G10 => Dead Black Sceen ! (only on screen infos)

Started Aug 13, 2009 | Discussions
Zouk New Member • Posts: 17
G10 => Dead Black Sceen ! (only on screen infos)

Hi all,

My G10 is dead a few days ago, in a middle of a trip...
(can't explain my frustration with a SX200 as only backup...)

G10 is fully working except the live-view is now totally black, only on screen informations are visible. Useless to say that all pictures taken are also totally black.
It started to do it randomly then all time without any warnings before.

I assume that a mechanical element is dead/stuck (or CCD is dead but I really doubt since I can't hear anymore some mechanical noise present before failure).

The question is : does anyone encountered this problem or seen it somewhere ?

Best Regards,
Zouk !

Guerito Veteran Member • Posts: 4,874
Re: G10 => Dead Black Sceen ! (only on screen infos)

Were you wearing sunglasses by chance? Polarized glasses will make the LCD appear black.

Don

-- hide signature --

Feed Animal Shelter Cats For Free - Dogs Too!
http://www.freekibblekat.com/

huismetdehaan Regular Member • Posts: 112

Zouk wrote:

Hi all,

My G10 is dead a few days ago, in a middle of a trip...
(can't explain my frustration with a SX200 as only backup...)

G10 is fully working except the live-view is now totally black, only on screen informations are visible. Useless to say that all pictures taken are also totally black.
It started to do it randomly then all time without any warnings before.

I assume that a mechanical element is dead/stuck (or CCD is dead but I really doubt since I can't hear anymore some mechanical noise present before failure).

Best Regards,
Zouk !

Check your display mode, altough I don't think that is the problem because you can see on screen information, so your screen is probably OK.
Does the lens cover open?

Does the camera take pictures and can you download them to your computer? Then your sensor is OK and most likely it is a broken connection between sensor and screen.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joharis/

OP Zouk New Member • Posts: 17

Hello,

I think connection between screen and sensor is ok. No cover on lens, and tried every display mode, you can trust me.

Before definitive failure, screen stayed black sometimes at start-up, and the only way to turn it back to normal was to turn it off, then turn it on again (sometimes several times). Sometimes picture was also "full white" (overexposed), like the shutter was stucked in open positon.

Actually, it takes picture but all is black, including after downloaded them on PC, and when you look at the lens, you can notice the shutter stay closed all time, I think it is this mechanical part which is broken.

It seems that I'm the only one to have experienced this problem. What a lucky guy I am ! :-/

Guerito wrote:

Were you wearing sunglasses by chance? Polarized glasses will make the LCD appear black.

Don

Hello,

No sunglasses, only a polarizer filter but not on the side of the screen

Zouk !

I very much doubt this is it, but do you have the ND filter on?

Don

-- hide signature --

You should no doubt. I really think it is this. ND is obviously off...(and even on, I will not have a permanent black screen)

The shutter stays in closed position. Believe me or not, it is a fact !

I'm very surprised too that this exotic problem is happening, but a look in the lens is enough to notice it, I know very well my cam, and it is not the first that I look into the lens..
For information, ND filter is working (it take physically position in the lens).
It is not a problem a "user problem" as you seem convinced.

Well, it seems that I'm the first guy with this prob here...

Zouk !

Both of my suggestions were very polite and and sometimes the obvious can be overlooked. Since you are so sure it's not a user problem, why are you asking for help then responding with a flippant reply? If your camera is broken, throw it away or send it in for repair. There's no reason to waste people's time here.

Don

-- hide signature --

My answers was also very polite as you can notice and thank you for your suggestions. But actually I was never asking for help to fix it, for remind :

You will notice that I have requested NO help, I'm only asking for similar case, please read better question before answer.

Also, if you think you're wasting your time, just do not answer and everybody will be happier. As soon back to home, the camera will be sent for repair.
Again, I'm just asking if it is a already known problem to people...

Best Regards,
Zouk !

peterkaruna New Member • Posts: 6
Re: G10 no light reaching sensor, display ok

I know the OP was several months ago, but I have just had my G10 die with EXACTLY the same sequence of events and final outcome. My camera is now 14-months old and completely useless.

I plan to see what Canon is willing to do about it, though I realize it's out of warranty. Like the OP, I'm asking if anyone else has had the same issue with the G10. Obviously, if this is a reasonably common occurrence, my chances with Canon are better.

peterkaruna New Member • Posts: 6
G10: no light reaching sensor, display ok

I know the OP was several months ago, but I have just had my G10 die with EXACTLY the same sequence of events and final outcome. My camera is now 14-months old and completely useless.

I plan to see what Canon is willing to do about it, though I realize it's out of warranty. Like the OP, I'm asking if anyone else has had the same issue with the G10. Obviously, if this is a reasonably common occurrence, my chances with Canon are better.

Zouk wrote:

Hello,

I think connection between screen and sensor is ok. No cover on lens, and tried every display mode, you can trust me.

Before definitive failure, screen stayed black sometimes at start-up, and the only way to turn it back to normal was to turn it off, then turn it on again (sometimes several times). Sometimes picture was also "full white" (overexposed), like the shutter was stucked in open positon.

Actually, it takes picture but all is black, including after downloaded them on PC, and when you look at the lens, you can notice the shutter stay closed all time, I think it is this mechanical part which is broken.

It seems that I'm the only one to have experienced this problem. What a lucky guy I am ! :-/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads