DA*16-50 problem

Started Sep 13, 2009 | Discussions
shane gerrish
shane gerrish Veteran Member • Posts: 5,980
DA*16-50 problem

My DA*16-50/2.8 has been a beauty and perfect for 4WD comps ... the speed and focal range is just right.
I took the K7 for its first outing this weekend.

but ...
half way through the comp it started to not focus .

slowly racked from one end to the other taking about 2 seconds each way but the focus confirmation light would not come on.
tried S and C ... no difference.
when on M i can manually focus and the focus light illiminates.
i tried my DA*50-135/2.8 and it works fine.

tried the 16-50 on my K20D and it won't focus on that either.

any ideas?
--
Shane,Gold Coast Aussie. Lens list in profile.
http://bigred4x4.blogspot.com/2008/01/welcome.html

shane gerrish's gear list:shane gerrish's gear list
Pentax K-1
godfrog Senior Member • Posts: 1,463
Re: DA*16-50 problem

Pentax SDM death. A infamous trait of Pentax DA* lenses, there are lots and lots of threads about it, one recent is this one:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=32988147

In that thread CANIKONTAXIAN recommended the following link for some tips on making it work again, cleaning contacts:
http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00Sqjr

-- hide signature --
shane gerrish
OP shane gerrish Veteran Member • Posts: 5,980

the SDM motor on mine still works [but slowly] but it just constantly moves from infinity to close focus without achieving focus confirmation... back and forth, back and forth, back and forth as long as you hold your finger on the button.
it takes about 2 seconds to go from one end to the other.

i tried the lens switch and different apertures, sometimes it would focus once only if i removed battery or removed and replaced lens then go back to not working.

you can't take a pic on S as it won't confirm.
you can't take a pic on C as it keeps moving trying to focus
it does work and confirms focus in the M position
it does the same on my K7 and K20D
my DA*50-135 works fine on the K7 and K20D
--
Shane,Gold Coast Aussie. Lens list in profile.
http://bigred4x4.blogspot.com/2008/01/welcome.html

shane gerrish's gear list:shane gerrish's gear list
Pentax K-1
Marbuel Contributing Member • Posts: 656
OMG, Yet another SDM failure.

If cleaning of contacts does not help .. than I would say ... send it for service!

So it is yet another SDM failure (YASF)! When did you buy the lens? This issue of SDM failing is really scary stuff. I just bought 50-135 and 16-50 and ... now I am just waiting for the first failure ... This is very very bad for Pentax!! Their "pro" line of lenses is a crap ... good optically but with terrible electronics! And ... response from Pentax ... silence! Great! It is the best way to kill good reputation ... Especially for a small company as Pentax this issue can be fatal!

Marek

dick eduard
dick eduard Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
Sorry to hear that shane it's a kind of flue and.....

if Pentax takes their users seriously and support their buyers they gives us
the easy and cheap and most wanted "Menu/firmware -update" for a start.
Now it's like a car with a sparetire welded to the chassis, when you go flat
it is there but you can't use it.
Loosing face if they do? I think they are loosing when they don't.

dick

Marbuel Contributing Member • Posts: 656
Re: Sorry to hear that shane it's a kind of flue and.....

Pentax is loosing face and what is even worse ... they loose customers! Their market share is low! They need people buying lenses, expensive lenses ... but all new high quality lenses are SDM! Imagine how happily people would be buying new lenses if customer reports were ... "SDM is great, fast and reliable!" instead we here ... "SDS sucks, slower and fails!".

Marek

dick eduard
dick eduard Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
Marek

I can understand that with new tech. developements there can be problems that's natural, But an quick and easy cure, for the time beiing, like the munu-option (screwdriver af) and then look further into the problem looks natural too. I asked for it since january 09. I hope they will see this too.

dick

Marbuel wrote:

Pentax is loosing face and what is even worse ... they loose customers! Their market share is low! They need people buying lenses, expensive lenses ... but all new high quality lenses are SDM! Imagine how happily people would be buying new lenses if customer reports were ... "SDM is great, fast and reliable!" instead we here ... "SDS sucks, slower and fails!".

Marek

gerard boulanger Senior Member • Posts: 2,262
Yes, I know....

That's what I've got with my 3 SDM lenses (I am the one with the 3 faulty SDM lenses...).

Based from what you described, you got the exact same issue I've got... Welcome to the club!
I returned my 3 glasses to Pentax and will sell them right after repair.

I am not here to spread my anger towards Pentax (even if I should...).

I belong to a photographic club (115 members) and I am one of the few with a Pentax (I think we are 3). There is no need to say that Pentax's image is not as strong as Nikon and Canon. I usually don't care about the market share of a brand name (Leica has a small one, Hasselblad, Mamiya too, etc...), but sometimes I am wondering why I bought a Pentax.

What bugs me are the comments from my club's members saying that the SDM from Pentax is not well built and they told me before...

Those comments + this forum threats are not adding anything good to Pentax. I guess Pentax gets what they deserve especially after the very poor quality of the service dept. in the US...

I rather stop there....

-- hide signature --

Shooting in JPEG is like taking your roll of film to the store to be processed, and when
you get your prints, throwing away the negatives...

gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
RobertBarnett Senior Member • Posts: 1,418
Re: OMG, Yet another SDM failure.

The big question is what do you do when your lens is out of warranty and the motor goes out yet again. If these lenses are this poor in the motor department then I really don't think sending them in for service is going to be of much help. Again, what happens when it breaks out of warranty? Unless Pentax states publically that they will either permanantly fix or continue to fix the lens for free forever I don't think I would trust it, repaired or not.

I think my 16-50 is going back for a refund. Shame, nice lens but if the motor can't be trusted then there is no point. Especially for what it costs.

Robert
--
Ketchup is just over loved tomatoes.

RobertBarnett's gear list:RobertBarnett's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye Epson WorkForce 1100
jeffster_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 636
The silence from...

... JohnCPenta-spin and Roland perfect Pentax world is amazing. Both will tell you nothings wrong, move along nothing to see here. Plus Ned is MIA for the most part so I would not expect much help there either.

Good luck and I hope someone can help you from the Pentax repair centers. (Whoever they might be this week)

Frederick Stewart Senior Member • Posts: 1,125
Re: The silence from...

To date i have not purchased a SDM lens,for the fear of failure.Only thing gained is silence,and that nag in the back of your mind.When ?

Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,396

jeffster_ca wrote:

... JohnCPenta-spin and Roland perfect Pentax world is amazing. Both will tell you nothings wrong, move along nothing to see here. Plus Ned is MIA for the most part so I would not expect much help there either.

In fairness, we should recognize that Pentax will not allow Ned and John to comment. The problem is in Pentax Japan.

Joe

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

Ned MIA, not a concern as he is just getting some sun. But Roland(!!!!) he has the title number one poster, where is he on this issue. Now I know for 99.5% sure he is some sort of employee of Pentax/Hoya if not he would be talking or in reality replying to every thread, he's not, what does that tell you?

BTW Roland its not a knock to you, in fact I credit you for this. You know I respect you; this goes for Ned as well.
--
jamesm007,
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z77/jamesm700/
WSSA member 266PX

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
opiecat Senior Member • Posts: 2,404
SDM means...

from various users:

Sometimes Doesn't Move
Seriously Defective Mechanism
Suddenly Dead Motor

and i'm sure there's more.

These reflect Pentax user's frustration with the SDM

i wanted to jump in and get the 16-50, but no sir. no SDM lens for me until this is addressed by pentax.

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,878

Yeah, for what I paid for my 16-50mm plus the out of warranty repair I could have gotten more reliable C or N lens. Eventually (If I stay with Pentax) I will buy a Sigma 50-150mm instead of the Pentax 50-135mm. Then I plan on sending a letter and a copy of the receipt to Pentax. This SDM thing is out of control. They need to redesign the SDM implementation and release a 16-50mm and 50-135 SDM II.

Pentax should be humiliated, I know I would be if I were selling the Yugo of lenses.

Vanadu Regular Member • Posts: 139

Sorry to hear that. I've had my lens from the first batch and it's working flawlessly, both optically and mechanically.

Robert Daley Senior Member • Posts: 1,339

"....Sorry to hear that. I've had my lens from the first batch and it's working flawlessly, both optically and mechanically....."

I almost hate to say this, and spoil all the fun, but my 16-50 and 50-135 are working flawlessly, too.

I just shot another under-the-lights high school football game with my 50-135...... and it's perfect.

Sorry guys.....

-- hide signature --

Bob

-----------------------------------------

'I don't know if we each have a destiny - or if we're just floating around accidental-like on a breeze. Maybe it's both. Maybe both are happening at the same time. I miss you Jenny. If you ever need anything, I won't be far away.' Forrest Gump

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,878

Robert Daley wrote:

"....Sorry to hear that. I've had my lens from the first batch and it's working flawlessly, both optically and mechanically....."

I almost hate to say this, and spoil all the fun, but my 16-50 and 50-135 are working flawlessly, too.

I just shot another under-the-lights high school football game with my 50-135...... and it's perfect.

Sorry guys.....

Just wait.

Mike V99 Regular Member • Posts: 109

Hope you had your fingers crossed when posting that. I thought mine were perfect too. Last week my 16-50 went out to Pentax Service dept and, while my 50-135 is still okay, I know it is just a matter of time before it's Sudden Death Motor will go tits-up. And of course, both are nicely just out of warranty.

Robert Daley wrote:

Sorry guys.....

-- hide signature --

Mike V.

opiecat Senior Member • Posts: 2,404

Robert Daley wrote:

Sorry guys.....

it's a hit-or-miss with SDM. some people have had their SDM lenses for slightly over a year, then BAM! SDM lens becomes manual or paper weight. some less than a year and the warranty comes into play.

maybe your copy will be better or might start giving you problems tomorrow. who knows? THAT is the problem.

i'm not saying that Sigma's HSM is perfect either, but at least, it's got 4 years warranty! Tamron's 6!

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads