G11 Optical Zoom in Movies

Started Sep 23, 2009 | Discussions
Steveasub Regular Member • Posts: 187
G11 Optical Zoom in Movies

Have I got this right?

According to the G11 manual it probably does allow optical zoom in movie mode. From the 'Shooting Movies' chapter:
"You can also zoom in and out with the zoom lever during shooting"

They don't specifically tell you that it's optical zoom, but it probably is because it also says that "Operational sounds will be recorded in the movie" and this is likely to be the zoom or AF motor noise.

I would prefer zoom to be available even if you can hear the motor - it's good to have the choice. Though of course it would be even better to have really quiet motors!

But what the lord giveth, the lord taketh away, and the optical zoom may be almost useless in practice because the manual also states:

"If you change the composition of your shot during shooting, the focus will stay the same but the brightness and tone will automatically adjust"

So yes you can zoom, but your subjects must be relatively still. So no sports day videos then!
The G11 seems to have a very limited movie mode...

If you know better, please let me know!

Steve

photaholic Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: G11 Optical Zoom in Movies

The last couple of cameras I have had did not allow optical zoom while shooting movies. If the G11 behaves the same as the S3 I used to own, which is similar to what you describe above Steve, I will be happy.

tomjar Contributing Member • Posts: 655
Don't think so...

In section 6 of the manual on page 117 (Other shooting functions) it says:

Zooming in more closely on subjects: the digital zoom (p.64) is available.

So I think optical zoom is not available in the movie mode.

Steveasub wrote:

Have I got this right?

According to the G11 manual it probably does allow optical zoom in movie mode. From the 'Shooting Movies' chapter:
"You can also zoom in and out with the zoom lever during shooting"

They don't specifically tell you that it's optical zoom, but it probably is because it also says that "Operational sounds will be recorded in the movie" and this is likely to be the zoom or AF motor noise.

I would prefer zoom to be available even if you can hear the motor - it's good to have the choice. Though of course it would be even better to have really quiet motors!

But what the lord giveth, the lord taketh away, and the optical zoom may be almost useless in practice because the manual also states:

"If you change the composition of your shot during shooting, the focus will stay the same but the brightness and tone will automatically adjust"

So yes you can zoom, but your subjects must be relatively still. So no sports day videos then!
The G11 seems to have a very limited movie mode...

If you know better, please let me know!

Steve

 tomjar's gear list:tomjar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix AW120 Nikon D5000 Panasonic G85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
OP Steveasub Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: Don't think so...

tomjar wrote:

In section 6 of the manual on page 117 (Other shooting functions) it says:

Zooming in more closely on subjects: the digital zoom (p.64) is available.

So I think optical zoom is not available in the movie mode.

OK I see why you might think that , but I disagree. I think Canon call it 'Other Shooting Functions' to describe what hasn't already been covered, and they call it digital zoom. In the movies chapter they just called it zoom.
Also they say 'more' closely - as if perhaps you've already zoomed a bit...

You could be right of course - only time (or a bona fide expert) will tell!
Steve

tomjar Contributing Member • Posts: 655
Re: Don't think so...

Steveasub wrote:

OK I see why you might think that , but I disagree. I think Canon call it 'Other Shooting Functions' to describe what hasn't already been covered, and they call it digital zoom. In the movies chapter they just called it zoom.
Also they say 'more' closely - as if perhaps you've already zoomed a bit...

You could be right of course - only time (or a bona fide expert) will tell!
Steve

Well, all I can say is that I sure hope you're right! A few days ago there was a thread in which somebody was asking the same question about S90. And in reply somebody else cited S90 manual saying that only digital zoom was available. I was not paying attention, because I am more interested in G11, but I would think this feature will be the same in both cameras.

As I said, I hope you're right...

 tomjar's gear list:tomjar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix AW120 Nikon D5000 Panasonic G85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
OP Steveasub Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: Don't think so...

tomjar wrote:

... somebody else cited S90 manual saying that only digital zoom was available. I was not paying attention, because I am more interested in G11, but I would think this feature will be the same in both cameras.

I would probably agree with you if the lens on the G11 and the S90 were the same, but I think they're different. So different lenses and bodies would probably mean different motors. Perhaps the lens motor on the G11 is not too intrusively noisy, so they allowed the optical zoom. It's probably not much more than a bit of software tweaking after all - CHDK seems to do it easily enough!

I think they should enable the optical zoom for movies on all digicams. Provided they warn you that the noise of the lens and maybe AF motor will be recorded, why not? At least you get to choose.
Anyway I'm hopeful about the G11 - and saving up!
Steve

tomjar Contributing Member • Posts: 655
No optical zoom then

Steveasub wrote:

tomjar wrote:

... somebody else cited S90 manual saying that only digital zoom was available. I was not paying attention, because I am more interested in G11, but I would think this feature will be the same in both cameras.

I would probably agree with you if the lens on the G11 and the S90 were the same, but I think they're different. So different lenses and bodies would probably mean different motors. Perhaps the lens motor on the G11 is not too intrusively noisy, so they allowed the optical zoom. It's probably not much more than a bit of software tweaking after all - CHDK seems to do it easily enough!

I think they should enable the optical zoom for movies on all digicams. Provided they warn you that the noise of the lens and maybe AF motor will be recorded, why not? At least you get to choose.
Anyway I'm hopeful about the G11 - and saving up!
Steve

So there is no optcal zoom in movie mode. Too bad. I think this is one of those features that Canon makes sure is not available in too many different cameras (to make us customers buy more than one camera).

I hope it will not take Dpreview staff too long to produce a review of G11, now that they have the production level camera in their hands. Most of all I would like to see a side-by-side comparison with LX3, G10 and one of the recent micro 4/3s.

 tomjar's gear list:tomjar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix AW120 Nikon D5000 Panasonic G85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Anfy
Anfy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,458
From the very voice of...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=33141708

Ciao

Steveasub wrote:

Have I got this right?

According to the G11 manual it probably does allow optical zoom in movie mode. From the 'Shooting Movies' chapter:
"You can also zoom in and out with the zoom lever during shooting"

They don't specifically tell you that it's optical zoom, but it probably is because it also says that "Operational sounds will be recorded in the movie" and this is likely to be the zoom or AF motor noise.

I would prefer zoom to be available even if you can hear the motor - it's good to have the choice. Though of course it would be even better to have really quiet motors!

But what the lord giveth, the lord taketh away, and the optical zoom may be almost useless in practice because the manual also states:

"If you change the composition of your shot during shooting, the focus will stay the same but the brightness and tone will automatically adjust"

So yes you can zoom, but your subjects must be relatively still. So no sports day videos then!
The G11 seems to have a very limited movie mode...

If you know better, please let me know!

Steve

Snail69 Regular Member • Posts: 373
Re: From the very voice of...

That blows!!!

I wish Canon would make it a standard feature on all their cams. So far both Elphs I have don't have Optical zoom and now my future G11 won't either.
--
Nigel

Lucien Contributing Member • Posts: 847
Re: From the very voice of...

On the G9 there's digital zoom (which is not useful imo since it's not cropping a larger frame but rather real digital zoom) and you can turn it on/off through the menu. Looking at the manual it seems to be exactly the same:-(. They don't mention anything specific though about this but most likely it's the same.

While looking at the manual I noticed stitch assist doesn't support 2x2 anymore:-(.

Only 2 options: from left to right and from right to left. I hope it does support portrait stitching automatically (something I always use since you lose height when stitching).

Luciano Morpurgo Contributing Member • Posts: 710
I just wonder why they dont put it in

Many other P&S camera have optical zoom in movies, why not the G series? Mystery to me...
Luc
--
http://www.pbase.com/duca_v2

 Luciano Morpurgo's gear list:Luciano Morpurgo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D +9 more
Robert Deutsch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,226
Digital zoom in video

With the G10 (and I assume it's the same with the G11), even if digital zoom is turned off for still photos, it's operational when you're in the movie mode.

Bob

 Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 17,248
Re: Don't think so...

tomjar wrote:

Well, all I can say is that I sure hope you're right! A few days ago there was a thread in which somebody was asking the same question about S90. And in reply somebody else cited S90 manual saying that only digital zoom was available. I was not paying attention, because I am more interested in G11, but I would think this feature will be the same in both cameras.

That was me....and the conclusion was found on page 163, stating you can't use optical zoom,during video

But page 32 had me thinking (like the OP ,) that you could..and in that section,it never mentioned digital zoom....I was sure ,it could zoom,during video.....but another poster (helimech ) directed me to page 163....and the truth came out !

Reading all the pages (who has time)....reveals page 32 was reffering to digital zoom..... so probably same ,for G11.....no optical zoom,during video

Bad wording,on canon's part,me thinmks...to have a few of us fooled...

ANAYV

todds Senior Member • Posts: 1,063
My olympus has an option to turn optical zoom on/off in movies

My olympus has an option to turn optical zoom on/off in movies

When you turn zoom on it turns the microphone off. Simple. it works. Olympus has had it since the C2020 (1999). It isn't rocket science.

Mark N Contributing Member • Posts: 528
Canon has a better system on other cameras

Turning off sound is a very poor option. Canon does it far better in the S1, S2, S3 series. They should implement the ultrasonic motor zoom on a higher end camera like the G series. That is more important to me than HD video.

Olympus's alternative is a drastic compromise that I would never want to take. Video needs sound.

todds wrote:

My olympus has an option to turn optical zoom on/off in movies

When you turn zoom on it turns the microphone off. Simple. it works. Olympus has had it since the C2020 (1999). It isn't rocket science.

-- hide signature --

Mark N

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads