Gary Friedman Rocks!

Started Aug 11, 2009 | Discussions
faranya Senior Member • Posts: 1,548
Gary Friedman Rocks!

I'm an Olympus owner at present so this isn't my normal forum but I just had to drop in. Here in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, we were recently treated to Gary Friedman's two-day photography seminar. Some participants drove all the way from Ontario to NS to be there! Others also came from a considerable distance. And no wonder.

Gary is a delightful presenter with his warm and friendly approach and his quick-witted observations. His interplay with the audience is extremely entertaining. Yet he certainly knows his stuff, and that knowledge applies to any brand or model of camera from the tiniest P&S to the whopping-biggest DSLR. He's basically a Sony guy but not a "gear snob". Those of us making do with less expensive equipment felt just as worthy of attention as those with higher-end cameras. When Gary showcased some of our own shots from a spectrum of the group, he greatly encouraged the photographers with his positive feedback, and then motivated us to go out and reach even higher for the next one. His emphasis was on the human element - the creativity and imagination that make the difference between "nice" and "wow". We had break assignments and even a spot of (really unusual!) homework. And by the end of the two days, owing to the informal atmosphere and opportunities to share and chat with each other, we'd also met new friends.

I would have been happy to come away with just one or two bits of new information. Instead, I received more than my mind could actually process at a single go. I'll keep revisiting what I've learned and working on my skills. Luckily, he provided us all with copious notes detailing every step of his workshop, and recapping everything we'd done - so we could listen and not worry about writing down his words of wisdom. He understood what we would need to focus on (no pun), given our wide range of abilities, and covered pretty much everything essential to producing not just good but great results.

Gary, I know you read the Sony forums. Thanks again to you and your lovely wife, Carol, for giving us such a wonderful weekend of photography and fun! To anyone who hasn't participated in a Friedman seminar: if you see one scheduled that's feasible to attend, run - don't walk - to sign up. Check out his website at Friedman Archives. Here in Yarmouth, we're hoping for a repeat session at some point down the road. Word travels fast, so I suspect the locals who didn't attend this time are now kicking themselves.

My best to all you Sony folks. I'm also very impressed with your cameras. Ironically, my E-510's sequential-shooting mode (which is crucial to me as a wildlife photographer) suddenly went nuts during one of our break assignments and wouldn't stop firing! If anything can go wrong, it will ... at the worst possible time. Repairing it would probably cost more than it's worth at this stage. So now I'm off to surf ebay and visit camera stores' websites. I don't suppose I can use my Zuiko lenses on a Sony, though ...

Brenda

faranya's gear list:faranya's gear list
Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM
JusLookN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,362
Re: Gary Friedman Rocks!

Thanks for the good report,Brenda! Some of us are waiting for Gary's seminar to come to our areas! Good luck replacing your camera!
--
Glenn

I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D3S Nikon D4S Sony a77 II +3 more
ZJLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,161

"Ironically, my E-510's sequential-shooting mode (which is crucial to me as a wildlife photographer) suddenly went nuts during one of our break assignments and wouldn't stop firing! If anything can go wrong, it will ... at the worst possible time. Repairing it would probably cost more than it's worth at this stage. So now I'm off to surf ebay and visit camera stores' websites. I don't suppose I can use my Zuiko lenses on a Sony, though ..."

Nice to hear that he is as good in person as he is in writing

But if I were you I would get the E-620 asap - it looks absolutely yummy!

ZJLM's gear list:ZJLM's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Ronni H
Ronni H Senior Member • Posts: 1,099

Being European I have to settle for his books - but they are pretty good so it's not too bad. I learned a lot about my camera and basic photography when I read his KM 5D book. Haven't gotten the A700 book yet though.

I am sure Gary will appreciate your feedback
--
Never bite the Apple...

Ronni

http://www.pbase.com/ronnihansen

Ronni H's gear list:Ronni H's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Venus Laowa 15mm F2 +1 more
Joanel Contributing Member • Posts: 998

Ronni H wrote:

Being European I have to settle for his books - but they are pretty good so it's not too bad. I learned a lot about my camera and basic photography when I read his KM 5D book. Haven't gotten the A700 book yet though.

He is giving seminars in europe in 2010. check his website.

Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +5 more

Cool - even in our lovely capital

Olympus OM-D E-M5
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,627

I owned my A700 for a years before receiving the Gary Friedman color edition for the A700 from my grandchildren for Christmas. after reading the first1/4 of the book I learned some tricks that made the book worthwhile... and its a great reference for specific shooting situaltions...and it explains in simple terms every button dial and setting... the best bang for the buck is the B&W version because its 1/3 the price of the color version... with the B&W version, there are free on line color photos from Gary's site for color comparison visual aides. the on line version is probably the worst, because the book is bound and an easy reference.. with 400 plus pages the on line version is not cost effective to print out. If money is not object then the color version is beautiful.

-- hide signature --

Bill
Capturing memories, one at a time.

Visit my Smug Mug Galleries at:
http://evil-twin.smugmug.com/

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
OP faranya Senior Member • Posts: 1,548

I'm so glad to hear that some of you will get a chance to attend a seminar and meet Gary in person. I know you'd enjoy his presentations if you were to sign up (and no, he didn't pay me to say this!).

Olympus tells me to send my camera in for repairs. I have no idea what that might cost but I think I'll do it anyhow, and save it as a backup. Yes, the E-620 seems to be a fine replacement to suit my needs.

But those Sony A380s are looking mighty good too! Sigh, if only money grew on apple trees. : )

Cheers,

Brenda

faranya's gear list:faranya's gear list
Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM

I know the feeling - beside my A200 I also have an Olympus E-400 - got an offeer I couldn't refuse - I love the feel of the camera and just wish I could afford the pancake lens

Olympus OM-D E-M5
btdbozo New Member • Posts: 17

I attended one of Gary's seminars earlier this year in San Mateo, Ca, and can also add how great and valuable both classes were. Gary takes a very common sense approach to photography & makes it very fun. I sometimes find myself getting caught up in all the technical nonsense and babble, and Gary helped us learn how to work with all that better, but also how to simply enjoy shooting wonderful pictures. I don't mean to say he oversimplified things, rather he turns complexity into fun challenges. I'd highly recommend attending his classes. He's also very aware of what people in the class want to learn & adapts to those questions and requests well.

-B

santiclaws Senior Member • Posts: 1,250

I see there's a seminar coming up in the fall about ten minutes from my house. I think you may just have made a sale!

Ronni H
Ronni H Senior Member • Posts: 1,099

ZJLM wrote:

Cool - even in our lovely capital

Oh yeah. I'll join if he doesn't double the price.

Thanks for pointing it out for us Joanel
--
Never bite the Apple...

Ronni

http://www.pbase.com/ronnihansen

Ronni H's gear list:Ronni H's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Venus Laowa 15mm F2 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads