How to clean dust inside Olympus OM 50mm lens?

Started Aug 20, 2009 | Discussions
300Bee Regular Member • Posts: 300
How to clean dust inside Olympus OM 50mm lens?

My 50mm/f1.8 has some dust and a little fungus developing. They haven't shown
up in pictures yet.
There are 3 screws on the mounting side. Is that how to disassemble the lens?
Or am I underestimating the difficulty?
Can you help?
thanks.

steve16823 Senior Member • Posts: 2,441
Re: How to clean dust inside Olympus OM 50mm lens?

300Bee wrote:

My 50mm/f1.8 has some dust and a little fungus developing.

The dust probably isn't hurting anything. Fungus is obviously not good though. On the plus side a 50mm f/1.8 with fungus isn't worth anything so what have you got to lose?

I don't remember exactly, but I think to remove the rear elements you need to remove the threaded retaining ring right around the element. Of course, if the fungus and dust are behind the front element that doesn't help you much. Then you need to peel off the front ring (with the model name and serial number, it is attached with adhesive) and attack it from that end. Again, a threaded retaining ring holds the element in. You really should have a spanner to fit the notches in the ring but i've used a small screwdriver while holding glass still with a rubber stopper.

Yes!

Can you help?

Probably not. Even what I wrote above was taken from my memory and probably shouldnt' be trusted.

thanks.

You're welcome. Good luck shopping for a new 50mm.

steve16823's gear list:steve16823's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
shutter2533 Senior Member • Posts: 1,476
It's less troublesome to buy another one...

300Bee wrote:

up in pictures yet.

Which version of the 50/1.8 do you have? The Older F. ZUIKO or the later ZUIKO MC or ZUIKO 50mm without "f=" prefixing the 50mm?

They are distinctly different lenses assembled differently too. Can you determine which surface the fungus growth is on? Fungus is an indication that you have been storing the lens in a warm and humid environment like a camera bag padded with spongy material that absorbs moisture.

That gets the bayonet mount off only. There are retaining rings that unscrew to allow the rear elements to be removed. The rings have a drop o glue applied to the thread and may require substantial force to twist them off.

How the front elements come off depends on which version of the lens you have. It is very easy to destroy the front bezel - the ring that has the inscription on it, if it is the later model as it is plastic. Older model has a metal ring.

Fungus may not clean off without a solvent that also removes the multi-coating. Do you rally want to do this?

Yes.

Can you help?

No.

Getting another lens from ebay sounds like a far easier proposition. Store your lenses in a cool dry box that has no moisture absorbing materials. Plastic boxes are best avoided. Wooden boxes are good. Card board boxes OK if humidity is low.

Camera bags and lens cases/pouches make ideal environments for fungal growth in the presence of humidity.

Trevor

300Bee OP Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: It's less troublesome to buy another one...

It is just "Zuiko MC"
It sounds too difficult. thanks.

Sille Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: How to clean dust inside Olympus OM 50mm lens?

300Bee wrote:

up in pictures yet.
Can you help?
thanks.

It is not difficult at all, at least not if you have a parts diagram.

it can be downloaded here:
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/PDFs/50mm_f1.8.pdf

Cheers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads