Focus & Recompose K7 Owers

Started Sep 4, 2009 | Discussions
mgerpe
mgerpe Regular Member • Posts: 269
Focus & Recompose K7 Owers

Quick question for K7 Owners, for the majority of the portraits I take I have my subject in the center, focus (shutter down half way) then recompose the subject to the side of the frame. Lately the subject has been out of focus when i recompose to the side. I have tired AF-S & AF- C

Is the AF trying to refocus when i recompose? any advice? thanks everyone.

I was gonna manually move the AF point to the left or right but i couldn't imagine doing this every-time i wanted to shoot this way.

magomago Regular Member • Posts: 214
Re: Focus & Recompose K7 Owers

Is your DOF adequate enough? Are you recomposing translationally, or are you introducing pivots into it as well? I honestly dont know how people can do that...i pick my Focus Point every time lol.

mgerpe wrote:

Quick question for K7 Owners, for the majority of the portraits I take I have my subject in the center, focus (shutter down half way) then recompose the subject to the side of the frame. Lately the subject has been out of focus when i recompose to the side. I have tired AF-S & AF- C

Is the AF trying to refocus when i recompose? any advice? thanks everyone.

I was gonna manually move the AF point to the left or right but i couldn't imagine doing this every-time i wanted to shoot this way.

joseluismx Contributing Member • Posts: 669

As magomago said, I always select the appropriate focus point when doing off-center portraits with limited DOF.

IMHO, recomposing with a small DOF will most likely give you unwanted results ( http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm ), even though some say it shouldn't affect ( http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/focus_recompose.html )

I've found that the (7?) center focus points on my K100D work very well, it's the extreme left and right focus points that don't usually work.

joseluismx's gear list:joseluismx's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Nikon D750 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +9 more
mgerpe
OP mgerpe Regular Member • Posts: 269

Thanks guys, good article as well.

Ill try those methods this weekend,

enjoy the holiday.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads