Problems with my DS

Started Sep 20, 2009 | Discussions
PentaxDS New Member • Posts: 9
Problems with my DS

Something unusual has cropped up this past week. The dial that performs multiple functions of exposure compensation, adjusting shutter speed/aperture, magnification of images in playback mode, etc has been mis-behaving. The magnification jumps from 1x to 1.2x to 1.4x (if at all), then back to the standard image, even if the dial is turned in the same direction. For exposure compensation, it is very erratic as well.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Any thoughts? Firmware was last updated a few years ago, and is current. Is there a hard-reset mechanism that I could put the camera through? My instinct says this is a possible short-circuit somewhere.... I see $$$ in repairs on the horizon. All this when I have a mint 28/2.8 KA lens in the mail.

Dreticus Contributing Member • Posts: 968
Re: Problems with my DS

Sorry, I cannot help! But did you try with some spray? That sometimes does wonders.

PentaxDS wrote:

Something unusual has cropped up this past week. The dial that performs multiple functions of exposure compensation, adjusting shutter speed/aperture, magnification of images in playback mode, etc has been mis-behaving. The magnification jumps from 1x to 1.2x to 1.4x (if at all), then back to the standard image, even if the dial is turned in the same direction. For exposure compensation, it is very erratic as well.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Any thoughts? Firmware was last updated a few years ago, and is current. Is there a hard-reset mechanism that I could put the camera through? My instinct says this is a possible short-circuit somewhere.... I see $$$ in repairs on the horizon. All this when I have a mint 28/2.8 KA lens in the mail.

-- hide signature --

Andreas

Jarda_Houdek Contributing Member • Posts: 812

This problem can't be possibly caused by FW. Your camera is just getting old. You can try opening it and cleaning the electrical contacts around the dial. Disassembly of the DS is not difficult and you don't have to worry about void warranty anymore.
--
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/jaroslavhoudek

Jarda_Houdek's gear list:Jarda_Houdek's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more

Here is a detailed description of how to open the DS:
http://2k8.ch/xdeltax-alt/tutirmodding/index.html

Pentax K10D Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
bilybianca Contributing Member • Posts: 636

I've had this problem, sent the camera in, had a new board at a horrible price (would have been cheaper to buy a used one on ebay) and I am a happy camper ever after. But a few weeks after I got mine back, I read about this problem in a forum thread, where users had fixed the problem with a few drops of the sensor cleaning liquid you get if you buy such a set. Just a few drops under the wheel, it'll all go away by itself after doing it's cleaning job. I'd try this before opening the camera and cleaning.

Kjell

bilybianca's gear list:bilybianca's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +24 more
OP PentaxDS New Member • Posts: 9

Well, thanks for all your posts. I looked at the link for instructions on opening up the camera. Seems pretty thorough, but I'm not THAT gung-ho at this time. So, what is sensor cleaning fluid, and where do I find it? Do I just put a few drops at or around the wheel?

Thank you again.... BTW, the K7 seems a very tempting proposition. I'd like to try and wait till it drops under $999.

bilybianca Contributing Member • Posts: 636

You can buy sets of sensor cleaning pads with a small bottle of cleaning fluid. The fluid is some kind of alcohol and leaves no remains at all. These sets come from various suppliers on the net, since I'm in Sweden I don't think my supplier is any good for you. Try googling "sensor cleaning".

Don't use petroleum based contact spray with grease in it!

A few drops in the little opening under the wheel, turn camera to spread the fluid and turn the wheel, and your problem should be gone.

The K7 seems like a very fine camera, but whatever you do, don't get rid of your DS! It's a fantastic little camera. I have a K20 and a DS, use both. With the DS I can use my old TTL flashes, and it's better at high ISO.

Kjell

bilybianca's gear list:bilybianca's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +24 more
SelrahCharleS Senior Member • Posts: 2,735
I had this problem...

The solution that worked for me is to put some contact cleaner on the dial and spin it a few times. I use something called Allsop Ultreen, but I've heard the CRC Contact Cleaner works well too. The Ultreen stuff smells like isopropyl alcohol, so you could probably just use some of that.

Turn off the camera. Put 2 or 3 drops of contact cleaner directly on the dial and spin it a few times. Make sure it gets in the crack on both sides of the dial. There is no need for camera dis-assembly or sending it in for repairs. I have to do it every couple of weeks now, but it does solve the problem for quite a while, and since it only takes a couple of drops your cleaning solution lasts a long time.

PentaxDS wrote:

-- hide signature --

Technical Info: Roseart U.S.A. Gold #2 pencil, Pentel High Polymer eraser, Academie sketch pad drawing paper. Drawn clumsily under relatively poor light.

http://www.geocities.com/wild_tiger_1

http://flickr.com/photos/selrahcharles/

Re: I had this problem...: Thanks!

Thanks guys!. I'll give it a whorl and will be sure to let you know. I'm sure I can find something close to 80% alcohol in the office. I work in a hospital, so shouldn't be that hard.

I love the camera, and would hate to see it go bad with just over 10k shots.

Re: I had this problem...

So, I found isopropyl alcohol. The problem is that it is 70% only, and the remaining is purified water. I put a few drops on my table, and it dried in about 5-10 min. I bet 100% alcohol will dry quicker. I wonder if the 30% water is going to kill the camera. I belive this is a moisture issue, and it doesn't make me feel any better about using this product.

I plan to check in our research lab. There I ought to find 100% alcohol. I'll keep you guys posted as to what happens.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,759
Btw

just 1 or 2 drops on the lower side of the dial will do. There is no contact on the upper side of the dial. Be sure to let it dry completely before loading the batteries.
--
Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

My camera may be an alcoholic!

So, here's the update... I found 70% isopropyl alcohol. I used a very thin 27G needle to put a few drops under the dial which I subsequently turned to distribute the liquid. Nothing seemed to have changed after letting it dry for 6 hours (just to be sure). I tried it the 2nd time. I also called Pentax and explained to the lady the problem I was experiencing.

She had be reset the camera in the custom and tools menus. Lo and behold! Everything worked normally!! She indicated that this was not the first time she had this kind of call. It did not take her more than 2 sec to come up with this fix, and she was confident as she walked me through the steps.

So I don't know what worked, the reset or the 2nd round of alcohol. If its the latter, then my camera is an alcoholic! Who said alcohol can't solve problems?

Thank you guys for all your thoughts and suggestions! I would have been short a pretty penny had it not been for you guys' suggestions.

Re: My camera may be an alcoholic!

I'm glad it worked for you. Few weeks ago I had opportunity to buy used DS (more like abused DS in fact) very cheap, like 150euros. I missed it, because it exhibited the problem you just solved. So now I can start to regret it.
--
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/jaroslavhoudek

ardpreview Regular Member • Posts: 348

dang i wish you had posted earlier

i was having the exact same problem as you with the thumb wheel and i took it into the camera shop for repair.

they diagnosed it and said it will cost $108 cad to repair/replace the thumb wheel and it will take them about 3 weeks to fix. I needed my camera to dual wield for an event this friday

I'm tempted to cancel the repair, try the solutions here and if they dont work then let the repair shop handle it

I cant believe a simple reset worked. wow

thanks for posting. I might pm for more instructions on how you did the reset.

-- hide signature --

var

ardpreview wrote:

i was having the exact same problem as you with the thumb wheel and i took it into the camera shop for repair.

they diagnosed it and said it will cost $108 cad to repair/replace the thumb wheel and it will take them about 3 weeks to fix. I needed my camera to dual wield for an event this friday

I'm tempted to cancel the repair, try the solutions here and if they dont work then let the repair shop handle it

I cant believe a simple reset worked. wow

thanks for posting. I might pm for more instructions on how you did the reset.

I don't think you have anything to lose by trying this before your camera is opened up, God forbid something happens then. I don't have the camera here with me (at work), but if you press the MENU button, and use the right-scroll to get to the PLAYBACK and CUSTOM SETTINGS sub-menus, you will find that they each have a "RESET" option all the way at the bottom. Do that. If not, try some alcohol. Hope you save some money!

jeffster_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 636

ardpreview wrote:

var

I have been using contact spray for a couple of years now. It has worked for me, however the reset is interesting as Pentax Canada never told me this one.

EXCELLENT!

My problem is my wheel is dirty as I use my *istds outdoors 98% of the time in all extreme weather. 30+ celcius and 30 below celcius. Great tank of a camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads