin, without that great resolving power of the G10, and it doesn't seem to handle highlights any better then a Kodak ding dong, etc. I'll have to reserve judgment until they ship, but right now, I'm bummed. It seems impossible that the engineers at Canon would put out a camera that was less capable than the G10?????

Honeybadger

honeybadger Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: I'm bummed out

I wanted to edit the first reply to the photos but ran out of time and I couldn't make any changes. After looking at the original jpegs, they didn't look as bad as I thought, but not that bad is not a criteria I use to buy a camera.

Honeybadger

Clark666 Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: But keep in mind the type and size of the sensor here...

I remember that the Olympus E-3 had the best samples posted that I have ever seen and it still is a good camera. It would be a best seller if it were made by another company.

Clark666's gear list:Clark666's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX10 III Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
friedduck Contributing Member • Posts: 725
Bravo Canon...

I'm so happy that there's a cease-fire in the megapixel arms race. I've finally started shopping cameras again now that the makers have come to their senses.

The pics look great!

friedduck's gear list:friedduck's gear list
Sony RX100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads