HDr with LR/Enfuse

Started Aug 25, 2009 | Discussions
headmj Contributing Member • Posts: 609
HDr with LR/Enfuse

The photos below were produced using LR/Enfuse and then touched up in photoshop. This program did a really wonderful job of combining three exposures spaced about 2 stops apart. The scene was fairly contrasty as I was in a creek bottom with the sun coming almost straight in through the trees. It worked more quickly than the PS HDR routine and did a better job. It uses an entirely different algorithm and refers to the process as blending. Enfuse is an open source project and the the Lightroom plugin was written by Timothy Ames at this URL

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrenfuse.php

Please let me know what you think and your experiences if you try it.

Regards

Mike

MikeChip
MikeChip Senior Member • Posts: 2,577
Re: HDr with LR/Enfuse

It sure did a good job with those shots, they to me look pretty much as the eye would see the scene.

Mike

OP headmj Contributing Member • Posts: 609

MikeChip wrote:

It sure did a good job with those shots, they to me look pretty much as the eye would see the scene.

Mike

That is exactly my impression Mike. It seems to be a much more realistic rendering than some of the HDR/Tone mapping software output. The kicker here is that the software is almost free! I made a donation to Timothy's site and will donate to the Enfuse project when I get back to work.

You can use seperate images produced from the same raw file as well as seperate photos like I used. I will try some of that and post some results. I have a photo in mind.

Regards

Mike

Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,332

Mike,

thanks for the info and the link. I think both images were excellent and what i would look for in an HDR. Since i use LR a lot, this is sort of a non-brainer.

I'll write back on this thread once i find something to use with this software
--
Phil B
K20D, K10D

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +3 more

Philnw2 wrote:

Mike,

thanks for the info and the link. I think both images were excellent and what i would look for in an HDR. Since i use LR a lot, this is sort of a non-brainer.

I'll write back on this thread once i find something to use with this software
--
Phil B
K20D, K10D

The other interesting thing is that you don't need LR. You can run Enfuse from droplets or a command line.
Mike

mhc_99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,323

I agree with the others. I'm not a fan of hdr but these look really good!

Marion

mhc_99 wrote:

I agree with the others. I'm not a fan of hdr but these look really good!

Marion

Thanks Marion! I will be experimenting with some of the options in teh software over the next few days and will try to let everyone know.

Mike

Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,830
Photomatix v. Enfuse compared

headmj wrote:

The photos below were produced using LR/Enfuse and then touched up in photoshop.

Thank you Mike. I was sufficiently impressed to want to have a go myself, with a stack of 9 images which I'd previously processed using Photomatix.

I downloaded EnfuseGUI 2.0, it's a nice Windows front end and comes with Enfuse embedded. Quick and easy to install (I am running Windows 7 in a virtual machine).

http://software.bergmark.com/enfuseGUI/

Here are three images processed from the same stack. First with Photomatix then with Enfuse, and finally Enfuse with additional post processing in Photoshop where I applied some local contrast enhancement to give it a slight 'HDR' look. I did this with the USM filter, using a small amount + large radius (approx 14/80).

Photomatix has pulled a lot more detail in the foreground. However one shouldn't don't draw any firm conclusions because Enfuse was on its default settings, whereas I spent a while tweaking the parameters in Photomatix.

Photomatix, tweaked settings

Enfuse, default settings

Enfuse as above plus Photoshop tweaks

-- hide signature --
Ishpuini Veteran Member • Posts: 6,236

Thanks for posting these great examples.

I'm a fan of the LR/Enfuse plugin as well. I mostly use it in my B&W conversion process to enable detail in all parts of the images. After I apply contrast to return to a more normal look.

Note that Enfuse doesn't do HDR accrording to its strict definition but uses an alternative algorithm called enfusion to achieve a similar end result.

I prefer Enfuse since it produces results out-of-the-box that can I can work on in Lightroom. Most HDR software requires too much work for me to get to a result that looks as I want them...

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Ricoh Theta S Ricoh GR III Pentax Q Pentax K-3 II Pentax Q-S1 +21 more
godfrog Senior Member • Posts: 1,463

I agree about LR/Enfuse, and I given a donation to the creator as well. The images just look a lot better to my eye, they dont have that over-the-top tonemapped look that most software produces, and it does not require as much tweaking as most programs.

It also plugs straight into Lightroom, and further editing is easily done after enfusing to a 16-bit TIFF file.

-- hide signature --
Gio 645
Gio 645 Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
Tag n/t
-- hide signature --

Giorgos

Gio 645's gear list:Gio 645's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM
Henrik Melander Contributing Member • Posts: 543

Thnx for the link, I have tried photomatix and other software and hated the outcome from them all. This might be what im looking for

Re: Photomatix v. Enfuse compared

Thank you Mike. I was sufficiently impressed to want to have a go myself, with a stack of 9 images which I'd previously processed using Photomatix.

A very impressive turn out from both programs. You have learned Photomatrix well.

I downloaded EnfuseGUI 2.0, it's a nice Windows front end and comes with Enfuse embedded. Quick and easy to install (I am running Windows 7 in a virtual machine).

http://software.bergmark.com/enfuseGUI/

This will be great for folks that don't run LR.

Here are three images processed from the same stack. First with Photomatix then with Enfuse, and finally Enfuse with additional post processing in Photoshop where I applied some local contrast enhancement to give it a slight 'HDR' look. I did this with the USM filter, using a small amount + large radius (approx 14/80).

Photomatix has pulled a lot more detail in the foreground. However one shouldn't don't draw any firm conclusions because Enfuse was on its default settings, whereas I spent a while tweaking the parameters in Photomatix.

Enfuse as above plus Photoshop tweaks

I too find that a general increase in contrast is necessary after producing the Enfused image as it tends to be flat

Thanks for you rcomments and your help.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjhphoto/
GMT -5

Ishpuini wrote:

Thanks for posting these great examples.

I'm a fan of the LR/Enfuse plugin as well. I mostly use it in my B&W conversion process to enable detail in all parts of the images. After I apply contrast to return to a more normal look.

Note that Enfuse doesn't do HDR accrording to its strict definition but uses an alternative algorithm called enfusion to achieve a similar end result.

I prefer Enfuse since it produces results out-of-the-box that can I can work on in Lightroom. Most HDR software requires too much work for me to get to a result that looks as I want them...

Wim

Thanks for the nice comments. I too find that contrast needs to be applied to the enfused image as it comes out of the program somewhat flat but it is easily modifiable in LR or PS.
--
GMT -5

godfrog wrote:

I agree about LR/Enfuse, and I given a donation to the creator as well. The images just look a lot better to my eye, they dont have that over-the-top tonemapped look that most software produces, and it does not require as much tweaking as most programs.

It also plugs straight into Lightroom, and further editing is easily done after enfusing to a 16-bit TIFF file.

I agree. Thanks for looking
--
GMT -5

Henrik Melander wrote:

Thnx for the link, I have tried photomatix and other software and hated the outcome from them all. This might be what im looking for

If you are looking for a more natural outcome it may well be what you need.
Thanks for looking

Mike

magomago Regular Member • Posts: 214

tagged

mind posting small pics of the OG files you used? I'm kind of curious what it looked light...although i do have an idea lol.

original 3 exposures

Here are the original exposures you requested much reduced for email and essentially unprocessed other than LR defaults.

Mike

Over

Under

Normal

nznhut Regular Member • Posts: 468
Some LR/Enfuse Problems

I know you are not tech support, so I'm not exepecting an answer on this, but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.

When outputting to a tiff file, the image comes out washed out and with vertical striping. When output is set to jpg, the image is fine, and can finish tweaking it in LR or whatever I am using.

The images it produces are very good - increased detail, without the over the top HDR feel about them.
--
Mark Duke
http://markdukephoto.com/

Re: Some LR/Enfuse Problems

I have not had that problem on any of the 10 subjects I have tried. What is the source file and what options are you using. The Enfuse project is hosted at Source Forge and you might try going there so they can see your result. You may have found a problem.

Regards

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads