K-7: Battery takes ages to charge????

Started Jul 29, 2009 | Discussions
janneman02 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,733
K-7: Battery takes ages to charge????

With K20D I often left my batteries in the camera for a long time and charged them once in a while, more often that not the red liight dissapeard almost instantly.

I know have the K-7 for slightly more than a week with battery (fully charged) but haven't been able to shoot that much. (busy busy etc)

Just to be on the safe side I decided to charge the battery before updating firmware
It is however (2.5 hours) still charging... That never happened with the K20D...
--

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,474
Re: K-7: Battery takes ages to charge????

It's a bigger capacity battery. Takes about 5 hours to charge (precise time is in the manual).
--
Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
OP janneman02 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,733

sfa1966 wrote:

It's a bigger capacity battery. Takes about 5 hours to charge (precise time is in the manual).

Yes but, I only took 167 pics and only about 10 were with onboard flash...
in camera for about a week, can't deplete that much so quick I think.

-- hide signature --

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,474

janneman02 wrote:

sfa1966 wrote:

Hmmm ... you have a point. Hope the light goes out soon!

FWIW, as you may have seen from the other thread, the firmware update works perfectly on the AF selection issue.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,156

I think it is just a slow charger. Li-Ion batteries should take only 45 minutes or so to charge 80% with a rapid charger. My guess they have reasoning to make it charge so slow to protect the battery. It might also just be they don't turn off the light until it is near 100%, it might still charge to 80% in an hour or so, then it charges a lot slower to get the last 20%.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/ (7/20/09)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad (6/5/09)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
ropen Senior Member • Posts: 1,479

janneman02 wrote:

sfa1966 wrote:

I think many chargers analyze the state of the inserted battery and fully deplete a LiIon battery before beginning to charge it. So it's possible that an almost full battery will take longer to recharge than a flat out one.

Radu

ropen's gear list:ropen's gear list
Pentax K-3
ManuH
ManuH Veteran Member • Posts: 3,898

ropen wrote:

janneman02 wrote:

sfa1966 wrote:

I think many chargers analyze the state of the inserted battery and fully deplete a LiIon battery before beginning to charge it. So it's possible that an almost full battery will take longer to recharge than a flat out one.

From my experience fully depleting a Li-On is not good at all. Charging it to a full 100% is not good either. My laptops are very clear about that, if I want to keep the battery longer, they advice to charge only to 97-98% and never go below 10%. Chemists could better explain why. Ni-Mh on the other hand benefit from complete discharges if I'm not mistaken.

Now the D-LI90 charging time is abnormally long. The battery may have a very good capacity but the charger is really slow.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads