New DP1s (successor to DP1) will be in store Nov 09

Started Sep 4, 2009 | Discussions
burkm Regular Member • Posts: 394
New DP1s (successor to DP1) will be in store Nov 09

German audio video photo magazine and rumors say, that (at least in Germany) the successor to the DP1, the DP1s, will arrive in stores around the country Nov 09, ready for Christmas shopping. No sales price given yet...

MTornqvist Regular Member • Posts: 104
Re: New DP1s (successor to DP1) will be in store Nov 09

burkm wrote:

German audio video photo magazine and rumors say, that (at least in Germany) the successor to the DP1, the DP1s, will arrive in stores around the country Nov 09, ready for Christmas shopping. No sales price given yet...

Hmmm. Sounds a bit like a wild rumor.

But on the other hand I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be true. I'd expect the list price (and upgrades, keeping the lens) to be the same as the DP2.

ToasterFlyer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,331

I look fwd to the new DP1 :-)...been holding off..

As well as looking fwd to the new SD15.

Rich
ny

OP burkm Regular Member • Posts: 394

The German magazine Computerbild had it in its official news lineup ...

Tulaev Senior Member • Posts: 1,226
Link to the magazine site
 Tulaev's gear list:Tulaev's gear list
Sony RX1
Maxime B Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: Link to the magazine site

If the camera itself remain the same, I fail to see the point.
What ameliorations could we expect ? The same "ameliorations" that the DP2 ?
Almost usable ISO 400, little faster processing time and new colors management ?

Not sure it would worth the upgrade, especially given current original DP1 price...
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maximebrousse/

Gene Hack Senior Member • Posts: 1,011
scottish mentality

same design.
same body.
porbably same innards.

You pay for a different IR filter, that makes the cameras colors even more boring and neutral, instead of filmlike and powerful.

still no VIDEO, shame on You SIGMA/Foveon.

my hope is dead.

Tulaev Senior Member • Posts: 1,226
Re: scottish mentality

I think there is no any specific information...
--
Igor Tulaev
St.Petersburg, Russia

Tulaev's gear list:Tulaev's gear list
Sony RX1
sebatlh Regular Member • Posts: 127

Seems like the logical thing to do.

The DP1s will probably be a DP2 but with the DP1 lens.
That way everything except the lens is the same -> cheaper manufacturing.

I'm just guessing of course, but it is what I would do...

stanislaw stitchanow Senior Member • Posts: 1,956
This is official announcement from Sigma Germany

as the text is marked as advertisement not as editorial text.

So the anouncement is official as no one else than Sigma German will make such an advertisement
--
Greetings from Turkmenistan
Stanislaw

I need the light

• to explore the surrounding darkness

Pjotr Panoramov

http://www.panodrom.com
Gigapixel Panoramas and more

solsang
solsang Senior Member • Posts: 1,217
Re: This is official announcement from Sigma Germany

even then it is quite strange that the zoom buttons should be kept in the same way after they changed the layout on the dp2, i would assume they try to make the cameras have the same interface, it is annoying enough shifting between the dp1 and dp2 as is!
--

Essential guide for DP1/DP2 collected from the sigma forum:
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dfn7v4dm_105fdr8sdhq

solsang's gear list:solsang's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XQ2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Samyang 85mm F1.8 ED UMC CS +9 more
OP burkm Regular Member • Posts: 394
Re: This is official announcement from Sigma Germany

Seems like the DPx development teams(s) at Sigma are encapsulated (and isolated) in their own universe, so not ever been connected to real live (competition and user needs / wishes).

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,895
Video? These cameras aren't about video, like some normal P&S. Get a Flip. (nt)

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,333

Maxime B wrote:

If the camera itself remain the same, I fail to see the point.

The point is to make the DP1 better. It is not so clever to make a new batch of DP1 keeping the mistakes. So - they make some improvements - adds an s - and sells it. Sounds like a good plan to me.

But - of course - it is still not clear if it is true.

-- hide signature --
 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
bluewonder New Member • Posts: 24

i get the dp1 right now for 260 euro.
how much will the dp1s be?

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,333

bluewonder wrote:

i get the dp1 right now for 260 euro.
how much will the dp1s be?

It will be more of course.

But - you will be able to use it even when a bright light is in the frame.

Hopefully no red grid reflexes from the IR filter.

-- hide signature --
 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,419

My guess would be that they would do that to have a more updated product to compete with the Ricoh Grd3 and the Leica X1
I guess they may bring a 2.8 max aperture with the 28 equivalent instead of 4Pm

also one can only hope that they would invest 2USD to have the functions marked white on black instead of black on black

such a stupid detail that shows a lack of thinking in terms of design and everyday use
Harold
--
http://www.harold-glit.com
http://www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,419
That being said

I don't think it will sell a lot until sigma manages to :

include a DNG raw file in their . who wants to bother with the most closed standard in the industry

get more resolution we don't need a lot more but a TRUE 8 to 10 MP foveon sensor should be feasible
a decent buffer on the camera
Harold
--
http://www.harold-glit.com
http://www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
anotherrich Regular Member • Posts: 445

Here's a Google(d) translation:

Sigma DP1s: A compact for themselves

The Sigma DP1 camera offered the first performance of a digital SLR camera in a small package. Now comes the improved Sigma DP1s.

Thanks to an excellent lens and the unique Foveon X3 Direktbildsensor Sigma DP1s the OMPETITOR is qualitatively far behind.

Compactness is usually a compromise between form and function: the compact car offers little space, the compact magazine renounces content, relatively compact camera provides picture quality worse - that they are anything but practical than their large counterparts and fit better into parking spot, hand or pocket .

Camera as a pioneer: Sigma DP1

At least in the photo area you can, thanks to Sigma for a while too happy to be a bit uncompromising: In March 2008, the Sigma DP1 came on the market - a digital camera, although one in weight and dimensions for compact cars, but thanks to the excellent lens and the unique Foveon -X3-Direktbildsensor quality is far behind. Sigma DP1s provides reliable automatic modes for quick snapshots.
Improved successor: Sigma DP1s

Even when improved successor model DP1s Sigma manages the perfect blend of practical and precise: Of course, the camera provides reliable automatic modes for quick snapshots. Anyone who has met the black piece of jewelry but once and appreciate the DP1s preferably operated in manual mode, classically with selectable aperture and shutter speed. For only the renunciation of the automated Knips comfort, admitting their own individuality and intuition is the photograph to return to its fundamental principle: the capture of the truth.

anotherrich's gear list:anotherrich's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 +3 more
Tariq Senior Member • Posts: 1,529

Wow, the text states nothing new yet takes up so much space! It sure would be nice to hear of specific improvements backed up by numbers.

anotherrich wrote:

Here's a Google(d) translation:

Sigma DP1s: A compact for themselves

The Sigma DP1 camera offered the first performance of a digital SLR camera in a small package. Now comes the improved Sigma DP1s.

Thanks to an excellent lens and the unique Foveon X3 Direktbildsensor Sigma DP1s the OMPETITOR is qualitatively far behind.

Compactness is usually a compromise between form and function: the compact car offers little space, the compact magazine renounces content, relatively compact camera provides picture quality worse - that they are anything but practical than their large counterparts and fit better into parking spot, hand or pocket .

Camera as a pioneer: Sigma DP1

At least in the photo area you can, thanks to Sigma for a while too happy to be a bit uncompromising: In March 2008, the Sigma DP1 came on the market - a digital camera, although one in weight and dimensions for compact cars, but thanks to the excellent lens and the unique Foveon -X3-Direktbildsensor quality is far behind. Sigma DP1s provides reliable automatic modes for quick snapshots.
Improved successor: Sigma DP1s

Even when improved successor model DP1s Sigma manages the perfect blend of practical and precise: Of course, the camera provides reliable automatic modes for quick snapshots. Anyone who has met the black piece of jewelry but once and appreciate the DP1s preferably operated in manual mode, classically with selectable aperture and shutter speed. For only the renunciation of the automated Knips comfort, admitting their own individuality and intuition is the photograph to return to its fundamental principle: the capture of the truth.

Tariq's gear list:Tariq's gear list
Sony a7R Sigma sd Quattro H +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads