Polaroid back for X-700 anyone interested?

Started Jun 17, 2002 | Discussions
Greg Shapps Regular Member • Posts: 117
Polaroid back for X-700 anyone interested?

I have a Polaroid Back for my old X-700 that I had Custom Made by Polaroid years ago and I used it very very little. I had switched to Canons about a month after I had Polaroid make it for me. It is still in its original pouch from Polaroid and in perfect condition. Anyone have an idea of value on this or anyone have a need for it? Any help or idea would be great.

OP Greg Shapps Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Polaroid back for X-700 anyone interested?

Gregman wrote:

I have a Polaroid Back for my old X-700 that I had Custom Made by
Polaroid years ago and I used it very very little. I had
switched to Canons about a month after I had Polaroid make it for
me. It is still in its original pouch from Polaroid and in
perfect condition. Anyone have an idea of value on this or anyone
have a need for it? Any help or idea would be great.

ledeluge New Member • Posts: 1

Hey I know that this is a very old Post and I see that you haven't posted in 4 years and I'm kinda shooting in the dark but I would be interested in purchasing this Polaroid film back. If you are not interested in selling or have already gotten rid of it I'd like to just ask to see it to see how it was made in hopes of being able to 3d print my own. Hopefully I hear back from you soon, thank you very much.

neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,162

Polaroid backs for Minolta 9000AF are sometimes to be found , I have one .

While it's not compatible with the X700 you could obtain one and use it for parts to graft onto an x700 back .

The main thing to take into account is that there is a glass plate type thing that goes from the film plane of the camera to reach further back to where the Polaroid film is .

IIRC it is made out of fibre-optics .

I take it you realise that the image is still only the same size as on 35mm film , and not magnified to fill the whole sheet of Polaroid ?

Hardly any use at all and was only used to check Exposure and lighting before loading a roll of film for a photo shoot .

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +44 more
PDX700
PDX700 New Member • Posts: 17

neilt3 wrote:

I take it you realise that the image is still only the same size as on 35mm film , and not magnified to fill the whole sheet of Polaroid ?

Hardly any use at all and was only used to check Exposure and lighting before loading a roll of film for a photo shoot .

It explains the reason that it wasn't marketable. Thank you.

neilt3

PDX700 wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

It explains the reason that it wasn't marketable. Thank you.

They were on the market for many professional 35mm SLRs .

It's the same as Polaroid backs for medium and large format . A shot was taken to check the lighting on studio setups and then discarded before the valuable film was loaded into the camera for the proper shoot .

Now people want the Polaroid backs on medium format as the final image so they don't have to have film developed .

Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +44 more
RDMPhotos
RDMPhotos Regular Member • Posts: 238

neilt3 wrote:

While it's not compatible with the X700 you could obtain one and use it for parts to graft onto an x700 back .

I too agree with you about it hardly being useful, to have the 9000AF type back that produces a 24mm x 36mm image, which is the frame size of a 35mm negative.

However, if someone were to go through the trouble of grafting a polaroid back to an x700 camera back, I would do it using the Mikami Speed Magny 100-2 Polaroid Back for the Nikon F2, which is quite RARE. that would magnify the image to cover the whole polaroid print.

The 1st time I saw the back was 20 years ago while was searching on eBay and I thought about how nice it would be to have this for my cameras (x370 & x9) when I was using the school's studio (at My college, I was in the photography program). but I distinctly remember it costing just under $400 with shipping. That was too rich for me at the time. Now, after seeing this resurrected thread pop up, and remembering about this particular back, I did a quick search again and I see it selling for $1.5k on the auction site. WOW.... inflation is a b!tc#.  This is it:

However, doing a Google search for this back Yeildded something new and very interesting. Wich may be a better option for ledeluge and others wanting the same capability. Its called the "Instant Magny 35" . Yes, it is expensive at about $255.50 USD, but way less than $1,500USD. However, once again they don't make it for a Minolta and one would have to do the grafting thing, but it would be very useful.

-- hide signature --

Dan

RDMPhotos's gear list:RDMPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
neilt3

RDMPhotos wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

I too agree with you about it hardly being useful, to have the 9000AF type back that produces a 24mm x 36mm image, which is the frame size of a 35mm negative.

However, if someone were to go through the trouble of grafting a polaroid back to an x700 camera back, I would do it using the Mikami Speed Magny 100-2 Polaroid Back for the Nikon F2, which is quite RARE. that would magnify the image to cover the whole polaroid print.

The 1st time I saw the back was 20 years ago while was searching on eBay and I thought about how nice it would be to have this for my cameras (x370 & x9) when I was using the school's studio (at My college, I was in the photography program). but I distinctly remember it costing just under $400 with shipping. That was too rich for me at the time. Now, after seeing this resurrected thread pop up, and remembering about this particular back, I did a quick search again and I see it selling for $1.5k on the auction site. WOW.... inflation is a b!tc#. This is it:

However, doing a Google search for this back Yeildded something new and very interesting. Wich may be a better option for ledeluge and others wanting the same capability. Its called the "Instant Magny 35" . Yes, it is expensive at about $255.50 USD, but way less than $1,500USD. However, once again they don't make it for a Minolta and one would have to do the grafting thing, but it would be very useful.

The one you link to is an interesting piece of kit .

Presumably extra exposure is needed to take care of the light loss in expanding the projected image , the prisms/mirrors used and any optics ?

At £205 it is a little bit tempting .

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,707

neilt3 wrote:

RDMPhotos wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

The 1st time I saw the back was 20 years ago while was searching on eBay and I thought about how nice it would be to have this for my cameras (x370 & x9) when I was using the school's studio (at My college, I was in the photography program). but I distinctly remember it costing just under $400 with shipping. That was too rich for me at the time. Now, after seeing this resurrected thread pop up, and remembering about this particular back, I did a quick search again and I see it selling for $1.5k on the auction site. WOW.... inflation is a b!tc#. This is it:

Presumably extra exposure is needed to take care of the light loss in expanding the projected image , the prisms/mirrors used and any optics ?

Looks very cool

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 15,668

This is one I had not seen before, the Nikon Preview. A polaroid back that takes Nikon lenses

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/special/Nikon_PREVIEW/index.htm

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,707

FrancoD wrote:

This is one I had not seen before, the Nikon Preview. A polaroid back that takes Nikon lenses

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/special/Nikon_PREVIEW/index.htm

I’ve never seen that.  I’ll read about it.

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

RDMPhotos
RDMPhotos Regular Member • Posts: 238

neilt3 wrote:

RDMPhotos wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Actually, if I remember correctly,  the answer to that extra exposure was taken care of by the fast Polaroid pack film. I recall a chart for what polaroid film to load, that corresponds with the neg. film ASA used.

-- hide signature --

Dan

RDMPhotos's gear list:RDMPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
neilt3

RDMPhotos wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

RDMPhotos wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Actually, if I remember correctly, the answer to that extra exposure was taken care of by the fast Polaroid pack film. I recall a chart for what polaroid film to load, that corresponds with the neg. film ASA used.

That would make sense .

I wasn't aware that there was several speeds in a given format .

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 15,668

It was called type 100.

I remember type 665 (80 ASA) and type 667 (3000 ASA) . There was a type 55 (50 ASA) that had a neg as well as a positive. Can't remember if there were other types.

Later......

oh, yes, lots of them.. I found a list :

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Polaroid_instant_film

under Pack Film.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads