7d / 60d Rumor - September 1st

Started Aug 20, 2009 | Discussions
Bionic963 Contributing Member • Posts: 665
7d / 60d Rumor - September 1st

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/09/08/19/canon.7d.leaks/

Canon 7D seen, due on September 1st?

A lower end complement to the EOS-5D Mark II may be due just two weeks after Canon's PowerShot upgrades today, a combination of leaks appears to show. An image at a Chinese forum (since pulled) shows a photo of a supposed EOS-7D and correlates to a now known-accurate rumor that showed the 7D in Best Buy's retail system along with all the point-and-shoot cameras released today, including the previously unknown S90. A Canon representative is also reported as having given the camera a September 1st launch with both a $2,700 body-only version and a $2,900 kit with a 28-135mm EF lens.

Most spec rumors for the 7D have it scaling down to 12.1 megapixels, below the resolution of even the Rebel T1i, but still using a full-frame sensor that would give it light sensitivity between ISO 100 and 25,600. It's also suspected that it would have the unique addition of a 3-inch OLED for more accurate colors on previews than an LCD but that it would slow down to 3.9 frames per second in continuous shooting from the 5 frames of the earlier model. The photo from today shows a microphone grille and directly hints at video capture that should include 1080p.

The Canon representative also allegedly made reference to the EOS-60D being available at the same time as the 7D. Rumors for that have it continuing to use a crop-frame sensor but a possibly improved 14.7-megapixel sensor with better low-light response, more autofocusing points and 1080p video.
--
---
Brook

GuillaumeB123 Regular Member • Posts: 170
Re: 7d / 60d Rumor - September 1st

probably the same kind of new sensor technology they use in the G11 / S90? =o

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
??????? can't be true or Canon has totally lost it....

Bionic963 wrote:

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/09/08/19/canon.7d.leaks/

Canon 7D seen, due on September 1st?

A lower end complement to the EOS-5D Mark II may be due just two weeks after Canon's PowerShot upgrades today, a combination of leaks appears to show. An image at a Chinese forum (since pulled) shows a photo of a supposed EOS-7D and correlates to a now known-accurate rumor that showed the 7D in Best Buy's retail system along with all the point-and-shoot cameras released today, including the previously unknown S90. A Canon representative is also reported as having given the camera a September 1st launch with both a $2,700 body-only version and a $2,900 kit with a 28-135mm EF lens.

Most spec rumors for the 7D have it scaling down to 12.1 megapixels, below the resolution of even the Rebel T1i, but still using a full-frame sensor that would give it light sensitivity between ISO 100 and 25,600. It's also suspected that it would have the unique addition of a 3-inch OLED for more accurate colors on previews than an LCD but that it would slow down to 3.9 frames per second in continuous shooting from the 5 frames of the earlier model. The photo from today shows a microphone grille and directly hints at video capture that should include 1080p.

what earlier model was 5fps?? Not the 50D. Not the 5D. Not the 5D2. The 20D?? But what does that have to do with anything??

and who the heck would pay the same $2700 for a scaled down 5D2 when the 5D2 is.... $2700!?!

The only spec I see changed is 12MP down from 21MP and LCD-> OLED! Wow, what an upgrade!!!!

Those specs, taken all together simply can't be real or Canon has utterly lost it!

The Canon representative also allegedly made reference to the EOS-60D being available at the same time as the 7D. Rumors for that have it continuing to use a crop-frame sensor but a possibly improved 14.7-megapixel sensor with better low-light response, more autofocusing points and 1080p video.
--
---
Brook

Cal Dawson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,810
3.9 fps....boring....probably ....

the same old focus system also....

Oh well keep waiting....

-- hide signature --

Cal

Put a Canon to your head, You deserve it....

http://funshots.smugmug.com/

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902
Re: 3.9 fps....boring....probably ....

Same old rumors = same old lack of any real information.

-- hide signature --

Phil .. Canon EOS 40D, 20D, G9, SD700IS; Panasonic LX3, TZ5; Fuji F31fd.
Pbase Supporter http://www.pbase.com/phil_wheeler
http://philwheeler.net

 PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,980
Naaaaah...

If this is intended to be a "5DMkII Jr." it almost makes sense from a spec standpoint, but the pricing is completely out of whack, as others have pointed out. If the camera described were closer to $1,795 (give or take $100 or so), then it might be really interesting. It doesn't make sense for Canon to introduce a downspec'd 5DMkII at the same price... something is clear amiss here.

Bionic963 wrote:

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/09/08/19/canon.7d.leaks/

Canon 7D seen, due on September 1st?

A lower end complement to the EOS-5D Mark II may be due just two weeks after Canon's PowerShot upgrades today, a combination of leaks appears to show. An image at a Chinese forum (since pulled) shows a photo of a supposed EOS-7D and correlates to a now known-accurate rumor that showed the 7D in Best Buy's retail system along with all the point-and-shoot cameras released today, including the previously unknown S90. A Canon representative is also reported as having given the camera a September 1st launch with both a $2,700 body-only version and a $2,900 kit with a 28-135mm EF lens.

Most spec rumors for the 7D have it scaling down to 12.1 megapixels, below the resolution of even the Rebel T1i, but still using a full-frame sensor that would give it light sensitivity between ISO 100 and 25,600. It's also suspected that it would have the unique addition of a 3-inch OLED for more accurate colors on previews than an LCD but that it would slow down to 3.9 frames per second in continuous shooting from the 5 frames of the earlier model. The photo from today shows a microphone grille and directly hints at video capture that should include 1080p.

The Canon representative also allegedly made reference to the EOS-60D being available at the same time as the 7D. Rumors for that have it continuing to use a crop-frame sensor but a possibly improved 14.7-megapixel sensor with better low-light response, more autofocusing points and 1080p video.
--
---
Brook

 Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Bassman2003 Senior Member • Posts: 1,575
Re: ??????? can't be true or Canon has totally lost it....

I would have to agree. The 5DmkII is $2,700. They would have to create a really really nice crop camera for that price or lower price an offer a scaled down full-frame camera.

I want a crop camera to compliment my 5DmkII that is equal or close to equal in image quality, same size and viewfinder (my 30d feels like a toy when I pick it up) along with actually having a better AF system for action shooting.

This would serve as a decent backup as well as a but longer shooting tool.

Nikon has made this a reality. Canon just needs to beef up crop camera and they will have it as well.

Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,067
Re: ??????? can't be true or Canon has totally lost it....

bronxbombers wrote:

and who the heck would pay the same $2700 for a scaled down 5D2 when the 5D2 is.... $2700!?!

The same people who would buy the G11 over the G10 for its "better pixel level noise" ???

-- hide signature --

-CW

よしよし、今日も生きのいい魂が手に入ったな

 Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +33 more
bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
new 60D/7D photo:

from Patiente on CR from some Asian site....:

new or is that one of the rebels??

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: ??????? can't be true or Canon has totally lost it....

Chez Wimpy wrote:

bronxbombers wrote:

and who the heck would pay the same $2700 for a scaled down 5D2 when the 5D2 is.... $2700!?!

The same people who would buy the G11 over the G10 for its "better pixel level noise" ???

ok, you got me

canon marketing is now in the superposition of more money for more MP (it's better) and more money for less MP (it's better)

hhasan Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: new 60D/7D photo:

All Rebel cameras have the mode selection dial on the right side. This looks to be a new part as none of the current Canon DSLRs have the on/off switch under the mode dial. There's also a new M-Fn button on the grip next to the shutter release (dedicated mirror-up?!)

If real, that's got to be the 7D as it's missing all the auto scene modes you would see on a 50D or xxD body.

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: new 60D/7D photo:

hmm one of the rumors did promise a mirror button....

odd that the on-off seems to have only one position not two

hhasan wrote:

All Rebel cameras have the mode selection dial on the right side. This is a new part as none of the current Canon DSLRs have the on/off switch under the mode dial. There's also a new M-Fn button on the grip next to the shutter release (dedicated mirror-up?!)

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: new 60D/7D photo:

from northlight see their site for more info, maybe this fits:

from their roadmap guy who seems to give some of the best info, but this was only about a trial cam:

"This would give sports and bird shooters etc a 20 FPS plus (with mirror up) 1.6 crop (plus movie mode etc) weather sealed pro focus camera. "

or

"

  • 15MP

  • 98% VF

  • 19-pt., all-cross type area AF ellipse (basically, the current 1-series AF point layout w/o the 26-pt. assist AF pts

  • 1080p@30fps full HD video with full manual controls

  • 7.4FPS@14-bit mode

  • new DiGIC V

  • New battery

  • Mystery 'feature'

"

at 300S price

hhasan Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: new 60D/7D photo:

The switch does seem to have two positions, Off to the left, and On to the right. I wonder what the M in M-Fn could mean. Manual Function? Assign certain custom functions to that button?

I do hope that the megapixel count is slightly higher than the rumored 12MP. 14-15MP would afford some room for crops.

Now I'm kinda glad I held off on buying a 5DmkII. Would've had to get a new Mac Pro to handle the 21MP files

bronxbombers wrote:
hmm one of the rumors did promise a mirror button....

odd that the on-off seems to have only one position not two

hhasan wrote:

All Rebel cameras have the mode selection dial on the right side. This is a new part as none of the current Canon DSLRs have the on/off switch under the mode dial. There's also a new M-Fn button on the grip next to the shutter release (dedicated mirror-up?!)

hhasan Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: new 60D/7D photo:

Now that would be a camera to get!

Mystery Feature: touch screen LCD for focus!

That's how rumors get started Though that wouldn't be very useful on a sports/bird shooting camera.

bronxbombers wrote:

from northlight see their site for more info, maybe this fits:

from their roadmap guy who seems to give some of the best info, but this was only about a trial cam:

"This would give sports and bird shooters etc a 20 FPS plus (with mirror up) 1.6 crop (plus movie mode etc) weather sealed pro focus camera. "

or

"

  • 15MP

  • 98% VF

  • 19-pt., all-cross type area AF ellipse (basically, the current 1-series AF point layout w/o the 26-pt. assist AF pts

  • 1080p@30fps full HD video with full manual controls

  • 7.4FPS@14-bit mode

  • new DiGIC V

  • New battery

  • Mystery 'feature'

"

at 300S price

tknterry Senior Member • Posts: 1,711
These rumors are getting funnier all the time. :D

I heard a rumor that Mars is going to invade Earth on the Autumnal Equinox.
--
---Terry

http://www.wildworldphoto.net

obsoletemac New Member • Posts: 2
Re: new 60D/7D photo:

"Mystery feature", could that possibly be eye-controlled AF, like on the analog EOS 3, EOS 30? (I'd really like to see that)

PicPocket Veteran Member • Posts: 4,409
Re: new 60D/7D photo:

hhasan wrote:

Now that would be a camera to get!

Mystery Feature: touch screen LCD for focus!

No, seems like the M-Fn button in that picture. Mirror-Function? Like when a CF is set, pressing that button pulls up the mirror... then you fire as many shots as you want... and finally press again to bring down the mirror. That will be sweet (and fast)

"This would give sports and bird shooters etc a 20 FPS plus (with mirror up) 1.6 crop (plus movie mode etc) weather sealed pro focus camera. "

sounds like my guess above

-- hide signature --
 PicPocket's gear list:PicPocket's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 2.0x +11 more
PicPocket Veteran Member • Posts: 4,409
Re: These rumors are getting funnier all the time. :D

tknterry wrote:

I heard a rumor that Mars is going to invade Earth on the Autumnal Equinox.

what time? what timezone? Have they called a press conference? Oh perhaps it's just venus on Autumnal Equinox and the earth later on Vernal Equinox

-- hide signature --
 PicPocket's gear list:PicPocket's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 2.0x +11 more
runefb Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: new 60D/7D photo:

Agreed!

It also has the ligth button placed on the rigth shoulder, just like the 5DII...
Hoping for a FF 7D thats even better that 5D going for only $500!
Rune

hhasan wrote:

All Rebel cameras have the mode selection dial on the right side. This looks to be a new part as none of the current Canon DSLRs have the on/off switch under the mode dial. There's also a new M-Fn button on the grip next to the shutter release (dedicated mirror-up?!)

If real, that's got to be the 7D as it's missing all the auto scene modes you would see on a 50D or xxD body.

 runefb's gear list:runefb's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads