GH1 strap holder broke off :(

Started Sep 14, 2009 | Discussions
tke918 New Member • Posts: 3
GH1 strap holder broke off :(

Just after 4 month of use, my GH1's strap holder just broke off

How it happened was that... I was just walking on a street with my GH1 on my shoulder and suddenly the strap holder broke off and GH1 was dropped on a paved street. I didn't do anything strange. It was just on my shoulder.

The camera was a little scratched up by that. But I worry more about the lense. I think the lense is more sensitive than camera itself.

I'm so disappointed by this accident. I have been using GH1 almost everyday just like any other camera I had before. But any of them had strap holder problems like this.

Anyway... sigh...

JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,763
Re: GH1 strap holder broke off :(

Thanks for the warning! The GH1 has lugs on the side for a neck strap (same as G1) so it looks like that's the better thing to use.

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +4 more
BobbyT Regular Member • Posts: 431

It looks like the rivet attachment for the lug was not fully crimped by the factory. I would send the camera in to Panasonic, explain what happened and the resulting impact of the camera on the pavement, and ask for warranty replacement.

kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375
Huh?

JosephScha wrote:

The GH1 has lugs on the side for a neck strap (same as G1) so it looks like that's the better thing to use.

It is the lug that broke off his camera!
--
Ken W

Rebel XT, XTi, Pany LX-3, FZ-28, Fuji F30, and a lot of 35mm and 4x5 sitting in the closet...

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,763
Re: Huh?

Thanks, now that I'm looking at the picture again (while more awake?) I see that it's the side of the camera. That's not good at all. Perhaps it would be less stressed by a neck strap, but that's not what I meant in my previous post, which was in error.

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +4 more
Kirwin
Kirwin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256
Agree w/ BobbyT (nt)
-- hide signature --
 Kirwin's gear list:Kirwin's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Brian Mosley Forum Pro • Posts: 20,709
Must remember not to carry heavy lenses on the G1...

I know some people use very heavy (like the ZD 35-100mm f2) lenses on their G1... I thought it was a strong camera, but now I'll make sure I don't put any weight on those strap lugs.

I know it's a manufacturing defect in this case, but I won't be taking any chances.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck with the warranty replacement.

Kind Regards

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Jay Miller Contributing Member • Posts: 937
Another reason not to tote it around with heavy lenses

And to use a strap with some elastic "give" to lessen carry shock. Also, do not run with the camera so the thing bounces with the strap on your neck or shoulder. We can't expect these small, plastic bodies to take the abuse a semi-pro or pro metal body can.

GregGory Veteran Member • Posts: 4,252
Re: Another reason not to tote it around with heavy lenses

Jay Miller wrote:

And to use a strap with some elastic "give" to lessen carry shock. Also, do not run with the camera so the thing bounces with the strap on your neck or shoulder. We can't expect these small, plastic bodies to take the abuse a semi-pro or pro metal body can.

Has nothing to do with the plastic, it's the metal part(s) that failed.

-- hide signature --

'If you can imagine sharing a waterbed with a baboon that's just been doused in itching powder.'

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 15,685

Wow. That part is underengineered. Period.

I hope Panny does right by you, and upgrades the design as a running change to the model rather than waiting until the next redesign. Unacceptable in a camera of this price.

Good luck,

Rick

FreedomWalker Regular Member • Posts: 154

I would be very disappointed if this happens to me! Come on, the camera not been out that long, less than a year yet people are reporting all sort of problens ie with paint peeling off, shutter button comin off, and now strap lugs coming off, what next? Very disapponited for a camera at this price point! My LX3 which I had since last October and used all the time is still as new and very pleased with the build quality. I was hoping to pick up a G1 before Christmas but I am not sure now. What will GF1 like I wondered......?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/freedomwalker/

SigmaDelta10 Regular Member • Posts: 315

This is plain horror. It's about the most simple part of the camera and it should never fail. They should replace your GH1 ! The only thing they can do.

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902

Hmm .. I won't be buying one of those!

-- hide signature --

Phil .. Canon EOS 40D, 20D, G9, SD700IS; Panasonic LX3, ZS3/TZ7; Fuji F31fd.
http://www.pbase.com/phil_wheeler
http://philwheeler.net

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
Jay Miller Contributing Member • Posts: 937

GregGory wrote:

Jay Miller wrote:

Has nothing to do with the plastic, it's the metal part(s) that failed.

Actually, it does. The metal parts are very small/thin because of space issues. Hence, no strength. If the body was metal, they would be bolted right though it with a simple, strong screw thread mount. I've seen old SLR mounts, they can't really break like the G1 mount did.

GregGory Veteran Member • Posts: 4,252

Jay Miller wrote:

Actually, it does. The metal parts are very small/thin because of space issues. Hence, no strength. If the body was metal, they would be bolted right though it with a simple, strong screw thread mount. I've seen old SLR mounts, they can't really break like the G1 mount did.

A cut up GH1/G1 revealed plenty of space in the body, certainly plenty of space to add another mm of steel. It's more like a weight cutting measure or simply a bad riveting.

-- hide signature --

'If you can imagine sharing a waterbed with a baboon that's just been doused in itching powder.'

CAMMASTER Contributing Member • Posts: 941

tke918 wrote:

Just after 4 month of use, my GH1's strap holder just broke off

How it happened was that... I was just walking on a street with my GH1 on my shoulder and suddenly the strap holder broke off and GH1 was dropped on a paved street. I didn't do anything strange. It was just on my shoulder.

The camera was a little scratched up by that. But I worry more about the lense. I think the lense is more sensitive than camera itself.

I'm so disappointed by this accident. I have been using GH1 almost everyday just like any other camera I had before. But any of them had strap holder problems like this.

Anyway... sigh...

Not good is it , deary me !

-- hide signature --

I have my opinion and so I am allowed to give just my point of view

John Prichard Regular Member • Posts: 138

29 days of regular use and the left (as seen from the back) strap post came out. I was holding the strap close in so the camera swung into a chair but did not fall to the floor. I had the 20mm lens on so nothing to really damage except my feelings toward the assembly of this camera.

Carelessly they have left locktite off the nut in their assembly. I can hear the nut rattle around in there. I am not sure what to do. I called Panasonic's number and a computer told me to UPS insure it back to them with not further explanation as to what to put inside or authorization code or anything ... Yikes I am not going that route.

The HD Movie forums like the dvxforum have had the same problems. Their solution: Leave the nut inside (it might not hurt anything), put a wrist strap on the right or better yet get a "Black Rapid" strap that attaches to tripod mount and live with it ... they use the flip back quite a bit in their uses and think the left post attachment was in the way of that anyway.

John
--
johnsrecon.wordpress.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnprichard

rfdandrea Regular Member • Posts: 364

If people don't send them back, then Panny won't see the pattern of failure. Assuming they care, of course.

ht888 Regular Member • Posts: 164

I called Panasonic's number and a computer told me to UPS insure it back to them with not further explanation as to what to put inside or authorization code or anything ... Yikes I am not going that route.

Common sense would dictate that you wrap the camera up, make a copy of both your warranty card and authorized dealer receipt (if applicable), elastic band the papers to the wrapped camera, put it in a box with foam peanuts or some other kind of padding, and ship it to the supplied Panasonic address, insured and traceable. What's difficult about this?

The HD Movie forums like the dvxforum have had the same problems. Their solution: Leave the nut inside (it might not hurt anything), put a wrist strap on the right or better yet get a "Black Rapid" strap that attaches to tripod mount and live with it ... they use the flip back quite a bit in their uses and think the left post attachment was in the way of that anyway.

A metal nut bouncing around inside a space with exposed electronic circuit boards? I don't think so. Just send it in for repairs, no need to waste time or brain juice thinking about this one.

kernow Forum Pro • Posts: 12,441

What you can do as a precaution is get a bit of material, leather or webbing and sew it to your strap so that it goes completely under the camera body, then get a flat head 1/4 20 bolt and screw the added safety piece to the camera tripod mount.
--
Oll an gwella,
Jim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads