G11 samples are available at DPR

Started Sep 24, 2009 | Discussions
YiannisPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,641
A few things...

First of all, I am a little bit dissappointed. Sure that's fine quality for a P&S. But let's be honest, people expect not fine but the best from Canon's top P&S.

Second, I'm not sure that's entirely the camera's fault, it seems to me that DPR have been dropping their standard recently. I mean many of the samples are badly exposed, starting with the first, why on earth was exp+0.3 dialed?!

Maybe I'm missing something. Most of the samples look a bit on the dull side, but I'm not sure if it was the camera or just the weather.

Finally, OK, high ISO performance is important (and quite improved in the G11), but there are not enough base ISO samples to judge the camera at what should be its best. Also for the high ISO shots, why don't DPR do their standard DSLR shots in the War museum for all cameras? That way we could have a relevant comparison across the board.

eddie_cam Contributing Member • Posts: 680
Re: A few things...

Hmmm ... I could be wrong, but isn't compression on the strong side? I mean, quite a few pictures are at around 2 MBytes. Judging from the EXIFs, the quality setting was at "fine".

Don't get me wrong - the pics look fine to me, but maybe an about 50% bigger file would have given a better result.

Just my 2 cents ...

jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405
And..Of course It Is DSLR or Quality..It Is As Good As APC Sensor..Oh My...Oh My..

dadof4 wrote:

Photos look pretty good to me up to ISO 1600, but what I have learned so far from the previous posts.....

• The high ISO samples are great or not so great

• The low ISO samples are great or not so great.

• The G11's photos are better than the S90's or the S90's photos are better the the G11's.

• The G11 is a disappointment or it is great.

That should clear things up!

Do you think we should wait for the review with comparisions? I do!

todds Senior Member • Posts: 1,085

eddie_cam wrote:

Hmmm ... I could be wrong, but isn't compression on the strong side? I mean, quite a few pictures are at around 2 MBytes. Judging from the EXIFs, the quality setting was at "fine".

Don't get me wrong - the pics look fine to me, but maybe an about 50% bigger file would have given a better result.

Fine is the best JPG format that the G11 can do.

SFJP Senior Member • Posts: 1,677
A question about DPreview recent samples

I used to look a lot to DPreview sample galleries in the past to get an idea of potential IQ. DPreview has sold me in the past (to my benefit) to the Fuji 6900, the dRebel (D300), the Leica/panasonic Digilux 2, the canon 1DS II.

But recently I'm not following because the difficulty to compare shots taken in likely comparable conditions.

The pictures recently taken with the Leica M9 or the G11 are not speaking a lot (except negatively), because I have no point of comparison. At first glance, the Leica M9 pictures seem to obviously lack DR (dynamical range) and are globally too contrasty, and the G11 at low ISO seems to lack some resolution (while I do not see a big difference between 400 ISO shoots and 1600 ISO ones, which is good for high ISO, but does not tell a lot about the basic resolution of the combo lens + sensor).

I believe that sample shots should get a little more discipline in order to speak for themselves, without going to the dull examples of some other sites nor to any useless pixel peeping of some others....

My 2 cents....

-- hide signature --
eddie_cam Contributing Member • Posts: 680

todds wrote:

Fine is the best JPG format that the G11 can do.

I know, but normally 10-MP files have at least around 3-4 MBytes at least or even more.

SFJP Senior Member • Posts: 1,677
Re: A question about DPreview recent samples

To be more explicit: the Leica M9 samples or the G11 ones tell us these are not so good cameras (whatever the price gap between them), or that there is a flaw in the way the samples are taken (Phil still behind the viewfinder?). I don't know but I am waiting more about and clearly DPreview does not answer there my expectations.

JP

SFJP wrote:

I used to look a lot to DPreview sample galleries in the past to get an idea of potential IQ. DPreview has sold me in the past (to my benefit) to the Fuji 6900, the dRebel (D300), the Leica/panasonic Digilux 2, the canon 1DS II.

But recently I'm not following because the difficulty to compare shots taken in likely comparable conditions.

The pictures recently taken with the Leica M9 or the G11 are not speaking a lot (except negatively), because I have no point of comparison. At first glance, the Leica M9 pictures seem to obviously lack DR (dynamical range) and are globally too contrasty, and the G11 at low ISO seems to lack some resolution (while I do not see a big difference between 400 ISO shoots and 1600 ISO ones, which is good for high ISO, but does not tell a lot about the basic resolution of the combo lens + sensor).

I believe that sample shots should get a little more discipline in order to speak for themselves, without going to the dull examples of some other sites nor to any useless pixel peeping of some others....

My 2 cents....

-- hide signature --
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 676
Re: Sigh - why don't folks realize that when you take outside...

Which is precisely why Jeff at DCResources only shoots the same subjects on similar bright sunshine days in order to at least "TRY" and render similar conditions and subjects. I love DPReview but the problem with their sample galleries is you really can't compare them to anything. I personally think it's unfair to any given camera to take it out in poor lighting and then hold up the images as samplings of what that camera does . . . only to take another camera out the next day in pristine conditions and do the same thing. The second camera will clearly have the advantage. There either should at least be an attempt to equalize conditions and shoot similar subjects or stick with studio controlled lighting of the same objects as is done in the detailed reviews.

helimech Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Re: Highlight clipping is awful.

You know I look forward to your posts for the laugh....

James Bligh wrote:

Low ISO Images are better than in S90 but some image is fuzzy. (42nd picture, ISO 80)

Not seeing the fuzz.....

Highlight clipping is awful. (For example 1st & 20th picture)

Don't want to explain this agian

Noise & NR artifacts are visible in shadow area in ISO 400. (24th & 25th picture)

Wow a P&S with shawdow noise at 400ISO, go figure

ISO 3200 is horrible. (See the 18th picture.)

Reaaalllly...........(how many DSLR's have nice iso3200 let alone a P&S).

ISO 800 image looks not so beautiful. (See the 35th picture.)

Again what on earth did you expect??

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
YiannisPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,641
Agreed -NT

No text

nboyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,135
Re: Different Methodology...

DPR do perform their reviews in both static and dynamic environments. These samples were put up quickly as a courtesy before the actual static review. I do not know of many people that go around and take shots of the same stuff over and over and only under the same weather conditions. I think it's healthy that DPR's sample images are dynamic. If you want static stuff, wait for the review. Cheers. -Norm

Master Yoda wrote:

Which is precisely why Jeff at DCResources only shoots the same subjects on similar bright sunshine days in order to at least "TRY" and render similar conditions and subjects. I love DPReview but the problem with their sample galleries is you really can't compare them to anything. I personally think it's unfair to any given camera to take it out in poor lighting and then hold up the images as samplings of what that camera does . . . only to take another camera out the next day in pristine conditions and do the same thing. The second camera will clearly have the advantage. There either should at least be an attempt to equalize conditions and shoot similar subjects or stick with studio controlled lighting of the same objects as is done in the detailed reviews.

nboyer's gear list:nboyer's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix A Canon PowerShot G7 X Leica X (Typ 113) Leica M8.2 +8 more
Jay Miller Contributing Member • Posts: 937
Output interesting and odd

Relatively clean-looking 1600 ISO of the guy's face, yet a daylight shot at 80 ISO still shows noise in the sky and considerable shadow noise.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,920
Ben... Appreciate your reply. Thanks ! (nt)

Ben Herrmann wrote:

I wish I kept my copy. I wasn't using it and subsequently sold it a few years back - big mistake.

As for the S90, there is no way I can comment because I don't have one (yet). I'm surmising that it should be a wonderful camera and the one two things that really turn me on are:

1. RAW capabilities.

2. Decrease in MP count and using a somewhat larger sensor (not those omnipresent 1/2.33" pinhead sensors).

Those two reasons alone tell me that it should be a wonderful camera. Other than that, I don't like to comment about stuff I don't have (as some do).
--

-- hide signature --

Claude
There are no bad pictures. Only bad retouchers.

dskater411 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Why dont we wait

This thread makes my stomach churn. Seems to be a 50/50 split on everyone thinking which is better for IQ and seems everybody is disappointed no matter what.

1. These 2 sample sets don't tell me enough to come to all the pixel peeping conclusions everyone is coming to. I specifically didn't see enough landscape and foliage shots and would like to.

2. The shots on canon's website look amazing. Especially the portrait of the woman shot with the G11 and noticably better than the s90 (although they were not the same location and probably shouldn't be compared.

3. Given most internals including the sensor are the same between the 2 cameras, the only difference is going to be the lense. Since the G11 is the bigger and more expensive camera, i find it more than likely the G11 will take better shots than the s90 although the margin could be tiny. We will have to wait to find out.

4. High ISOs look promising and that's what everyone has been demanding out of point and shoots for the last couple years. Now people think the low ISOs look bad? Again lets wait for more/better samples.

If you are trying to decide which of the 2 you want think along the lines of G11 has EVF, more zoon, and a swivel screen, S90 is smaller, and has cool control rings, and is a little cheaper. Which are more important to you because the IQ isnt going to be a whole lot different.

Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 4,025
Re: Why dont we wait

Oh fer Pete's sake...why bring a logical post to this bar room brawl. Come back after you have had a few more beers.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
dskater411 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Why dont we wait

In all honesty because i can't decide on which camera to order myself and i just need someone to agree with me!

going to get some beer now.

Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 4,025
Re: But keep in mind the type and size of the sensor here...

"So it's nice to see that they are using a bigger sensor and whittling down the MP's to 10. As I said, this camera should do quite well."

The sensor is the same size as the G10...just less MP's. It may be good but I will keep the G10 and wait for an APS compact.

Yes, deciding/judging which camera is better before it is released is

The only way to really know...is to use it.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
eggyolk Contributing Member • Posts: 609
Re: G11 samples are available at DPR

G11 looks like a winner so far, 800 looks usable, the outdoor square shots are very well handled, looks like a definate step up in DR.

Good job, Canon.

eggyolk Contributing Member • Posts: 609
And Thank you DPR!

And thank you DPR!

Unlike the nitpicking brigade, I think you did a very good job with these pics.

webrunner5
webrunner5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,346
Re: G11 samples are available at DPR

Wow, the samples have a nice 3D look to them. I am impressed!

Don

webrunner5's gear list:webrunner5's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-50mm F3.8-5.6 Mega OIS Canon Pixma Pro-100 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads