What lens would you like to see introduced next by Sony?

Started Aug 15, 2009 | Discussions
Phixel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,777
Re: None

jimb100 wrote:

I used to be annoyed that Sony had so many gaps in their line for APS-c cameras but there are enough lenses out there that fill the bill, at least for my needs.

Frankly, I haven't seen Sony come out with a lens that I can't find an equivalent for a heck of a lot less money.

If I had to rely on Sony for my lenses, I would move to another brand of camera. Sony puts all their best efforts full frame lenses, even though they only make one FF camera, the a900. That tells me Sony does not see much future for APS-C DSLRs and they will concentrate on full frame for advanced amateurs with deep pockets.
-Phil

Lucas_
Lucas_ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,072
85mm/f1.8 G SSM

Obviously much less expensive than current CZ 85/f1.4!

Another good one woud be a 24-135/f3.5-4.5 G ( equivalent to the CZ 16-80/3.5-4.5 on APS, a bit longer ).

... Lucas
--
You're welcome to: http://www.pbase.com/lucaspix/root

Always having fun with photography ...

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony 50mm F1.4 +39 more
roweraay Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
24-105 f/4G SSM and CZ 50mm f/1.4ZA SSM

I would definitely like to have a 24-105 f/4G SSM as a companion to the CZ 24-70 f/2.8.

I would definitely want a Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4ZA SSM planar too.

roweraay Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
Pentax is a good option for you

Pentax is a great option for you, IMO. They have an APS-C-only roadmap with bodies and lenses that will thrill the heart of APS-C shooters. Time to do a lateral move to Pentax, IMO.

Alpha Jack Senior Member • Posts: 1,539
Re: None

Phixel wrote:

jimb100 wrote:

I used to be annoyed that Sony had so many gaps in their line for APS-c cameras but there are enough lenses out there that fill the bill, at least for my needs.

Frankly, I haven't seen Sony come out with a lens that I can't find an equivalent for a heck of a lot less money.

If I had to rely on Sony for my lenses, I would move to another brand of camera. Sony puts all their best efforts full frame lenses, even though they only make one FF camera, the a900. That tells me Sony does not see much future for APS-C DSLRs and they will concentrate on full frame for advanced amateurs with deep pockets.
-Phil

Weren't there 4 new DT lenses put on the market by Sony in the last few months? 18-55, 55-200, 50 1.8, and 30 2.8 macro.
--
Zeiss taste...Beercan budget!

Alpha Jack's gear list:Alpha Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7
zxaar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,175
Re: Not going to happen.

domk275 wrote:

I will repeat: that is NOT going to happen. The Pentax is MF, and from that I'm going to guess that it's very old, and hence, I'm going to assume it's not available new, only second hand. So let's consider: it's manual focus, a very old design, and it's only available second hand. Of course it's going to be cheaper than a brand new, autofocus (USM), relatively new design Canon version. There is absolutely no way in hell that Sony would release a 50/1.2 priced anywhere near the Pentax price, let alone lower. if such a lens did come along, it would be almost certainly more than the Canon's price, considering it will be a brand new design, and that it'll be Sony branded. If you think it qould come anywhere near $700, you are deluded.

Did you check the link i posted, that is link to a shop near me and is very famous in japan. I have been to that shop and held that lense many times.

Read again:

It is available new, not second hand for that price .

Though i bought second hand version for 180 dollars 2 months ago. And for my first version also second hand i paid only 100$ (few years ago).

It may be old design, but at wide open it is as sharp as canon's version plus it is better in few things. Canon's version is expensive because:
1. It is L lense, thus like all others it is expensive.
2. Canon's version has aspherical element, pentax version has not.

(best thing about pentax' lense is very compact for f1.2 lense, looks like a kid in front of canon's giant).

Anyway this lense for 700$ new is definitely possible (it was few months ago actually, but $ value has faltered).
Though i agree one thing that Sony would not release it for that price.

Re: 50mm f:.95.....

Gil Knutson wrote:

Sony should show the world that they ARE serious about lenses... like Canon does. Canon makes these oddball lenses that get people looking. The 50mm f:.95 is another statement lens they have... why not show the world what they can design and create... and this lens surely would do it. Make it sharper and better than Canon, and sell it for $10 less than Canon does!!

i would really love a f0.95 lense.

Canon's version is not for SLRs though, they made it for rangefinder.

Its is available second hand in this shop. I think they also have f1.2 rokkor.

edited to add, yes they have rokkor

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,472
Re: 51mm f1.4 -- a clear hole in the line

jamesdak wrote:

Wow, having a bad day Jim?? Henry just answered the question of the original OP something you did not do. So why the beef??

Thanks, James. It is surprising how angry people can get over posts that are just in fun and aren't even directed at anyone.

domk275 Regular Member • Posts: 488

Okay, sorry, it's available new.

But, the old design thing has nothing to do with the quality. There are plenty of ancient designs that are excellent. This lens may be one of them. I'm not questioning that. The point is, it's an old design, so Pentax recouped the design costs loooooong ago. Also, it's MF, which also drives down the price considerably (gor example, you can get a brand new (unsure about design age) Korean-made MF 85/1.4 for a little less than an AF 85/1.8 - and the 1.4 has aspheric elements to boot). The point is, the Canon is highly priced because that's what it costs. The "L" label probably has very little to do with it - in fact I would say the inverse is true, and that the lens is a L because of it's high price tag, if you see what I mean. As for the aspheric elements, again I disagree. That's just evidence that the Pentax is such an old design, where the Canon uses modern tech.

I know it would be great if Sony came out with a 50/1.2 for $700, but I'm sorry, it's just not going to happen .

you are correct that being manual focus it could be made cheap, but thats my point, it could be made cheap if it is manual focus.

Another thing is other than canon's version i am not aware of any f1.2 lense (50s) that is autofocus. It is usual to have lense this fast as manual focus.

Here is with latest technology, it is faster than f1.2, it is f1.1 but it is cheaper than canon at least (expensive than pentax f1.2)

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigt_5011.htm

So it should be possible to make f1.2 for around 700$. It is possible but would companies be selling at that price is debatable.

So again i agree, sony would not give me f1.2 this cheap. (but i think it certainly possible)

-- hide signature --

one among others

pickles101 Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: How about a 200-400/3.5-4.8 for 1/3 of the cost?

That certainly is a very cool idea, and that type of lens would kick butt. I'll keep it in mind next time I run into some of the sony reps at the stores and in the photo shows, perhaps if we pester them enough we might yet get such a lens!. aside from that, i have a question. im just starting to get into wildlife, I currently have an a900, with the 24-70, and a 70-200. I'm looking for a lens with the best focal length and im trying to decide between the Minolta 400 F4.5, the sigma 500 F4.5, or wait and save up for the next Minolta 600 F4 i happen to run across. It seems that you have a lot of experience in this field, so which would you recommend? Thanks for any help!

jim stirling
jim stirling Veteran Member • Posts: 7,356

Henry Richardson wrote:

jamesdak wrote:

Wow, having a bad day Jim?? Henry just answered the question of the original OP something you did not do. So why the beef??

Thanks, James. It is surprising how angry people can get over posts that are just in fun and aren't even directed at anyone.

Hello Henry,

I would hardly say my post was angry, I just do not see the point in responding to reasonable posts with sarcasm. If it does not interest you why respond. I appreciate your response was only in humour ,but whatever jamesdak may think you hardly answered the question. I would say the only reply with even a hint of anger is the one from jamesdak to my post. As it happens I was having a very good day and no beef ,pork or lamb.
Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 +12 more
DUSTY LENS
DUSTY LENS Veteran Member • Posts: 4,308
Re: What lens would you like to see introduced next by Sony?

Smaller light weight Ultra high IQ prime 45mm f2.0 and Small light weight Ultra High IQ very low distortion 24-70+mm f2-f2.8 Ultra high IQ zoom , both for FF a-900

DUSTY LENS's gear list:DUSTY LENS's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art
Gustav Jensen Regular Member • Posts: 216

28-120/4 G SSM !
--
http://www.gustavjensen.com

jamesdak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,827

jim stirling wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

jamesdak wrote:

Hello Henry,

I would hardly say my post was angry, I just do not see the point in responding to reasonable posts with sarcasm. If it does not interest you why respond. I appreciate your response was only in humour ,but whatever jamesdak may think you hardly answered the question. I would say the only reply with even a hint of anger is the one from jamesdak to my post. As it happens I was having a very good day and no beef ,pork or lamb.
Jim

No big deal, I never get angry here either. This is one of the most entertaining places to be. Responses like yours to Henry just make me laugh in wonder when folks don't find things humorous. So are just so serious about their gear. To me, the serious part is the image itself not what it was taken with.

P.S. A little humor now and then never hurt anyone.

quatpat Contributing Member • Posts: 973
400mm f4, 500mm f5.6, 500mm f4, all SSM

... like that we'll have some to choose from at the long range. I would probably buy the (handholdable, sub 3kg?) 500mm f5.6, but it would all depend on the weight and the price.

qp

quatpat's gear list:quatpat's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335
If Sony really do read this thread...

cgarrard wrote:

Well theres no way in heck ill be able to reply to all of these responses yet, its good to see all the different thoughts on this subject.

I'm sure Sony will see it too.

Carl

They should be made aware that on the DPReview Pentax SLR forum, the CEO of Pentax USA (Ned Burrell) and one of their senior Product Managers (John Carlson) make regular personal appearences, answer detailed questions about new products after launch and demonstrate that Pentax USA are taking an interest in the complaints/criticisms and feelings of their customers as expressed there (though obvioulsy they don't reply to specific critcisms)

I think it would be a very positive move if there was a similar 'official' Sony presence on these forums who could demonstrate that Sony is aware of what is being said and maybe squash a few of the wilder rumours that get posted here

parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
Alexramos
Alexramos Senior Member • Posts: 1,589
Re: If Sony really do read this thread...

I think a f/4 G SSM FF line-up will be great...
-16-40mm f/4
-28-135mm f/4 (or 24-105mm f/4)
-70-200mm f/4

To FF and APS-C cameras...

Chadpm Junior Member • Posts: 42

17-70 (roughly) constant f/2.8 or even constant f/4.

Mark VB Senior Member • Posts: 2,912
Re: How about a 200-400/3.5-4.8 for 1/3 of the cost?

pickles101 wrote:

That certainly is a very cool idea, and that type of lens would kick butt. I'll keep it in mind next time I run into some of the sony reps at the stores and in the photo shows, perhaps if we pester them enough we might yet get such a lens!. aside from that, i have a question. im just starting to get into wildlife, I currently have an a900, with the 24-70, and a 70-200. I'm looking for a lens with the best focal length and im trying to decide between the Minolta 400 F4.5, the sigma 500 F4.5, or wait and save up for the next Minolta 600 F4 i happen to run across. It seems that you have a lot of experience in this field, so which would you recommend? Thanks for any help!

I assume the above was directed at my earlier post, and the question is to me. If not, pardon me for responding.

Getting the "best," or perhaps better stated "most appropriate" longer telephoto lens for wildlife depends on a number of things, including what subjects you are interested in photographing, your budget and how much size and weight you are willing to carry or travel with. Another might be the capabilities of your tripod (assuming you have one), as the longer and heavier the lens you get the better your tripod and head need to be. (When I got my 600/4 I found that my existing tripod, a Bogen 3021, was not capable of handling the load and had to upgrade to a Gitzo tripod and better head, and eventually got Wimberly gimbal heads to go with it; another combined expense of at least $1,000.) There are all sorts of compromises that can be involved depending on how these factors affect you.

If price were no object, I would probably say that among the current lenses available for the Alpha system, used or new, something like a combination of a 300/2.8 and 500 or 600 lens is best (along with teleconverters). Not all wildlife subjects or situations requires a 500 or 600 lens, and for those a 300 along with a 1.4x converter will serve you well. For those that need more focal length, you then would have the longer lens (or in a pinch the 300/2.8 with a 2x converter, though optically it will not quite be up to to a fixed focal length 500 or 600). The current version of the Sigma 500/4.5 has a pretty decent reputation, and Sigma has a matched 1.4x converter for it (I don't know whether the Sigma converter or Minolta/Sony converter would perform better, but usually the one from the same manufacturer is designed more for that manufacturer's lenses). Such a combination would give you the following options (with converters): 300/2.8, 420/4, 500/4.5 or 600/4, 600/5.6, 700/6.3 or 840/5.6, 1000/9.5 or 1200/8. (From this, I think you can see why I would love to see something like a 300-500/4 or 4.5 lens as it could cover a great range combined with a teleconverter.)

The 400/4.5 (assuming you can find one) is a decent compromise lens if you want only one lens. It's sort of in between the 300 and longer focal lengths, the f:4.5 maximum aperture is pretty good, and optically it is a very good lens. It also is usable with AF with the 1.4x converter for a 560/6.3 and in a pinch could be used with a 2x for a manual focus only 800/9.5.

Sigma's 500/4.5 is reasonably priced for the focal length/aperture combination is is reportedly pretty good. It should AF with a 1.4x converter, but not a 2x.

The 600/4 is an excellent lens, but it is a "beast" at about 19-20 inches long and about 12+ pounds (much larger than the Sigma 500/4.5). It certainly is not for everyone. On many of my wildlife photography trips it is my most used lens.

One thing to consider with both the 400/4.5 and 600/4 is the difficulty of getting them repaired should something go wrong. Parts may not be available if needed for a repair, particularly if you get an older version of the 600/4, and finding a place that can even do a repair on the 600/4 may be difficult (I believe that Minolta USA used to send the lens back to Japan if it required repair, or at least any significant repair).

All of the various lenses noted above are in different price categories. If you have a limited budget that could affect your decision making process. If you wanted to start with a 300/2.8 type lens, you have a few options, including a used Minolta lens, the very high priced Sony lens, and Sigma's 300/2.8. Optically, the Sony is best (and has the fastest AF), the Minolta is second, the Sigma third (but even it is pretty good). At 400mm your best option, if you can find it, is the Minolta 400/4.5 (you might be able to find an older, used Sigma or Tokina 400/5.6, but that would be an iffier proposition, particularly the older Sigma 400's). The Sony 70-400 G SSM lens could be an option for larger wildlife (e.g., large mammals and larger birds) but is not an ideal choice as it is less useful with a teleconverter and is a bit softer at the long end, where you'll most likely want to use it, compared to the shorter end of its range. But, it is less expensive than most of the other options and for what it is, is a very good lens (better than the Canon and Nikon versions).

Finally, as to subject matter. If you want to shoot small birds, or in locations where you will be at greater distances from your subjects (a very common situation), you can never have enough focal length, even for larger mammals. In that case I would say get the longest lens you can afford and would be comfortable using. I know a number of Nikon shooters who love the 200-400/4, and there are lots of Canon shooters who wish they had such a lens available. But, I also know that when photographing in Africa and other locations with friends or people whose longest lens was a 400 they were frequently using teleconverters and wishing they had something longer.

Ultimately, only you can decide what is the best solution for you, based on the factors that are relevant to you. Hope this helps.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads