Canon G11 Leather Case

Started Sep 22, 2009 | Discussions
mcshan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,611
SC-DC65A

Hi, I ordered this one. This is the seller as well. I hope I am allowed to post this. It arrived in 5 days. I think it is great but certainly not cheap $$. The case is only 44% leather with several other ingredients but I could care less:
Canon label:
leather 44%
PU 16%
pulp 20%
metal 11%
nylon 3%
other 6%

It is a terrific fit for the G11. I have both left the flap hanging and removed it to leave in the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot-G11-Soft-Leather-Case-SC-DC65A-EMS_W0QQitemZ300359432274QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45eed13852

mcshan's gear list:mcshan's gear list
Leica X1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Leica X2 Sony RX100 Leica X Vario +15 more
Re: SC-DC65A

Note: rereading some of the above posts and I want to add that the entire back of this case is open to allow full movement of the screen. Despite this the case has a snug enough fit that it does NOT feel loose.

No complaints from me.

Teski
Teski Forum Pro • Posts: 13,060
Yup...I buy from JP-Gift as well

Bought my G9 and G10 cases from them. Also bought my yellow G11 case from them (same model but letter c at the end), and also ordered my S90 case from them.

-- hide signature --
 Teski's gear list:Teski's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Canon EOS-1D X Leica M Typ 240 Sony a7R II +8 more
Re: Yup...I buy from JP-Gift as well

Thanks Teski for checking out my posts.

I was impressed at how fast I received it and the shipping with tracking was a nice touch. Not a heavyweight case like I have on my Panna. LX3 but nice still the same. I'm pleased with it.

MikeK5117 Regular Member • Posts: 438
Re: Yup...I buy from JP-Gift as well

I bought my G9 case from them and will likely get the one for the G11 as well. Anyone know if the dark brown or oxblood colors are available for the G11 as well as the black and yellow?

www451oa Regular Member • Posts: 269
Re: SC-DC65A

For all the images I've seen of this case, such as ones posted by OP. I have yet to see any exhibiting the rear side of the case to show the opening.

Then again, Maybe I'm not not looking in the correct places. I know they must be out there.

mcshan wrote:

Note: rereading some of the above posts and I want to add that the entire back of this case is open to allow full movement of the screen. Despite this the case has a snug enough fit that it does NOT feel loose.

No complaints from me.

Teski
Teski Forum Pro • Posts: 13,060
Not looking in the right place. :-)

I've posted these a couple of times. Same exact case, just the limited edition yellow one straight from Japan.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=33420090

-- hide signature --
 Teski's gear list:Teski's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Canon EOS-1D X Leica M Typ 240 Sony a7R II +8 more
Pascal04 Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: Canon G11 Leather Case

Anyone got a picture of the G11 case with a shot from the back... just curious to see how the back side/LCD fits with the case.

Phormula Regular Member • Posts: 100

If I plan to take more than one picture, I snap it off and place it in my pocket or in my bag. If I am taking a quick snapshot I just open and leave it hanging. When I was a kid I used to do the same with the eveready bag of my father's Kodak Retinette and with my first SRL, which came with the eveready bag and a 50 mm lens. Actually sometimes I got "thumbs up" from people around me, because of the retro-look of this eveready case, that makes it look like an old rangefinder and hence less intimidating, because a lot of people, especially old people, associate old cameras with "I'm taking just one picture, carefully composed and exposed" and not "Now I will take 200 shots of you in 10 minutes". I hope I expressed my points, the retro-look of the G10 in the leather case and my humble attitude have helped me getting the picture I wanted in more than one occasion.

Stephenbw
Stephenbw Senior Member • Posts: 2,515

Pascal04 wrote:

Anyone got a picture of the G11 case with a shot from the back... just curious to see how the back side/LCD fits with the case.

Teski already gave this link two posts above yours

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=33420090

Stephenbw's gear list:Stephenbw's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +5 more
MikeK5117 Regular Member • Posts: 438
Thanks

Thanks for the links, I had found the yellow one but my searching had failed to turn up the brown one specifically for the G11.

Len_Gee
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,880
What to do with a never ready case.

I could care less about a never ready case.

Hate carrying a P&S from a neck strap. Looks a bit dorky. :} and I prefer them on a wrist strap. YMMV.

My main complaint is: They are a PIA for having your camera at the ready - one has to find a place to store the snap off part of the case and that is not always practical. For my G10 it does not fit in front pocket/back pocket of most men's pants. I tried one, and did not like it. Not sure what the women do with it.

And after time, they begin to stink. I don't know what chemicals/preservatives are added to keep the case soft but that has alway's concerned me about storing cameras for long periods of time in their cases and what it does to the leatherette (?) and optics of the camera itself.

Also, darn expensive considering the cost of the G10/G11.

What do you do with the flap when your shooting?

Anyway, JMHO.

Kind regards.

mcshan wrote:

Hi, I ordered this one. This is the seller as well. I hope I am allowed to post this. It arrived in 5 days. I think it is great but certainly not cheap $$. The case is only 44% leather with several other ingredients but I could care less:
Canon label:
leather 44%
PU 16%
pulp 20%
metal 11%
nylon 3%
other 6%

It is a terrific fit for the G11. I have both left the flap hanging and removed it to leave in the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot-G11-Soft-Leather-Case-SC-DC65A-EMS_W0QQitemZ300359432274QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45eed13852

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +4 more
Conchita Veteran Member • Posts: 9,914
Re: What to do with a never ready case.

Not sure what the women do with it.

Mine just goes back into the purse. The case doesn't stink, incidentally, although I was afraid that might be a problem. No odor at all--not even a leathery smell.

Phormula Regular Member • Posts: 100
Free NOT to buy it...

It is not sold together with the camera, you can give it a try and decide if you like or not. When I bought the G10 and asked for a case, the salesman presented me with the two options, a traditional purse or the ever ready bag. I went for the second and I am glad I did. I already explained how I use it.

Pascal04 Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: Not looking in the right place. :-)

Thanks for the links.... that case definitely looks attractive.

Has anyone tried the cheaper ebay knockoffs that are going for $30 or less. How's the fit with these. They suggest the case is for the G9,G10,G11 - but as each is a different size, I am not sure how good the fit on the generic cases might be - compared to the $100 Canon case for the G11.

Alashi
Alashi Contributing Member • Posts: 569
Re: Black, brown, and yellow...No oxblood...

This seller had them for about $60-$70 (black) and $80-$90 (colors) on eBay just a couple of days ago. Demand must be high so he's making hay while the sun shines.

At least they are tangible, non-toxic assets.

Alashi

Alashi's gear list:Alashi's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot SD900 Canon PowerShot G10 +29 more
CLIXPIX New Member • Posts: 1

HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING A CASE FOR THE CANON G11?

IF YOU DON'T MIND USING A WRIST STRAP INSTEAD OF THE SHOULDER STRAPS, SONY MAKES A GREAT BAG MODEL LCS-CSD WHICH B &H SELLS.

THE CASE HOLDS THE CAMERA AND HAS ROOM FOR AN EXTRA BATTERY PLUS MORE MEMORY CARDS. THE ONLY CATCH IS THAT THIS TINY BAG HAS THE WORD SONY ON THE FRONT OF THE CASE, BUT OTHERWISE IT'S PERFECT.

visionxy New Member • Posts: 1

As I understand it, some genuine Canon G11 cases from Japan--the model # is Canon SC-DC65A, are showing up online. They are the pebbled black leather that looks like 'leatherette'. I have seen them from about $79 to $124 USD. I think these pricey cases are the real deal, although I'd do my homework. Certainly the prices will come down with time.

On 'fleabay' I have seen VERY similar (actually they look identical in the limited images shown) black 'leather' cases that they claim are genuine Canon G10 and G11 cases. But when I called, the seller told me they had just (on 11/8/09) tried them on the G11 and they didn't work with the articulating LCD screen. You'd have to pull the G11 out of the case to use the LCD screen.

No wonder they were 'only' $29. I am glad the seller was honest enough to admit it and I hope he takes his claim of it fitting the G11 off the site.

I am leery for the same reason of buying the rather handsome looking brown leather ones, (comon on fleabay) which are of two rather similar variations and have the "Canon" stamp on them. Note differences in the tripod mount on these, although I'm not sure if any of the brown cases said to be for the G11 will work with the LCD. It looks like sellers are trying to unload cases made for the G10 as being G11 compatible.

I am just going to wait until manufacturing of cases catches up with G11 sales/demand and I can be sure that what I get fits, protects and is of good quality -- at a fair price. Buyer beware!

Nick Harman New Member • Posts: 18

When I bought my G10 registering it on Canon.com gave me access to a canon shop where I bought the official brown leather case, which was excellent and fairly priced.

The ebay cases do NOT have matching fitted leather neck straps and I doubt they will let you use the articulated screen. Thats why they're cheap.

I am buying a G11 to replace my stolen G10 btw and that articulated smaller screen and now plastic body are a step backwards for the G11 even tho the internal electronics are a step forward imho

n

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads