What lens would you like to see introduced next by Sony?

Started Aug 15, 2009 | Discussions
cgarrard
cgarrard Forum Pro • Posts: 15,423
What lens would you like to see introduced next by Sony?
Ausgezeichnetcom Senior Member • Posts: 2,484
500/4 ssm

regards,
Bernd

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,451
51mm f1.4 -- a clear hole in the line

I would never consider FF until Sony fills this gaping hole in their lens line. Where is the 51mm f1.4? How can Sony ever be considered a serious player if they can't get the simple stuff right?

Next should be a CZ 24-71mm f2.8. I could go on with all the obvious problems in the lens line-up. A 100mm f2.85 macro is also dearly needed.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

ZJLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,161
Cheap 35 f1.8 for aps-c

cgarrard wrote:

Pick one.

Carl
--
http://www.AlphaMountWorld.com

ZJLM's gear list:ZJLM's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
markwp Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: What lens would you like to see introduced next by Sony?

Zeiss 14-24 2.8, similar specs to the excellent Nikon lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082311nikonafs14-24-70lenses.asp

-- hide signature --
 markwp's gear list:markwp's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +10 more
Phixel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,777
None

and none. The Sony lenses made only for APS-C just don't have the value and quality I expect and need in a lens, and I don't think that will change because Sony is unfortuately married to Tamron with their lousy in-lens motors and poor build quality. Sony have some nice (and expensive) lenses for full frame cameras, but their APS-C line is inferior compared to others in terms of value, IQ and build quality.

Sigma makes much better quality APS-C lenses than Sony, and sells them for much less in most cases. Sigma also has all the ranges covered nicely for the APS-C only lenses for the A-mount, and they are quickly moving to all in-lens HSM motors so they will still work on the first new Sony DSLR camera that does not have a lens motor in the body (just a matter of time on that one!)

If Sony were smart they would just rebadge all the Sigma line for their APS-C lenses and be done with it. It's obvious that Sony has no interest in the APS-C line of lenses when they have not even upped the build on the ZA 16-80, but rather upped the price instead!

I found it interesting that David Kilpatricks stated that the majority of his lenses for his Sony cameras are Sigma. The full frame G and Zeiss lenses aside, I can't think of any reason to even consider purchasing a Sony lens.
-Phil

Kalin Junior Member • Posts: 46
Fresh Beer

Well, I have the beercan so it is not a personal need but a high-quality 70-200 constant f4.0 is a lens that can do lots of things in a small, not-too-expensive package.

titan10k Junior Member • Posts: 40

24-105/4 G SSM, please

Frenske Veteran Member • Posts: 4,180

What about a 16-80mm with a built quality of the 70-300mm G. Drop the CZ and make it G. CZ should not put their name on a lens with the present built quality.

-- hide signature --
 Frenske's gear list:Frenske's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
plesbit Contributing Member • Posts: 560
Re: None

Phixel wrote:

and none. The Sony lenses made only for APS-C just don't have the value and quality I expect and need in a lens, and I don't think that will change because Sony is unfortuately married to Tamron with their lousy in-lens motors and poor build quality. Sony have some nice (and expensive) lenses for full frame cameras, but their APS-C line is inferior compared to others in terms of value, IQ and build quality.

That's just nonsense. Sorry but it is. The 16-80 ZA is probably the best APS-C lens in existence, at least in terms of IQ. I'll agree the build is not up to its Nikon counterpart but it is with its Canon one. I'll also agree on the price front - both it and the 16-105 are priced far higher than they should be. The 16-105 also lacks nothing in terms of IQ, or even build, compared to its peers. It's only shortcoming is its price. The 18-250 is just about the best around - okay maybe the new Sigma has a slight IQ edge but here the tables are reversed and its the Sigma which is priced highly whereas the Sony is the cheaper alternative. The new 18-55 kit lens, from what I've seen, is a step forward in IQ and easily the equal of its opposite numbers. Not read a lot of complaints about the 50/1.8 or 30/1.8(?) either.

I'm no fan of Sony as you know, but what you wrote just isn't true. Price is Sony's only real problem.

plesbit's gear list:plesbit's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +6 more
zoomo Regular Member • Posts: 201

CZ lenses!

Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,080
85 f1.8 SSM

Though we know it will be 28-75 f2.8 I hope SSM

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony Alpha a7 III
OldScotch Contributing Member • Posts: 682

titan10k wrote:

24-105/4 G SSM, please

Yeap.

A 35mm prime or a 70-200ish 4 would be nice too.

edit - Who decided slashes would be good code for italics on a photography forum?

Ladybug Regular Member • Posts: 413
f/2 primes

Primes of superb quality. Small and lightweighted.
28-35-50-85-100, all f/2.

JasperD
JasperD Senior Member • Posts: 2,662
135/f1.8 SSM

I was about to say something like 600/f4G, then I realized the pricetag such a lens would come with, having Sony´s brand on it! Look at the 300G compared to other usual brands... ;(

So something simple then, just in my reach after some heavy savings. Hopefully. SSM in the two CZ primes lacking it, the one in subject being the favorite for next purchase...

I must confess I´m not using any Sony glass right now, only Sigma. But meanwhile there is the 70-400G on the list for purchase very soon now. I have hesitated with Sigma´s 120-400, but it lacks the EX characters (with some consequence here in Switzerland) and although I´ve seen really great shots with it, and its bigger sister the 150-500, the overall impression is very much in favor of the G. Also considered Sigma´s 100-300/f4 which I think would be a close match (with 1.4TC), but that one is lacking HSM. Which is a revelation for me since I bought the Sigma 50/f1.4, so much that I will not purchase any new lens not having it.

Nice thread Carl, let´s see how big that often quoted huge gap in Sony´s line up really is!

mdecorte New Member • Posts: 20
Re: 500/4 ssm

me too!

But only if these is a camera to go with it. The sony equivalent to the nikon d300.

Nordstjernen
Nordstjernen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,876
400 mm f:4

Lightweight, reasonable bright -- something to carry all day.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha a7
busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,633
400/f4 (nt)
-- hide signature --

Busch

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.pbase.com/busch

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more
farenms Regular Member • Posts: 443

one only?

probably 85mm f1.8
or a fixed aperture kit lens 24-1xx-ish

Geologic Junior Member • Posts: 39

titan10k wrote:

24-105/4 G SSM, please

YES! YES! YES! and an 15-30/4 G SSM it would be nice

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads