Black Rapid users - is it stable?

Started Sep 20, 2009 | Discussions
dudeoflife Junior Member • Posts: 30
question for Higuma

This question is for Higuma. Could you please tell me where you got your green connector to secure the camera to BR system?

MOD Higuma Veteran Member • Posts: 4,418
Re: question for Higuma

dudeoflife wrote:

This question is for Higuma. Could you please tell me where you got your green connector to secure the camera to BR system?

Sorry for the tardy reply I was out of town on an overnight trip....

I actually made that myself using a small stainless keyring connector, a piece of green food grade tubing and a cheap carbiner... Perhaps this photo will be of better reference...

This is my set-up when not using the clamp set up - when using the clamp now I employ a cable with a carbiner at each end - I route the cable through the "D" ring in the connector - - attach one end to any convenient opening in the L-bracket and the other onto the strap...

-- hide signature --

Cheers...

dudeoflife Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: question for Higuma

Thank you. I think it's a great gadget and gives a peace of mind about not loosing the camera. I will see if I can follow your inspiration.

ink0gnito Senior Member • Posts: 1,373
Manfrotto original plate?

Would it not be wise to use the original plate? Is it less sturdy than their connector?

MagicNikon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,445
Nope Nope Nope

Just got rid of mine.

I had my D700 and 80-200mm on it over the weekend, and although I had safety measures installed in case the clip came unscrewed, I wasn't prepared for the strap coming undone while wearing it.

I luckily had my hand on the camera, but the strap just unbuckled for no reason and came loose. If I hadnt been holding the cam, it would have crashed to the ground.

I had the RS-4 version.

exit here Senior Member • Posts: 2,143
Manfrotto original plate Dangerous

The D-ring is more a C than a D ...so no it is recommended you do not hook to the original manfrotto plate.
--

ɹǝpunɥɔ uǝɯ puɐ sʍoןɟ ɹǝǝq ǝɹǝɥʍ
ɹǝpun-uʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ

nice to know

I was about to use the Manfrotto plate sigh

i couldn't unscrew the bolt

tried with pliers... perhaps I didn't apply my pressure (although I doubt it), but the bolt didn't unscrew. I either got the "newer" version or I am doing something wrong.

dermicha
dermicha Contributing Member • Posts: 781
yes!

used the Back Rapid (D700 70-200) on several (very different) 'whole day' occasions. (music)festivals, congresses and recently while jungle trekking on sumatra. all I can say I never had any problems and it does its job perfectly for me.

SeeRoy wrote:

I have been looking (again) at the Black Rapid system, which seems to offer a decent solution to the ever present problem of comfort when using heavy camera/lens combinations. What occurs to me is that the single mounting point may be a limitation. When a regular strap is worn across the shoulders you have similar functionality (a bit more friction when bringing it up of course) but the dual mounting points offer some stabilisation of the camera when moving about. It looks to me as though the BR system, even though the camera is against the body (with lens pointing backward, which seems like a good idea) it's going to be constantly trying to rotate around the single mounting point, and thus very unstable (and annoying).

Would any users of the BR system like to comment on this? I was about to order one (no UK suppliers unfortiunately) when this occurred to me. The other system that I looked at was the Cotton Carrier; I suspect I might feel something of a wally wearing one though...

The TT support systems etc are not something that I'd be happy buying online as I feel it would be essential to try out the various components before buying. The BR strap looked like an easy choice... at first.

Roy
--
Trying...

-- hide signature --

regards
michael

sorry for bad english
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91624034@N00
http://miclart.deviantart.com/gallery/

your not as good as your gear makes you...
your gear is as good as you make it.

John Gerecht Regular Member • Posts: 334
Re: I find it unscrews itself a little - I don't trust mine

With the Upstrap, it's either over my shoulder or around my neck.

CMalsingh wrote:

John Gerecht wrote:

I've had several Upstraps. I love them. They are the only neck straps that simply never slip off my shoulder.

Hi John, can you advise if you have the strap over just the shoulder its hanging from, or diagonally across your body?

I prefer the former, but usually find the weight of camer etc makes the strap slide down my shoulder. I'd hear people say how good the non-slip of the Upstrap was but wanted to confirm under what conditions this was.

-- hide signature --

'Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera.'
Yousuf Karsh

John Gerecht Regular Member • Posts: 334
Re: I find it unscrews itself a little - I don't trust mine

I have the old one, but recently bought the new one that looks awesome and might change my mind about the blackstrap.
--

'Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera.'
Yousuf Karsh

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads