G11 shutter delay

Started Aug 20, 2009 | Discussions
Gadget Contributing Member • Posts: 603
Re: G11 shutter delay

Hello;

I have been holding out purchasing a compact camera due to that " shutter lag" or focus lag or processing lag...I am tired of reading about people saying tips and tricks..I do not want tips and tricks....The camera needs to be made to shoot and process faster...similar to dslr. I know technology will get there and maybe it is there now. I really want something....does not have to be Canon. This is a good thread.....and hope we all can learn from it....thank you
--
good luck and enjoy,
Gadget

Gadget Contributing Member • Posts: 603
Re: The answer is simple...

i just wrote Canon....maybe everyone should....I told them i have been waiting for a compact camera to come out ( by anyone ) that has quality and no shutter lag...and if the G11 does not show me the image as i saw it on my screen...i am not buying one and shall continue to search Nikon, Pana, etc. Lots of nice features on the G11 for me, but not if it can't shoot what i see. That rhymes..lets not forget it...

thanks again everyong for this informative thread....perhaps as we discuss this someone will have found the perfect compact.
--
good luck and enjoy,
Gadget

William Ing Contributing Member • Posts: 628
Re: The answer is simple...

To gadget:

Good of you to write to Canon. I think more compact camera users have to do exactly what you did. I really think most people who shoot with compacts are either unaware of the question of shutter lag or simply unconcerned. They simply accept the problem as being inherent in the design of all compact point and shoots.

I doubt the following information is useful to you, but just for the record: On these forums I've seen postings by users of the Ricoh GX and GR series of compact cameras. I don't know which models specifically, as I've never shot with any of them. There seems to be a consensus among many compact camera shooters that some of the Ricohs were in the forefront of reduced shutter lag performance times.

From my own experience, I can say that the only compact I've ever shot with that was capable of capturing well-timed shots of moderately fast action IN PRE-FOCUS MODE is my discontinued Canon SD 800 IS ELPH. It's been discontinued for two years, but Canon has so many similar SD series cameras that I'm sure there are others that feature the same shutter mechanism. At any rate, my SD 800 IS had rather limited exposure and flash options, produced pictures of only high-average image quality, and could produce only JPEG files.

Mo Kwart
Mo Kwart Senior Member • Posts: 1,250

I love my G10. My only gripe is the delay and it's a major gripe. I carry my 50D when I have to capture movement, but it is not always practical. I don't want to carry the 50D when I am on my bike on jeep trails or singles. I take the G10 and miss alot of shots. It has changed my photography choices and that is a bit frustrating. I agree, Canon has not addressed the problem seriously. Perhaps they would lose too many multiple camera customers. Eventually, we will have our cake and eat it too.

Mo Kwart's gear list:Mo Kwart's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
pcunite Senior Member • Posts: 1,398

Gadget wrote:

I have been holding out purchasing a compact camera due to that " shutter lag" or focus lag or processing lag... The camera needs to be made to shoot and process faster...similar to dslr.

I feel very strongly about this as well.

I want a camera for personal use that can be with me all the time. G12 sized but with an APS-C sensor. I don't care about megapixels, LCD flip out screens, portrait modes, anti-shake tech, movie feature, multiple AF points, or even a zoom lens.

I just want to press the shutter button and expect the camera to take the picture. Is that to much to ask? Give me manual controls, one center AF point, and I'll do the rest. The Fujifilm FinePix X100 appears to have all of this. If the shutter lag (auto focus AF speed) is quick I'll buy two of them.

mikeval Senior Member • Posts: 1,205

pcunite wrote:

I just want to press the shutter button and expect the camera to take the picture. Is that to much to ask?

Nowadays, with digital cameras, it probably is too much to ask - but you'd need to check with a few top technicians to get an accurate answer.

I do know that all my old film cameras are instant. It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, or what the quality is. I've got/had Agfa, Kodak, Zenit, Practica, Minolta, Asahi Pentax, Nikon and Canon film cameras and they all took pictures in the same instant that you pressed the shutter. I grew up with that and assumed that all cameras were like that until I bought my first digital camera.

I thought there was something wrong with it (because of the lag) and tried to return it. Imagine my shock when I eventually learnt that all non-DSLR digital cameras have that lag.

AAhhhhh, I must be having some form of Kafkan nightmare. What? You mean that modern cameras can't take an instant shot ? You mean that some of those almost worthless, dusty old cameras in that cupboard take a picture quicker than ANY modern P&S digital?

Errr, sorry to tell you, but yes.

It almost led me to giving up photography. I found it horrendously frustrating and demotivating not being able to catch a precise moment. I really got to the point of wondering what the bloody use was in having a camera that didn't work until it had thought things over for what appeared to be weeks. Forgive my exaggeration, but I mean, a miss is as good as a mile. If you miss it by nought point something of a second, you still miss it. There's no consolation knowing you only just missed it!

I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to enjoy taking pics again, I would have to consider DSLRs, but they were elephantine, so I eventually settled for m4/3, and I'm relieved to have escaped from the world of delayed action, too-late cameras, such as all current digital P&Ss.

Olon New Member • Posts: 19

So along these lines:

Are MFT cameras (e.g. G2) currently the cheapest option (in the digital world) to achieve the same sense of response as old enthusiast SLRs or is this still too much to ask? I'm not talking about specification-based response but the hands-on, everyday sense.

Thanks.

William Ing Contributing Member • Posts: 628
I DON'T agree that MFT cameras have solved the shutter lag problem

mikeval wrote:

"I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to enjoy taking pics again, I would have to consider DSLRs, but they were elephantine, so I eventually settled for m4/3, and I'm relieved to have escaped from the world of delayed action, too-late cameras, such as all current digital P&Ss."

Olon wrote:

"Are MFT cameras (e.g. G2) currently the cheapest option (in the digital world) to achieve the same sense of response as old enthusiast SLRs or is this still too much to ask? I'm not talking about specification-based response but the hands-on, everyday sense."

Both of you speak of the MFT format as if Panasonic/Olympus had indeed stumbled upon the Holy Grail of drastically reduced shutter lag times. I must beg to differ. I shoot newspaper photojournalism on an almost daily basis with 2 G1s and a GF1, and if I may be allowed to express my opinion: In terms of pre-focus shutter lag times, both of these Panny G-series bodies do represent an improvement over most large-sensor P&S cameras like the LX3 or the Canon G series, but they still come up short in comparison with even an entry-level DSLR like my Canon Xs. Both Pannys increase somewhat your chances of capturing that elusive expression in a portrait, or the quick thrust of a speaker's hand when he's driving home a point from the lectern, or the highest point of a ballerina's jeteé, but make no mistake: MFT still has a way to go before I'll concede that the G-series Panasonics have equalled the action-capturing capabilities of my Xs or Xti Rebels. I've also read reports that the Panasonic LX5 is considerably improved over the LX3 in this regard, and there's some hope that the forthcoming Fuji Finepix X100 will raise the bar for non-DSLR shutter lag times. Only time and lots of hands-on testing will tell.

mikeval Senior Member • Posts: 1,205
Re: I DON'T agree that MFT cameras have solved the shutter lag problem

Dear William,

I'm sorry if I created the impression that m4/3 cameras had the fastest of all response times, as I am sure they do not. I agree with you that DSLRs are generally faster. But having been soooo frustrated at the (lack of) speed of a G11, I was overjoyed at the relatively fast response of a GF1, and for my needs I am happy to stick with it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads