Firmware 1.1

Started Sep 15, 2009 | Discussions
joao 43
joao 43 Contributing Member • Posts: 507
Firmware 1.1

Finally, the update. Just updated my PEN combo. Hope it will bring some changes.
23mb for the body and 192k for the pancake..
Lets see...

Regards

João

joao 43's gear list:joao 43's gear list
Ricoh GR II Olympus PEN E-P1 Sony a7 Sony a7R II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +6 more
joao 43
OP joao 43 Contributing Member • Posts: 507
Re: Firmware 1.1

It works, it's a little faster. I didn't notice any improvement with my 4/3's lenses only with the pancake 17mm.

Regards

João

Ricoh GR II Olympus PEN E-P1 Sony a7 Sony a7R II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +6 more
Jman13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,424

Initial AF (single shot) appears to have some improvement, especially in better light, but shot to shot at similar focus distances is VASTLY improved, especially with the 14-42. It used to take the same amount of time as the first focus, but now, if you're close to the same focus point, it's about 3x faster than it was before. Can't say that C-AF is improved, but I haven't actually used a moving subject, nor in good light, and I never used it before (I have a 1 series Canon for when I'm shooting action, so this is mostly irrelevant to me).

So, not earth shattering, but an improvement.
--
--------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.jordansteele.com

joao 43
OP joao 43 Contributing Member • Posts: 507

...indeed.

Regards

João

One thing to note: when you have the camera with an updateable lens attached and you launch the firmware update, it will update the body, then be 'done'. You need to check again to update the lens firmware. I thought I updated both the body and lens firmware on my 17, which is why I didn't notice much improvement on the 17, but then I checked the 'firmware' status in the menu and saw the lens was still at 1.0...hooked up again and it is now updating the 17's firmware....and now that's done, and there is noticeable improvement in AF speed there too! In fact, in good light, the 17 is rivaling non-USM SLR lenses (I'd say it's even pretty close to my Sigma 50 f/1.4 in decent light).

One thing to note is that the E-P1's firmware slows down AF in dim light to ensure accuracy...there's not a lot of improvement in dim light. point it at something bright, though, and the difference is very apparent.
--

Hellfire8888 Regular Member • Posts: 112

I am always sceptical about improve AF after firmware update. Can someone try to show the before and after update performance of the AF?

thanks

Well, I'm not going to take a video (and someone will have to do it before the update, as you can't revert back at this time). I'd estimate that in good light, the 14-42 focuses about 40% faster on initial acquisition of focus, and upon focusing at similar distance (or on the same subject), it's at least twice as fast, if not faster.

The 17mm appears to be almost twice as fast in good light upon initial acquisition, with only slight difference on refocus (since it's already pretty quick there). More than pleased with the 17mm's new AF performance.

In low light, however, there is essentially no improvement in speed (I'm sure intentionally for accuracy) on initial focus, but focusing close to the same point as the previous shot is about 50% faster.
--

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 40,641
23MB(!)- wow that's a lot...

though it could be a full on update even with unchanged code, that's still a lot of code.

Hope it brings more speed.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d (Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Games Developer)
Andreas Feininger (1906-1999) 'Photographers — idiots, of which there are
so many — say, “Oh, if only I had a Nikon or a Leica, I could make great
photographs.” That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. It’s
nothing but a matter of seeing, and thinking, and interest. That’s what
makes a good photograph.'

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 40,641
If those numbers are correct I would say it's a big improvement!

40% faster is quite the improvement.

Even if the super huge improvement is in focusing on an object that was close to focus already, that also makes a big difference in feel & usability.

Sounds like Olympus did a lot of good work from what you are saying.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d (Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Games Developer)
Andreas Feininger (1906-1999) 'Photographers — idiots, of which there are
so many — say, “Oh, if only I had a Nikon or a Leica, I could make great
photographs.” That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. It’s
nothing but a matter of seeing, and thinking, and interest. That’s what
makes a good photograph.'

Bryan Biggers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,547
Re: 23MB(!)- wow that's a lot...

A few things I've noticed...

• speed improvement with the 14-42. My "before" timings were about 1.2 seconds, now 0.9 seconds. Occasionally it will do better, like 0.6 seconds, but I don't have any good light to test with at the moment. It does seem faster.

• C-AF is improved. It bops back and forth more rapidly, and seems to track better. Using C-AF seems to result in a faster shutter speed too, about 0.6 sec... not sure about this yet. But maybe it will be worth using.

• C-AF seems to work better in movie mode. When the focus goes out, it makes a quick focus cycle, but slower than the normal cycle, they are probably trying to reduce the noise.

• Sleep mode is fixed. Previously my camera would just turn off, not sleep. Now it will wake up again.

• None of the other suggestions such as having the ISO on the screen in auto mode.

Very nice, in all.

I'm hoping that one of the pro review sites, DPreview or Imaging Resource can re-time the camera if they still have one, with the same methodology as was used previously.

Bryan Biggers's gear list:Bryan Biggers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III
freealfas
freealfas Senior Member • Posts: 1,539

will have to see if it fixed the exif info bug @ 42mm

freealfas's gear list:freealfas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 6800 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 +16 more
monad68 Regular Member • Posts: 117

updated w/ 14-42mm kit zoom, BIG and NOTICEABLE improvement, i do not regret at all buying the E-P1 over the GF1, though I am still not sure if the AF is faster than the GF1.

shooting indoors tonight, i feel like shutter speed has improved as well, but that may be my imagination.

SayJaiBow Contributing Member • Posts: 750

Just did the updates. It's definitely much better for autofocus speed in decent lighting, but in low light especially low contrast areas there's not that much difference. It still doesn't get the lock as much as I would like. bummer because that's what I was hoping it would fix.. low light focus accuracy.

The firmware also didn't fix the upredictable flash behavior either.. that's the other major problem I had. Oh well maybe next time. =\

kovinda Junior Member • Posts: 47

I have the 17mm pencake. Just updated with both body and lens firmware to 1.1. To be honest I can't really tell if the S-AF is faster or not, at least not significantly. However, I noticed the sound of the AF operation is slightly different now. Didn't test C-AF though.

Make sure that the lens is actually at 1.1...the software won't update both at the same time...only the body first. I had to reconnect to get it to update the 17mm. No difference really in poor light, but go to brighter light, and the difference is pretty big, IMO.
--

ageha
ageha Contributing Member • Posts: 651

As good as the GH1 now?

Jman13 wrote:

Make sure that the lens is actually at 1.1...the software won't update both at the same time...only the body first. I had to reconnect to get it to update the 17mm. No difference really in poor light, but go to brighter light, and the difference is pretty big, IMO.
--

ageha's gear list:ageha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +17 more
TEBnewyork
TEBnewyork Forum Pro • Posts: 11,337

I'm in the process of making a before and after video with the 14-42.
--
terry
http://tbanet.zenfolio.com/

PGR streetshooter Contributing Member • Posts: 977

Yeah the AF is an improvement.....
but the Focus scale is still the same....it ain't...
--
http://www.streetshooter.us
Vice President, Friends Of The Forgotten
http://www.friendsoftheforgotten.org

SPaul
SPaul Contributing Member • Posts: 792
My PEN is so fast now . . .

. . . . it is fully focused BEFORE I turn it on !!!

(Welllll . . . . maybe just a l-i-t-t-l-e later.)

I do notice improvement in AF, with the 14-42, in a moderately lit room. I am anxious to try it in daylight tomorrow.

Paul
Vancouver, WA . . . USA

galleries at:
http://www.pbase.com/spdavis/my_favorites

SPaul's gear list:SPaul's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +41 more
dylanear Veteran Member • Posts: 3,423
No other features? Re: Firmware 1.1

I'm happy to see the AF improvement, but was also really hoping for a manual focus imprpovement as well. Like a one button (Fnc) zoom in for non FT/MFT lenses. Perhaps a central focus area zoom while leaving the edges unzoomed for compostion? (a varible size on the zoomed area would be great)

But I'll take what I can get.

dylanear's gear list:dylanear's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus PEN E-P5 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads