Supr X Veteran Member • Posts: 4,956
Re: Some with D90 and 70-300VR

tc333 wrote:

In next post!

. . . you're kidding
--
David~
WSSA Member #90

. . . shoot like there's no film in the thing!

OP tc333 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,967

First one with the SB800 but it is a lil too bright.

-- hide signature --

Tony

tc333's gear list:tc333's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9

Any comments that would help me improve on these would be welcome

All at f6.3 and focal lengths are 165mm, 300mm, 300mm, 300mm, 260mm. Last 4 where taken on a small boat that was not very steady.
--
Tony

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
ru1thirst Regular Member • Posts: 186

I just got this lens. Just curious. You say you were in a boat for the last four shots. Did you use the "active" VR setting on those? If so, have you experimented and seen a difference?
--
D90
D5000 brought back after 2nd recall.
35mm f/1.8 ~ 16-85vr ~ 18-105vr
55-200vr (selling on ebay now) ~ 70-300vr ~ SB-600

No i did not and have never used the Active setting.
--
Tony

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9

haha not one comment about any of the pics! Why even bother posting any i do not know
--
Tony

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188

tc333 wrote:

haha not one comment about any of the pics! Why even bother posting any i do not know

Uh... maybe try posting them where they actually belong... in the Galleries forum.

Maybe you'll get a "good job!" and the pats on the back you're looking for.

Or maybe they just aren't interesting.

-- hide signature --

Don't taze me bro !

veteran35th Contributing Member • Posts: 710

Technically (to me at least) very good photos, nice and sharp.

Subjects (to me at least) not that interesting.

Matt

David Chin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,670
Nice shots ...

... linked up at http://www.dpnotes.com/nikon-70-300-vr-reviews-and-samples/

Good thing your post came up again on the front page - I missed it earlier.

-- hide signature --
Bart Tcuker Regular Member • Posts: 283
70-300VR

Some prior posts in past year have said that the sharpness of this lens falls off over about 270mm .... so when I use mine, I tend to back off a little to about 285mm, rather than use the full 300. There had been photo comparisons, very minute, but none the less. Just a thought. Also, work on your lighting. You need better lighting for this lens, try to get the sunlight on your subjects, esp. at distance. Cheers. Bart in Calif.

Brooks P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183

Wasn’t sure whether #1 was an Emu or an Ostrich, but settled on the later. I think this is the best of the lot and shows a lot of detail; composition wise I think it needs a bit more empty space in front of the bill in order to get the head out of the center of the frame – the way it is looks like a picture in a reference book.

Number two may have a bit too much dead space and the bird would look better if there was some catch light (that small glint of light that reflects off the eye). Catch light can often time be initiated by the use of flash, even the pop-up flash will sometimes be enough.

Not sure what I am supposed to be looking at in #3. The three birds on the foreground spit of land are uninteresting with their backs to the camera and apparently too far away for any detail to show. In addition the background with the myriad white birds, which appear as nothing more than white blobs, is very distracting and takes the viewers eyes away from the three birds that are the object of the photo. Maybe the mass of birds in the background would have made a better subject.

The gull is a bit soft. This looks to be a crop in which case you’d have been better served to have waited and let the gull get closer. Most people who are interested in bird pictures judge the picture by whether or not they can detect feather detail.

In your last picture you are just too far away and there is nothing to hold the viewers attention. This is one of those pictures that after a quick perusal the viewer thinks, OK, nothing here of interest, next. This would be a difficult scene to capture, the lighting is poor, the water colorless, the land is more or less colorless and the birds are more or less the same color as the land.

-- hide signature --

At least you are being honest

TFergus wrote:

tc333 wrote:

Uh... maybe try posting them where they actually belong... in the Galleries forum.

-- hide signature --

Tony

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9

Thanks for commenting guys.

Bart i appreciate the tip and will bear that in mind.

Brooks that is the exact sort of comments i am looking for and i appreciate you taking time to replying in detail.
--
Tony

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9

I have noticed you normally make sarcastic remarks. You dont need to try hard to make yourself look like a pr-ck do you?

TFergus wrote:

tc333 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tony

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
Supr X

tc333 wrote:

I have noticed you normally make sarcastic remarks. You dont need to try hard to make yourself look like a pr-ck do you?

. . . hmm, quite a comeback after this sat dormant for 4 days, Tony-
Somewhat beneath you, methinks.
--
David~
WSSA Member #90

davidried Contributing Member • Posts: 700

Dude, that is insulting a way off base. Tfergus puts a lot of effort into making himself look like a pr-ck. He has it up to an art form, and just because it looks effortless to you, does not mean that he is not trying really hard.

tc333 wrote:

RAL Veteran Member • Posts: 6,377

Two things, you didn't say what iso and I didn't try to look at exif, but if you would up the iso or let shutter speed drop enough to get that lens closed down to f8 things would probably be sharper.

As to comments on the images earlier, most probably missed them because of the first post that didn't have anything in it, so they just passed it up after that. If you would have put images in the first post, the icon would have shown that and got things off to the right start. If I checked it out first because of the subject line and didn't find images I probably would not have looked later. And I look for the picture icon when looking for posts that might have images to view and skip others that don't.

Supr X
. . . li'l off-track here . . .

RAL wrote:

Two things, you didn't say what iso . . . [or any shooting specs]

As to comments on the images earlier, most probably missed them because of the first post that didn't have anything in it, so they just passed it up after that. If you would have put images in the first post, the icon would have shown that and got things off to the right start. If I checked it out first because of the subject line and didn't find images I probably would not have looked later. And I look for the picture icon when looking for posts that might have images to view and skip others that don't.

This is too kind, but not only were the pics too late, there is no question associated with them when they do show up, so we are put in the roll of 'picture-viewers', and i can do that in my Picasa or Flickr accounts . . . i need more purpose in my life . . .
--
David~
WSSA Member #90

lee lindquist Senior Member • Posts: 1,751

Supr X wrote:

tc333 wrote:

. . . hmm, quite a comeback after this sat dormant for 4 days, Tony-
Somewhat beneath you, methinks.

Since he had previously replied to the same post, this was
probably just a bump.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads