G11 samples are available at DPR

Includes a bunch of high ISO shots.

RF

Noopz Regular Member • Posts: 381
Re: G11 samples are available at DPR

High ISOs look great, imo.

rkhndjr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,082

Where did you find them? I don't see on Sample Gallery.
--

glasswindow Contributing Member • Posts: 759
Link is on the main page news
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 676

While a number of the high ISO images look good for that sensitivity level, overall I'm afraid the rest of the images are not all that compelling in terms of quality. Even some of the ISO 80 shots have a distinct amount of noise. It may clean up with Post Processing but this is a G11. Actually, I now like the images from the S90 even more! This sample gallery is definitely going to sell more S90's than G11's.

larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,367
LX3 user comments

The noise control and detail retention look good enough for me. In fact, I'm impressed with the ISO800-3200 shots. My only concern is that some of the shots had blown highlights where I think my LX3 would have been able to handle them. Limited dynamic range is something that has bothered me about my P&S cameras (my last two being Canons). My LX3 has pretty decent range and often surprises me in that regard.

I like the 24/2 wide end on my LX3 but I'm willing to lose 4mm and 1 stop to get a flip/twist LCD and a longer telephoto.

One nice thing about Canon is that when the G11 hits the shelves, it'll be in good supply so I'll be able to wait for the detailed reviews before deciding whether to sell my LX3 and get a G11.

I guess the only thing that will really give me pause is if Panasonic releases an LX4.

larsbc

rkhndjr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,082
Re: Link is on the main page news

Thank you.
--

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228

I wish DPR would have shot as many S90 samples.

Overall, with a few fuzzy exceptions, I think the shots are pretty darned good. No, you can't blow 'em up for sale (u really can't with ANY small sensor camera), but up to 8 x 10, they'd be absolutely fine. A little more punch, maybe, but that can be done in pp....which I hate.

The high iso stuff is very impressive, imho. Remember, high iso in a compact is for emergency purposes, and I think Canon has done rather well here. Just as good as the LX3 and "probably" the Fuji as well. As for dynamic range, no miracles here....or perhaps it's too early to tell....

Jay Adeff Senior Member • Posts: 1,279
Best I've seen from P&S

From a Canon user who only uses DSLR's, this is the best I've ever seen from a small sensor P&S camera, including the old Fuji 6Mp F10/F20/F30 series, and that Panasonic model everyone raves about. I may actually be tempted to finally buy a small digital camera.

Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,853
I'm with Jay on this one

Really impressive, I'm going to get one now.

Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
Robert Deutsch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,229
Glad I have the G11 on order

If I hadn't, viewing these samples would convince me to place an order. A major step toward DSLR IQ.

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
SamTruax Senior Member • Posts: 1,790

There must be too many interested forum members trying to look at those pics...it says the gallery is presently offline.

My turn please
I am finally excited about Canon again and I think this may be the camera.

-- hide signature --

Sam

'Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it... albeit probably in colour the second time around.'

SamTruax's gear list:SamTruax's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Canon PowerShot A570 IS Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G9 +4 more
Lars Rehm
Lars Rehm dpreview Admin • Posts: 466

Sorry guys, minor technical glitch, the gallery is up again now.
--
Lars Rehm, dpreview.com

kxp New Member • Posts: 5

i was quite keen on upgrading from my old compact to G10 but i decided to wait. The half last year i've been waiting for G11 and apparently the wait has payed off. I'm convinced that before the end of this year i'll have my hands on thisone.

Can't wait for a full review... hope to see it soon. I hope to see good side-by-side comparison with S90 there also... we'll see...

Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 4,025

I am keeping the G10.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Peter Vaktor Senior Member • Posts: 1,104

When do you think we can expect to have a full review of the G11 with comparisons to other cameras i.e. G10 and Lumix GF1 ?

Steveasub Regular Member • Posts: 187
G11 samples

Well they look OK to me, but to be honest - not quite as good as I'd hoped for from the low ISO range. Some of them are bit dull and not quite as sharp as I'd like to see.

But the high ISO pics are really good, and the low noise levels are I think unmatched by any other compact. Still not enough to make a judgement on.
So the jury's still out, but the signs are good...

An in-depth head to head with the best of the rest will reveal all. Come on DPR - that's what we pay you for!

Steve
--
http://www.photoshop.com/user/silverback999/?trackingid=BTAGC&wf=share

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 676

Smart move . . . and one I think will be followed by many.

Photofreak7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Steveasub

These are OOC results. The G10 (as with all cameras I've owned) always needed some PP to make it's images really shine ... I'm guessing the G11 may look much better either jpg+PP or RAW+PP.

Steveasub wrote:

Well they look OK to me, but to be honest - not quite as good as I'd hoped for from the low ISO range. Some of them are bit dull and not quite as sharp as I'd like to see.

But the high ISO pics are really good, and the low noise levels are I think unmatched by any other compact. Still not enough to make a judgement on.
So the jury's still out, but the signs are good...

An in-depth head to head with the best of the rest will reveal all. Come on DPR - that's what we pay you for!

Steve
--
http://www.photoshop.com/user/silverback999/?trackingid=BTAGC&wf=share

Photofreak7's gear list:Photofreak7's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Re: G11 samples

I think the high iso ones look great. Especially this one.

-- hide signature --
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads