Who uses FD lenses on their m4/3 camera?

Started Sep 10, 2009 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
BradJudy Forum Member • Posts: 82
Who uses FD lenses on their m4/3 camera?

I'm considering getting a m4/3 camera for my first step up from P&S on the digital side. I have a number of film cameras and my SLR stuff is all Canon FD mount (AE-1 and AT-1 cameras). I haven't selected a camera yet - the GF1, E-P1 and GH1 are all interesting to me, I expect that my daily lens will likely be something new that does AF and that any use of older lenses will be for photography fun.

I had heard bad things about adapters with optics in them, but then found a couple of posts here showing some very sharp pics with FD lenses on m4/3 cameras.

I've got some of the typical stuff - 50mm in both 1.8 and 1.4, 28/2.8, 135/3.5, 90/2.8 macro, 35-70, 70-210.

Let me know if it has worked well for you and where you got your adapter. Thanks.

Memerang Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: Who uses FD lenses on their m4/3 camera?

I am the opposite of you because i have the E-P1, and i just started my FD lens collection. Just won myself a Hoya 135mm f/2.8 and trying to win a Canon 28mm f/2.8 lens too. Also another friend managed to get me a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens, so my kit is quite robust.

I bought my adaptor from ebay, from this guy
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140333054923

Was recommended by one of the guys here, and still waiting for the adaptor to arrive.

Memerang's gear list:Memerang's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
BigBarney Senior Member • Posts: 2,722
FD lenses on a MFT body

BradJudy wrote:

Let me know if it has worked well for you and where you got your adapter. Thanks.

I have only just received my adapter so it is very early for me now. I bought a Novoflex MFT/CAN adapter. It was expensive but really well made. So far Ihave only used my Canon FD 50mm f1.8 SC lens on a Panasonic G1, hoping to make it a suitable portrait lens.

The jury is still out on the results in my hands.

My main reason for buying the adpter was that I already had these lenses gathering dust in a cupboard from my film SLR days and thought that it would be fun to recycle them.

The other lenses I am keen to try include Vivitar Series 1 zooms, a 500mm f8 mirror lens, and true macro lenses for some 1:1 images.

Diane B Forum Pro • Posts: 20,628

I've been shooting with FDs since February. I bought the Cameraquest/Rayqual adaptor (there are no optics in the m4/3rds adaptors) because it was the first. IF I would buy today, likely I would buy the RJ/jinfinance from ebay. I have his EOS to m4/3rds adaptor and its quite well made and correct.

I have a 50 f1/8 (only lens I kept from film days--just to sit on my old AE-1), bought 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2.8, 135 f/2.8 from KEH at great prices--trying to keep small and lightish. I've just added a 28 f/2.0 which I like very much. I also have a Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8. I believe that I tend to shoot with my MF lenses more than my m4/3rds lenses right now--mainly because I like faster lenses.

My FD gallery with G1 is here http://www.pbase.com/picnic/fd_gallery

I am adding the GF1 as second body and casual video--and 'casual' camera. If I were to only have one, it would be G1/GH1--especially for MF lenses.

Diane
--
Diane B
http://www.pbase.com/picnic
G1 gallery http://www.pbase.com/picnic/temp_g1

Diane B's gear list:Diane B's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Mingjai
Mingjai Senior Member • Posts: 1,349

I've been shooting with FD lenses and a Jinfinance adapter since late December. My favorite lenses are the 24/2 and the 50/1.4--they see as much use as any of my other lenses. I'm also a big fan of the Kiron 28/2 that I got for $20, but it often sits on the bench in favor of the 24/2.

It seems to me there's a different tone and color rendering provided by these lenses compared to the kits or ZD lenses that makes them very attractive. Focusing is not a problem in the G1 EVF--I rarely uses MF assist because it's usually quite obvious when something is in focus.

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
BradJudy OP Forum Member • Posts: 82
Sounds like good news

It's great to hear these success stories about FD lenses on m4/3 bodies. It's got me even more excited about a new camera. I guess the info I heard about lenses in adapters was for other body types.

It will be interesting to see what the 90mm macro is like with a 2x crop. That Vivitar already hits 1:1 on 35mm. Of course, it's a monster of a lens (not as bad as a 300+ telephoto, but big when extended and heavy).

I expect the 50/1.4 would make a nice portrait lens on a 2x crop.

There are some great FD bargains to be had, particularly in buying whole kits with bodies/lenses/bags/filters. Prices have been up a bit in the last month, but I previously bought multiple AE-1/AT-1 kits with lenses for $50 each.

madmaxmedia Senior Member • Posts: 1,600
No optics necessary for M 4/3 adapters

Just to clarify- the adapters for M 4/3 don't need any optics, because the M 4/3 flange-to-sensor distance is shorter than Canon FD or just about any format out there that you might want a converter for.

The problem with adapters come up when you want to go the other way around (like Canon FD to Canon EF, which has longer distance.)

So with M 4/3, the lens itself will perform essentially exactly the same, of course with a crop.

BradJudy wrote:

I had heard bad things about adapters with optics in them, but then found a couple of posts here showing some very sharp pics with FD lenses on m4/3 cameras.

-- hide signature --
 madmaxmedia's gear list:madmaxmedia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Re: No optics necessary for M 4/3 adapters

madmaxmedia wrote:

Just to clarify- the adapters for M 4/3 don't need any optics, because the M 4/3 flange-to-sensor distance is shorter than Canon FD or just about any format out there that you might want a converter for.

The problem with adapters come up when you want to go the other way around (like Canon FD to Canon EF, which has longer distance.)

So with M 4/3, the lens itself will perform essentially exactly the same, of course with a crop.

That's what I'm learning from this thread and it's good news for me. It cements the value of m4/3 for me. A ~$100 adapter allows me to use a half dozen decent lenses that I already own. Granted the crop factor changes the purpose of a couple of them, but it will still be fun to try out.

Phil Knall Regular Member • Posts: 320

You can find my experiences with FD lenses in this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=32906832

All in all, I'm very happy with them, I love the analog, "organic" feel they give photography on the E-P1, and I really enjoy the color rendering and bokeh more than the kit lenses!

I'm using the RJ (jinfinance) adapter, but given the choice now I would purchase one with a fixed aperture pin, as there are a lot of times when I forget to readjust it and end up shooting wide open unintentionally. (which of course is my own fault and not the adapter's, but I'd like to take as many error sources out of the equation as possible...)

Thanks for the post Phil.

Does your post mean that some of the adapters support adjusting the lens aperture and others do not? If so, I expect I'd want one that supports adjusting the aperture because I do this normally on those lenses and I'm used to it.

I guess I'll have to read up a bit more on the adapters.

Phil Knall Regular Member • Posts: 320

All of the adapters allow for aperture adjustment. However, the RJ Camera adapter has a movable pin that allows you to open up the aperture for focus, and then go right back to the aperture set without having to look at the numbers or counting clicks. It's handy, since focus is more easily achieved wide open (brighter, shallow DOF), but not 100% necessary and a distracting factor for me.

Thanks for the info. It looks like jinfinance also sells an M39 to m4/3 adapter. Not a priority for me, but I do have a Russian FED3 with the stock M39 lens and had considered keeping an eye out for more lenses for it.

Now I just have to choose a camera....

Thanks for all of the info and the gallery of sample pics - great stuff.

JBurnett Contributing Member • Posts: 832
RE: FD lenses

I'm using the adapter from Jinfinance with FD 24 f/2, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, and 135 f/2.8. The faster lenses (eg. f/2 or faster) can suffer a bit from halation wide open (lower contrast, looks a bit dreamy). This is pretty much gone by 1 stop down. Some CA noticed, particularly in the corners. Some quick examples (I realize you can't tell too much at this reduced size but large prints confirm the sharpness):

50mm @f/2

50mm @f5.6

85mm @f/2.8

-- hide signature --
 JBurnett's gear list:JBurnett's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +12 more
FredB Contributing Member • Posts: 828

I do and I cannot imagine life without them.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30939186@N04/

FredB's gear list:FredB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads