New DP1s (successor to DP1) will be in store Nov 09

Started Sep 4, 2009 | Discussions
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,432
Re: My guess

Fortunately Sigma knows better than to take the hot shoe that would make the camera unusable with a optional OVF and rely only on the LCd
that's clearly not the target of a camera which offers so many manuals controls
the external OVF is one of the asset of the camera
Harold
--
http://www.harold-glit.com
http://www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
bcc1955 Regular Member • Posts: 410

Hi Harold,

Your right! That is only my personal preference. I don't do flash photography and I don't use a OVF (inspite of owning a Voitlander), because I like observing the Ap, S, focus lock, and metering as the shoot is taken. I want the smallest possible camera with high IQ. I would also loose the microphone and video, the USB out/video out and the cheapo rubber door, and read all the photo data with a USB card reader. I think you could start to make it more reasonably pocketable. I actually do pocket my DP1 on occasion now. But your right most people would not like those changes. I am sure you have nothing to worry about

Harold66 wrote:

Fortunately Sigma knows better than to take the hot shoe that would make the camera unusable with a optional OVF and rely only on the LCd
that's clearly not the target of a camera which offers so many manuals controls
the external OVF is one of the asset of the camera
Harold
--
http://www.harold-glit.com
http://www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,393

bcc1955 wrote:

My wish list:

Its to late for wish lists - al we can do is guess lists.

I see four possible scenarios

A. There is no DP1s coming, or the DP1s is the DP1 - same thing.
B. The DP1s only has an updated IR filter - at least what anyone can see.
C. The DP1s is (almost) a DP2 with the lens from DP1.
D. There is more!

Now - I would guess B or C.

You seem to wish for D. That I find highly unlikely.

7. reduce size of camera by omitting flash and hot shoe (just dreaming).

Without the hot shoe the camera drops in value drastically. I would rather see a lens with a thread. But that is a too big change for DP1s.

-- hide signature --
 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
bcc1955 Regular Member • Posts: 410

It sure seems like A and B are very unlikely. The price is down to get rid of stock and it is unlikely they are making much money on the DP1 at this price. With everyone complaining about the slow processor that bit has to be changed. And why would they make the small body changes to the DP2 and then not pass that on to the DP1 (unless there are hard times and a manufacturing problem)? It could very likely be a 28mm DP2. But technology moves fast. Why stick with a 230K screen in today's world? I kind of feel like Sigma can not rest on it laurels and needs to make improvements, and these are not difficult improvements to make. They also appear to get sales from Sigma fans swapping to the latest version if there are more significant improvements.

Roland Karlsson wrote:

bcc1955 wrote:

My wish list:

Its to late for wish lists - al we can do is guess lists.

I see four possible scenarios

A. There is no DP1s coming, or the DP1s is the DP1 - same thing.
B. The DP1s only has an updated IR filter - at least what anyone can see.
C. The DP1s is (almost) a DP2 with the lens from DP1.
D. There is more!

Now - I would guess B or C.

You seem to wish for D. That I find highly unlikely.

7. reduce size of camera by omitting flash and hot shoe (just dreaming).

Without the hot shoe the camera drops in value drastically. I would rather see a lens with a thread. But that is a too big change for DP1s.

Donald Ferguson Contributing Member • Posts: 809

It appears what the future looks like is next the DP3 then the DP2s then the DP4 and then the DP3s. I hope I'm wrong but until it all plays out my money stays in my pocket.

I think Solang has the most intelligent thoughts on this of all. I also think that Sigma dslr's may be a thing of the past seeing how the DP1s seems to have taken priority over the SD15.
Don

captcha Regular Member • Posts: 226
Good move

It'd be sensible to update the DP1, with the TRUE II engine, the IR & speed improvements of the DP2.

It would also be good to use the DP2 body with its QuickSet button.

That way, one set of accessories could be used interchangeably on the two cameras, but Sigma may prefer to keep two lines of accessories from a business point of view.

There would be very few people (if any) with a DP1 who would also buy a DP1s and keep both.

A nice option would be to offer customers an upgrade plan, allow to give in the DP1 to up it for a DP1s.

SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

Donald Ferguson wrote:

It appears what the future looks like is next the DP3 then the DP2s then the DP4 and then the DP3s. I hope I'm wrong but until it all plays out my money stays in my pocket.

I think Solang has the most intelligent thoughts on this of all. I also think that Sigma dslr's may be a thing of the past seeing how the DP1s seems to have taken priority over the SD15.

two recent threads on the upcoming SD15
pre-order link (Norwegian merchant)
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=33029395
Sigma Germany announcement of SD15+ lens as contest prize
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=32971904

I don't think Sigma DSLR's are a "thing of the past"

Best regards, Sandy
sfleischmann@gilder.com
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +7 more
Re: Good move

captcha wrote:

A nice option would be to offer customers an upgrade plan, allow to give in the DP1 to up it for a DP1s.

I really dislike that kind of "plans".

You own a fully functional gadget A - and will get gadget B for 10% less money if you get rid of gadget A. WOW! Brilliant!

-- hide signature --
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more

Well, it doesn't have to be an expensive upgrade, it could mean a $100-$150 upgrade.

I certainly won't be buying two DP1 cameras, I have a DP1, but I'd much rather have the updated model. So my choices are to sell the camera or go for an upgrade, which Sigma should be able to provide at a reasonable cost.

In fact, my camera is with Sigma for a serious banding problem, and if they can give me the DP1s, I'd much rather have that. I can't say if others would prefer an upgrade but, if the option is there, it might be useful to some of us.

In fact, the body doesn't appear to be changing, and it seems like it's only the processing engine that will be updated. But I'm not sure what is involved in complexity and costs for updating the processing engine, anyone?

SaltandPepper Regular Member • Posts: 129

DP1s' lens will be 2.8? Niiiiiiiiiiice

captcha wrote:

Well, it doesn't have to be an expensive upgrade, it could mean a $100-$150 upgrade.

And how should Sigma finance that?

-- hide signature --

I think sigma should seiously be looking at offering an upgrade or trade in policy.
What else is their option?

There are only so many people who are interested in the DP series of cameras and most own an original DP1. The options would be,
1, offer an exchange to upgrade at reasonable cost.
2,make an upgrade available for the original DP1

3, run the risk of loosing customers by doing nothing and expecting original DP1 owners to purchase the DP1s and try to flog their original DP1 at their expense.

Number three doesn't seem to be a very sound buisness decision in my opinion as I think most will just decide to keep the original in a not very impressed frame of mind.
Don

Donald Ferguson wrote:

I think sigma should seiously be looking at offering an upgrade or trade in policy.
What else is their option?

If the new DP1s have to be sold at say $650 to pay its costs ... then how can it be sold for say $150 if you throw away your DP1? Who is going to pay the missing $500?

Trade in is just a rebate - its not magic.

-- hide signature --

I would say sigma if they want to protect their customer base.
I hope they have something uo their sleeve.
Don

Donald Ferguson wrote:

I would say sigma if they want to protect their customer base.
I hope they have something uo their sleeve.

You live in a fantasy world

-- hide signature --
Re: Roland

It is very easy for someone who has no investment in these cameras to pass judgement on others. Once an investment is made however your opinion may change.
Don

Where did you get that from???
But it would be nice

Imaging engine cost?

If it's within $150, I think it would be paid by the customer and the service to be provided by Sigma for free.

How much does it cost to update the image processing engine?

Margins on a DP1s

Why should the the DP1s be priced at $650, just because DP2 is or was? What is the actual cost of the DP1s to the company, can't it shave its profits with the customer on the upgrade?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads