top dial won't change aperture or shutter speed!

Started Aug 11, 2009 | Discussions
mangwood New Member • Posts: 14
top dial won't change aperture or shutter speed!

I have a canon 30D. All of a sudden, I couldn't change the aperture when I was in Av mode. Then about a week later, I couldn't change the shutter speed when in Tv mode. That top dial still functions for other needs. Anyone else experience this? What should I do?

CanonPhotog Contributing Member • Posts: 676
Make sure that you have the "On" dial

mangwood wrote:

I have a canon 30D. All of a sudden, I couldn't change the aperture when I was in Av mode. Then about a week later, I couldn't change the shutter speed when in Tv mode. That top dial still functions for other needs. Anyone else experience this? What should I do?

turned to the second position.

Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 23,374
Power switch....

...should NOT be in the ON position. If in the ON position, it locks aperture/speed settings as you have experienced.

Make sure power switch on the squiggly line.
--
Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon G3 X Canon EOS M +14 more
JohnHBailey
JohnHBailey Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: Power switch....

Olga Johnson wrote:

...should NOT be in the ON position. If in the ON position, it locks aperture/speed settings as you have experienced.

Make sure power switch on the squiggly line.
--
Olga

Sorry to disagree, but I've just tried this on my 30D and (in AV mode) the TOP dial - which is what the OP was asking about - works the same with the power switch in either position. The REAR dial only works with the power switch in the squiggly line position,where it enables EC. Which is what I'd expect.

Of course it's always possible that I've misunderstood the question !

John

JohnHBailey's gear list:JohnHBailey's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Pat Heuvel Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: top dial won't change aperture or shutter speed!

Half-press the shutter button, then try the top wheel.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 22,800
only affects back dial

CanonPhotog wrote:

mangwood wrote:

turned to the second position.

The On switch only affects the large rear dial, not the top dial.

Mark

Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 23,374
Of course you're right

I'm the one who didn't read the question correctly. Thanks!
--
Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon G3 X Canon EOS M +14 more
Fishermans Friend Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: Of course you're right

Do you have a battery grip fitted?

If you do, turn the dial on the grip to change the Av or Tv and as if by magic all will be back to normal on the top dial and you'll be able to change Av/Tv as normal.

It has happened on my 350D and 40D (both are gripped). Turning the grip dial fixes it everytime on both. It hasn't happened that much only once or twice on each.

OP mangwood New Member • Posts: 14

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do not have a battery grip attached. I reset all the camera settings and functions and that seemed to work for awhile. But now that dial will only make the numbers go up no matter which way I turn it. And then it freezes at the top number. It will also not let me go below 5.6 for an aperture setting (even though my lens stops down to 2.8). So frustrated!

Shooteos New Member • Posts: 1
Re: top dial won't change aperture or shutter speed!

My 30D has a similar problem. I was going to post here to see if anyone has had experience with getting this repaired?

In the last few months, the main control dial (the one on top) doesn't work correctly. The settings controlled by this dial seem to jump around randomly when it is turned.

I first noticed it when I tried to change focus points... the point selection would jump around randomly instead of in sequence. The same happens for Av settings and Tv... spinning the dial just one way will cause the value to change randomly... sometimes increase and sometimes decrease. If I spin it long enough, I can get it to the desired setting, but it is sure frustrating! The other day I was trying to set a long exposure of 15seconds in manual mode and almost gave up because I couldn't get the shutter speed to change to that value.

I used to change focus points to photograph off-center subjects, but now I usually just use the center point and recompose. This doesn't always work well.

Anyway, let us know if anyone has a guesstimate on getting this fixed.

Shooteos

Dolkin New Member • Posts: 1

Fishermans Friend wrote:

Do you have a battery grip fitted?

If you do, turn the dial on the grip to change the Av or Tv and as if by magic all will be back to normal on the top dial and you'll be able to change Av/Tv as normal.

It has happened on my 350D and 40D (both are gripped). Turning the grip dial fixes it everytime on both. It hasn't happened that much only once or twice on each.

It's happening in my 7D every now end then. i Have to change the shutter speed from the grip's dial or restart the camera. Is there a specific problem with grips (although i have a chinese one) or is  camera's problem ?
A fellow photographer sudjest that the contacts of the grip need to get cleaned or something. but he also said that canon has a lot of bugs installed regarding third party gear. I also have some problems with my Nissin i866 MK ii, although everything is up to date (firmwares etc etc).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads