ZD 14-35mm blog review

Started Sep 15, 2009 | Discussions
Cynops Veteran Member • Posts: 6,119
ZD 14-35mm blog review

Hii folks,

Just stumbled on this link :

http://brandoneu.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-personal-review-of-zuiko-digital-ed.html

Not a bad review... mmm... want want want...

I didn't say need !

Marc
--
http://mdezemery.zenfolio.com/

Cynops's gear list:Cynops's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
OaklandWoody Veteran Member • Posts: 6,102
Re: ZD 14-35mm blog review

Now is the time to get any gear, because in a couple of months, you may not have that option
--
Feel free to tear me apart
---cheers
woody
http://woodydelp.smugmug.com/

OP Cynops Veteran Member • Posts: 6,119
Grrrr... Woody...

OaklandWoody wrote:

Now is the time to get any gear, because in a couple of months, you may not have that option

I'm scouting fleabay at the moment ... shhhht, don't tell !

Marc
--

Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,679

If I had more $$$ I would buy the 7-14 and 14-35. Alas!

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +13 more
Michael M Fliegel

What?

Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +13 more
Woody is referring...

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

What?

...Woody is referring at my wife and i becoming a family in about 2 months ; he's implying i should get any gear i want before that period, or never ; i replied that i was just doing that !

Cheers,

Marc
--

holy_oly Regular Member • Posts: 466

this is cruel.

brandon eu New Member • Posts: 3

Hi all,

Greetings from Melbourne (this is my first post here).

Marc, thanks for directing some extra traffic to my site

Thanks for reading, and do leave some comments. Questions are also welcome.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Melbourne Zuikoholic
http://brandoneu.blogspot.com

RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,351
The ZD 14-35mm : I am really NOT considering that one

Just want to voice my reasoning on this lens, in order to maybe soothe the pains of others with urgent lens lust for this item...

I am convinced it is a great lens, but I have too many already.

I am so happy with my ZD14-54, that I did not even upgrade to the ZD12-60.

Sure, I like those F2.0 values, but for me they are more useful at longer focal lengths.

And the final factor, is, of course, the fact that for shorter focal distances (though not wide angle), I have all the speed I could ever want, and then some, in the PL25mm F1.4.

I have experienced that if I take the ZD7-14 and the ZD50-200, almost everything inbetween that calls for a focal length between 14 and 50, can be covered with 25mm.

And although it is not a cheap lens (and may be hard to obtain nowadays), the PL25mm is still a hell of a lot cheaper than the ZD14-35mm.

(People for whom the ZD14-35 would probably be most useful are those that must cover some different focal lengths, including wide angle, from a fixed spot in low light circumstances (like the photo spot during a wedding service).
--
Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Re: The ZD 14-35mm : I am really NOT considering that one

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Just want to voice my reasoning on this lens, in order to maybe soothe the pains of others with urgent lens lust for this item...

I lust, but don't need. You know the feeling ! So i won't get...

And the final factor, is, of course, the fact that for shorter focal distances (though not wide angle), I have all the speed I could ever want, and then some, in the PL25mm F1.4.

Indeed. This one i have too, and is fantastic. But it can't take the lust away.

Same with the 35-100 and the 150 f/2 : i've got those covered with the 50-200 and the sig 150, and i don't shoot low light (or not that much). But hey, man, who wouldn't lust after those 2 ?

There we go...

Marc
--

Michael M Fliegel
Re: Woody is referring...

Congrats! But you had me nervious for a minute......

brandon eu New Member • Posts: 3
Re: The ZD 14-35mm : I am really NOT considering that one

As expected, the 14-35 isn't a lens for the masses :).

Before making hasty judgments, its best to try out one at your local store to ensure it meets your personal photographic needs. Others may brag about having faster aperture lenses (like the leica 25/1.4), but the convenience of prime lens-like image quality in a f2.0 zoom lens is remarkable.

cheers.
--
Melbourne Zuikoholic
http://brandoneu.blogspot.com

Travel_G
Travel_G Contributing Member • Posts: 761

Indeed,

I gather it is your first one so everything to get.

My experience tells me that 1 14-35=1 good pushchair/combo+1 good car seat +1 bedroom (bed+table à langer (nappy changing table???)+wardrobe)+all the "biberon" stuffs

The amount of money spent on baby stuff can pile up with frightening proportion.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/guillaumeserandour/

Travel_G's gear list:Travel_G's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,351
Just to make things clear...

brandon eu wrote:

As expected, the 14-35 isn't a lens for the masses :).

Before making hasty judgments, its best to try out one at your local store to ensure it meets your personal photographic needs. Others may brag about having faster aperture lenses (like the leica 25/1.4), but the convenience of prime lens-like image quality in a f2.0 zoom lens is remarkable.

I know because I use the ZD35-100.
And Marc knows quite well that I don't "brag about faster aperture lenses".

I'm just voicing an opinion like there are many, and mine is that in that focal range, I am covered for range and aperture.

For the range above 35 mm I was prepared to deal with the weight and size, but much less so for the range below 35mm, in which I already have nice stuff to work with.
Just a matter of taste, needs, preferences and opinion.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,486
That's about my kit these days

7-14, PL25, 50-200. Still have my original 14-54, it doesn't get much use any more. Has been replaced with the PL25 and my feet.

I've seen some ultra sharp shots out of the 14-35. It does seem to render differently than the PL25, perhaps a bit sharper overall, but missing a certain soft/sharp element that the PL25 does so well.

Not sharp enough to get me to consider the price, though.

Same story with the 35-100. I lust after it, but the price...

Jan3x5 Senior Member • Posts: 2,523

A great user review, one of the best ways how to do that.

I got my 14-35 just few weeks ago and it is stunning lens. During the years I owned and used (in this range) 14-45, 14-54, 12-60, PL 14-50, PL 14-150, but 14-35 leaves all of them in dust. I am amazed how sharp and contrast this lens is, how smooth is bokeh, how distortion-free are images and also with the difference in shallower DOF, which suits my needs just perfect. And I really like the big outer barrel diameter of this lens (the reason why I loved 150), which is very comfortable for me. It is perfect match for my favourite lens of all times - 35-100/2.0. I did not perform side-by-side comparison, but outputs (at 35 mm) looks very similar (including bokeh and colour rendition), which is huge improvement over cheaper standard zooms. Sometimes slower focusing is not an issue for my needs (but still think that best SWD lenses are f/2 lenses without SWD ...). I really like everything on this lens except the doors in the hood (huge design fault) and the 14 mm wide end - with 12 mm it will be much more flexible.

But when discussing this lens I must complain AF accuracy, which dissapointed me again. As I know E-3 accuracy issues with f/2 lenses very well (and hate it), I decided to buy 14-35 in set with another brand new E-3 body to avoid accuracy issues. I was really shocked that Olympus just packs the body and lens together without calibrating or even check them - after initial testing I found horrible front focussing and big accuracy issues also with 35-100. I many times admire Oly service so they did repair and calibration, which solved 35-100 issues, but not 14-35 which still front focuses quite strong. So I will send it again for repair and hope they will solve that and wish that E-3 follower will be free of these issues - it is very dissappointing if superior optics doesn't work because of electronics.

Jan3x5's gear list:Jan3x5's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more
ShatteredSky
ShatteredSky Senior Member • Posts: 1,810

That is true, but it's worth it. Like good photo equipment, it pays off in the end. I (we) were glad to have spent for a good carriage and all.

Cheers

Claudius
--
Member of the LAGIMESCE

(local action group for introduction of mandatory environmental sealing in consumer
electronics)

ShatteredSky's gear list:ShatteredSky's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic LX100 Samsung NX300 Olympus E-PL7 Samsung NX500 +3 more
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 1,814

Jan3X5 wrote:

But when discussing this lens I must complain AF accuracy, which dissapointed me again. As I know E-3 accuracy issues with f/2 lenses very well (and hate it), I decided to buy 14-35 in set with another brand new E-3 body to avoid accuracy issues. I was really shocked that Olympus just packs the body and lens together without calibrating or even check them - after initial testing I found horrible front focussing and big accuracy issues also with 35-100. I many times admire Oly service so they did repair and calibration, which solved 35-100 issues, but not 14-35 which still front focuses quite strong. So I will send it again for repair and hope they will solve that and wish that E-3 follower will be free of these issues - it is very dissappointing if superior optics doesn't work because of electronics.

Jan,
I wonder how many people share your story.

I bought a 35-100 to match the 14-35 (which was issue free on my E3), and had to send it in for service immediately due to faultering Auto focus at f2, together with the camera.

I expect it back this week, but am fully aware that despite the undoubted goodwill of Oly service, I cannot expect too much.

Reading all the stories of unfortunate co-owners of back/frontfocussing f2 lenses, I believe it's currently beyond Olympus' powers to produce their Auto focus setup within acceptable tolerance.

This simply undermines the functionality and status (due to the fabulous optics) of the f2 lenses, and if the E3 needs to be released as a markII, it's worth the release if nothing else changes other than the incorporation of a decent user lens calibration tool.

Is it really plausible to sell 2000,- euro lenses with benchmark optics, that produce useless photo's due to consistent misfocussing, in the year 2009?

Hope Olympus will return your 14-35 and E3 with decent focussing.

Chris

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha a7R II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Pentax HD DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW Zeiss Loxia 35
Jan3x5 Senior Member • Posts: 2,523

Exactly. I am not sure if I am over-sensitive to focus accuracy, but I simply expecting absolute accuracy at any distance. All of my E-3 bodies (three) and all of my f/2 glass (2x 35-100, 150, 14-35) have been at least one time for repair or calibration. The Oly service is excellent, they are very friendly, extremely fast (in my case 3-4 business days), but it is annoying for me and for them too. The worse is that I am sure they can do that - they replaced AF modules both in body and lens and calibrated on more distances my (past) 150/2.0 and it focused absolutely accurate. In fact, I never seen that before on any system, after the repair it has been hair accurate on any distance and - even more interesting - using any AF point. But the standard procedure (altough using master devices) is not good enough for longer distances FF/BF as they proof the accuracy on testcharts and all of my troubles were (and are) on longer distances - sometimes on 2 meters, sometimes on 10 meters, but not on 1 meter. The only way is to describe it in detail, provide them with set of test shots with marked target and real focus and force them to calibrate on long distances.

Still I think that E-3 is amazing body and it works and worked sweet with lenses of max. aperture of f/2.8 or smaller - but it should work excellent with high-end glass and it should do that out-of-the-box. Honestly I am pretty tired from attempts to get exactly for what I paid, but as I don't know about any better gear for me regardless on brand (not to mention the Nikon service - worst I have ever seen) I will keep it and hope they will solve that once just perfect. Wish you to get your issues solved definitely and enjoy your gear soon - once the 35-100 works as promised (and expected) it is hard to beat.

btw: it is sad that when I shooted pretty hard and for quite long time with E-300, 14-54, 50-200 and 50 macro, I have no accuracy issues and I started going to service for the first time with the most expensive lenses Oly offers.

Jan3x5's gear list:Jan3x5's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more
Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,606

Cynops wrote:

Not a bad review... mmm... want want want...

Apart from the AF issues (well .. ok .. and the weight, size and cost...), the thing I just can't understand with this lens is why its a 14-35 and not a 12-35. They took long enough releasing the bloody thing and rehashing the design. The competition ALL seem to have moved to the 24-70mm eff range. Both Canon and Sigma are even on their second iteration of this focal length. And as someone who owns and uses both a 28-70 and 24-70, I know that there is a BIG difference in real life practical use having the additional FOV of the wider lens. Its uncanny how many times I've noticed that 28mm is JUST not wide enough for a whole host of things - get the whole building in ... get all the people in a group ... get that width on a perspective I'm after ... - however its rare that 24mm can't cut it, and when it can't, I usually need a LOT more width anyway.

I'm sure its a sharp lens. But sharpness is only one factor in what makes a lens desirable. My 28-70 is as sharp as they come, but often I hate using it as it frustrates the cr@p out of me. I use it because of the optical qualities I can get out of it, but its a case of I need, need, need, rather than I want, want, want.

Just a counter POV. I understand if for some YMMV.

Cheers
G.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads