K7 am I'm missing something about the IQ!

Started Jul 29, 2009 | Discussions
Rodney Hobbs Junior Member • Posts: 40
K7 am I'm missing something about the IQ!

Hi All,

I was very interested in switching over to Pentax and the new K7 the key reason to investigate this was to use the great Pentax primes on a small well built body with good IQ. Well I had the opportunity to test a K7 today with a great DA35 macro and the results are very poor due to the level of noise! Now I am a professional photographer and have experience on many systems and I was not thinking that the IQ would be the same as my D3 but I think that it is fair to expect that the noise should be very reasonable at 400 and 800.

I just find the type and style to be very objectionable. I very much want to know if I have missed anything?

I have just tired the sample files in LR2 and they seem a little better.

Regards

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,156
Re: K7 am I'm missing something about the IQ!

Rodney Hobbs wrote:

Hi All,

I was very interested in switching over to Pentax and the new K7 the key reason to investigate this was to use the great Pentax primes on a small well built body with good IQ. Well I had the opportunity to test a K7 today with a great DA35 macro and the results are very poor due to the level of noise! Now I am a professional photographer and have experience on many systems and I was not thinking that the IQ would be the same as my D3 but I think that it is fair to expect that the noise should be very reasonable at 400 and 800.

It should be about 2 stops or more behind your D3, I imagine. ISO 3200 on the D3 might be about the same as 800 on the K-7 or slightly better. There is another fellow on here, user Duplo, that uses the D3 along with the K-7.

See his evaluation here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=32484668

I find the noise pretty tolerable at ISO 1600. Also, I should point out if you shoot JPG or anything there might not have been any noise reduction enabled. Another point is the K20d is really an ISO 100-1600 camera where the D3 is a 200-3200+ camera (note, they allow ISO 100 on the D3 but it is a software implementation and doesn't perform any differently than ISO 200), this gives the D3 an extra edge at high ISOs.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/ (7/20/09)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad (6/5/09)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
ManuH
ManuH Veteran Member • Posts: 3,898

Rodney Hobbs wrote:

I just find the type and style to be very objectionable. I very much want to know if I have missed anything?

If you shot JPEG then the difference can be huge because Pentax applies very little NR.

I have just tired the sample files in LR2 and they seem a little better.

LR does remove chroma noise by default.

Of course you cannot expect to have comparable noise performance with a D3. But don't forget the K-7 has a higher resolution than the D3, so pixel peeping will reveal more noise. Did you try to print the pictures from both cameras and do a comparison?

Also when you compare noise, you have to compare details too, there's always a balance between the two.

OP Rodney Hobbs Junior Member • Posts: 40

Hi,

I am having a closer look at the files now in LR2 which I do not normally use as I find I get much better results generally from C1 Pro. It might be that the C1 dng profile is not giving the best saple of the k7 dng files. LR does when seem to improve the k7 dng files compared to some E3 iso samples. I think the olympus gives a little more sharpness but I see the the K7 does look alot better than my first thoughts and reason for the thread.

Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,666

Rodney Hobbs wrote:

Hi,

I am having a closer look at the files now in LR2 which I do not normally use as I find I get much better results generally from C1 Pro. It might be that the C1 dng profile is not giving the best saple of the k7 dng files. LR does when seem to improve the k7 dng files compared to some E3 iso samples. I think the olympus gives a little more sharpness but I see the the K7 does look alot better than my first thoughts and reason for the thread.

I do think that DNG files are a bit noisier, why, I have no idea. I am using PEF's and converting them in Silkypix Pro RC beta version which can convert PEF's. I usually use Capture One Pro as my default RAW converter, too and found that the K7 DNG files were not up to scratch, but seem much better as PEF's converted in Silkypix Pro RC.

Hopefully Capture One Pro will address the PEF situation soon.

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +18 more
pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948

Rodney Hobbs wrote:

Hi,

I got the camera yesterday. Most of it is Amazing...yet going by just what I saw on the LCD the high iso performance (400+) is nothing to write home about...however, I've seen spectacular results posted here by those who knew what they are doing at 1600. So, I think the default settings is throwing things off....so, don't let the early results foold you...amazing potential is hidden in there...

-- hide signature --

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN

K10D (K-7 on the way)
Pentax Primes: DA21/3.2, F28/2.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads