Is Pentax at IFA

Started Sep 2, 2009 | Discussions
johnny_rico Contributing Member • Posts: 839
Is Pentax at IFA

I did a search of the IFA site and couldn't find Pentax as an exhibitor! Does this mean no K20D replacement in the near future?

sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,442
Re: Is Pentax at IFA

johnny_rico wrote:

I did a search of the IFA site and couldn't find Pentax as an exhibitor!

They are not there.

Does this mean no K20D replacement in the near future?

Um, the K-7?
--
Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462

It is official from Pentax that the K20D will not be replaced.
The K-7 aims at a higher market segment than the K20D.

Pentax are working on a K200D replacement, not K20D replacement, and this will be a sort of "baby K-7" to be released later this year - in time for the winter shopping.

-- hide signature --
AlbertSiegel
AlbertSiegel Contributing Member • Posts: 584

A bit sad as I like the K20D far more than I do the K7. The K20D size and layout is as near to perfect (IMO) as I can imagine. I really do not at all like the changes to the layout and interface on the K7. The lack of a SR switch was the deal killer for me. The K7 feels more like an enhanced K-m than a upgrade to the K20D in my opinion and I have no plans to buy the K7 at all due to the interface.

Roland Mabo wrote:

Pentax are working on a K200D replacement, not K20D replacement, and this will be a sort of "baby K-7" to be released later this year - in time for the winter shopping.

AlbertSiegel's gear list:AlbertSiegel's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-G1 Pentax Optio LS465 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S2 Pentax K-01 +31 more
asahi man Contributing Member • Posts: 988

Sorry,thats wrong.
No K200 replacement this year.
Only a much improved replacement for the Km.

Roland Mabo wrote:

Sam Ven Regular Member • Posts: 215

Update on new lenses @IFA or preIFA?

Roland Mabo wrote:

-- hide signature --

-Nikon FA, 50:1.4
-Pentax K10d, DA21, DA40, A 50:1.7, 55:1.2, 18-200, 28mm Sigma
-Lumix FZ5
'The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote'

Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462

The K-7 is way faster than the K20D with better autofocus in low light, the K-7 also has much better auto white balance, ambient light metering and P-TTL flash metering. The SR system is more secure, the anti dust function much improved, the viewfinder has 100% coverage, the body is of higher quality, the sealings now also works in cold climate, the back LCD is much improved, and the feature set is richer and extended compared to the K-20. Faster shutter, faster continous shooting and so on. So I fail to see how the K-7 is not a more advanced and much improved camera in all areas compared to the K20D.

User interface of the K-7 is very smilar to the K20D, just a few buttons that got new places to be more ergonomical friendly, and since most people never found out that they could press the OK-button plus front dial to change ISO, the K-7 now has a separate ISO button. Other than that, the K-7 is very similar.

Oh, the K-7 has some surprises to info-mode in Playback, it is a fast and easy way to change many parameters without digging deep in the menues and it is graphically more friendly to the eye than the standard menu. This is one of the K-7's many hidden gems to the user interface.

-- hide signature --
magomago Regular Member • Posts: 214

I don't see why the SR switch should matter. I think it makes sense to bury it in the menu. Who wants to constantly turn it on and off? I rarely turned it off on my K100 (only did it when I was doing tripod work) so it always felt like a stray switch sitting there.

Can you actually explain this to me? I don't get the rationale...

AlbertSiegel wrote:

A bit sad as I like the K20D far more than I do the K7. The K20D size and layout is as near to perfect (IMO) as I can imagine. I really do not at all like the changes to the layout and interface on the K7. The lack of a SR switch was the deal killer for me. The K7 feels more like an enhanced K-m than a upgrade to the K20D in my opinion and I have no plans to buy the K7 at all due to the interface.

Roland Mabo wrote:

Leuf Senior Member • Posts: 1,131

With older lenses it is always asking you to input the focal length when you turn it on, and with a zoom you can never get it right unless you change it every shot. If you're changing lenses you can easily end up with it set to the wrong focal length if you aren't thinking about it. So I prefer to leave it off and turn it on when I actually need it. So I was sad to see the SR switch go as well, but it's actually very easy to turn it on and off through the info button, this shouldn't be something you don't get the camera because of. The info button remembers which setting you were changing last, so all you have to do is press info, turn one of the dials one click, and press info again.

mnovikov Regular Member • Posts: 441

I was suspicious of the interface changes too, but after playing with K-7 just for couple days I've realized it's much better and now going to K20D feels much more clumsy. Shake reduction with many other functions is easily accessible bypressing the INFO button. IMO, once you get used to the idea, it was not a bad choice: how many times do you really need to turn it on and off on a typical shooting session? On the other hand, ISO is a conveniently placed button I can activate without taking the eye from the VF. A good trade-off, IMO.

I can't tell you how much happier I am with K-7. The pure physical pleasure of shooting is much more with it than with K20D.

Pete Dee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,759

Roland Mabo wrote:

The K-7 is way faster than the K20D with better autofocus in low light, the K-7 also has much better auto white balance, ambient light metering and P-TTL flash metering. The SR system is more secure, the anti dust function much improved, the viewfinder has 100% coverage, the body is of higher quality, the sealings now also works in cold climate, the back LCD is much improved, and the feature set is richer and extended compared to the K-20. Faster shutter, faster continous shooting and so on. So I fail to see how the K-7 is not a more advanced and much improved camera in all areas compared to the K20D.

User interface of the K-7 is very smilar to the K20D, just a few buttons that got new places to be more ergonomical friendly, and since most people never found out that they could press the OK-button plus front dial to change ISO, the K-7 now has a separate ISO button. Other than that, the K-7 is very similar.

Oh, the K-7 has some surprises to info-mode in Playback, it is a fast and easy way to change many parameters without digging deep in the menues and it is graphically more friendly to the eye than the standard menu. This is one of the K-7's many hidden gems to the user interface.

Have to agree with everything you have said Roland, it is a superior camera in every way.

Pete

Pete Dee's gear list:Pete Dee's gear list
Pentax Optio W80 Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 40mm F2.8 Limited HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +4 more
neworleanian Forum Member • Posts: 77

agree 100%

neworleanian's gear list:neworleanian's gear list
Pentax K-1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads