Six Pentax K-7, all failed :(

Started Jul 29, 2009 | Discussions
Collie Camp
Collie Camp Regular Member • Posts: 175
Six Pentax K-7, all failed :(

Hi Pentaxians,

i don´t know what to do anymore - here´s the story:

I´m a Canon 5D Mk2 owner, but I missed my old K10D ever since I sold it...

When Pentax announced the K-7, I instantly knew, I would return to Pentax - for a small, fine, charismatic streetcamera beside my Canon.

I preorderd and was willing to be an early adopter for the first time - as my argumentatuion was: if they mess up their first batch, they would suffer in the forums - so they´ll take extra care.

I now had SIX Pentax K-7, all new and boxed, from 3 different retailers.

I don´t do Testshots, charts or whatever. I take my DSLRs everywhere, taking pictures to see if it´s fine.

All failed.

1. Movie-Mode: Stuckpixels in the middle , red line on the left side - exchange.

2. Movie Mode fine, green, 500px wide green stripe on the left hand side of most photos - sensor defect - exchange

3. Changed Onlinestore, this K-7 had big dust behind the rear LCD moving around...didn´t even turn it on - exchange

4. Figuered I´ll go to a local store now - strong frontfocus beyong AF correction, red line in all Movies/Liveview from 1st sec. - exchange

5. some stuckpixel in movies - who cares anymore - rest fine, but wait: 2 black spots on all pictures, no dust, no matter what lens, not mapable - service said might be dirt between AA filterglas and sensor - exchange

6. The best...some stuckpixel and a faint line in movies - who cares anymore - and the green spider line syndrom: green line in the middle, if K-7 gets hotter than 36°C - i didn´t care either, the pics looked good, focus right on

Yesterday I swiched on Automatic Level Correction for the first time with this body and:

Voilá, now all my pics are tilted to the right. The Automatic Level Correction tilts all Images by 0.5-1.0° to the right...like the sea horizont

Noticed earlyer, that the level indicator of this one seemed not as leveled as the 5 others...always wanted me to shift the camera a little more than what felt right - obviously needs an adjustment.

Called the Pentax Service - they told me to exchange again if possible, because they have a repairtime of 3-4 weeks now and are just getting to know the k-7, so no info how difficult the adjustment of the levelmeter will be...

I don´t want to exchange anymore - I really tried to get a good one - what shall I do now?

Collie Camp's gear list:Collie Camp's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Df Pentax K-1 Leica M-P (Typ 240)
Jamie B Goode Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Six Pentax K-7, all failed :(

Maybe an Oly?

Pete Dee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,759

Personally I would have given up before now and bought a Nikon.

Good luck.

Pete

Pete Dee's gear list:Pete Dee's gear list
Pentax Optio W80 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
dpetk10
dpetk10 Contributing Member • Posts: 928

wow sorry to hear it, I am really enjoying mine. All good so far.
--
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/davidpetryk

Dave Pet---- wssa 193PX

Collie Camp
OP Collie Camp Regular Member • Posts: 175
I really like the K-7

My experience is, that Canikon got their issues too

...I like Pentax a lot and the design of the K-7, the pictures, the handling is like made for me - a fantastic camera, IMO.

I´d just like to have a good sample. Maybe wait a couple of weeks, until production settles?

But I´m in France in August - would be a shame not to have the K-7 with me.

*isteve Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509

You should do what I am doing. Waiting a few months for the first batch to iron out the QC issues. After a bunch of lens issues I have decided not to be an early adopter this time round, but I still like the product (when it works).

Collie Camp wrote:

Hi Pentaxians,

When Pentax announced the K-7, I instantly knew, I would return to Pentax - for a small, fine, charismatic streetcamera beside my Canon.

I preorderd and was willing to be an early adopter for the first time - as my argumentatuion was: if they mess up their first batch, they would suffer in the forums - so they´ll take extra care.

I don´t do Testshots, charts or whatever. I take my DSLRs everywhere, taking pictures to see if it´s fine.

All failed.

1. Movie-Mode: Stuckpixels in the middle , red line on the left side - exchange.

2. Movie Mode fine, green, 500px wide green stripe on the left hand side of most photos - sensor defect - exchange

3. Changed Onlinestore, this K-7 had big dust behind the rear LCD moving around...didn´t even turn it on - exchange

4. Figuered I´ll go to a local store now - strong frontfocus beyong AF correction, red line in all Movies/Liveview from 1st sec. - exchange

5. some stuckpixel in movies - who cares anymore - rest fine, but wait: 2 black spots on all pictures, no dust, no matter what lens, not mapable - service said might be dirt between AA filterglas and sensor - exchange

6. The best...some stuckpixel and a faint line in movies - who cares anymore - and the green spider line syndrom: green line in the middle, if K-7 gets hotter than 36°C - i didn´t care either, the pics looked good, focus right on

Yesterday I swiched on Automatic Level Correction for the first time with this body and:

Voilá, now all my pics are tilted to the right. The Automatic Level Correction tilts all Images by 0.5-1.0° to the right...like the sea horizont

Noticed earlyer, that the level indicator of this one seemed not as leveled as the 5 others...always wanted me to shift the camera a little more than what felt right - obviously needs an adjustment.

Called the Pentax Service - they told me to exchange again if possible, because they have a repairtime of 3-4 weeks now and are just getting to know the k-7, so no info how difficult the adjustment of the levelmeter will be...

I don´t want to exchange anymore - I really tried to get a good one - what shall I do now?

-- hide signature --

Steve

Any fool can take a picture OF something. Its much harder to take a picture ABOUT something.

Collie Camp

Nice to hear that - maybe it´s got to be the

Lucky Number 7 - K-7, which will be fine

But I think, if it also got some issues, I´ll pass the batch

Collie Camp

*isteve wrote:

You should do what I am doing. Waiting a few months for the first batch to iron out the QC issues. After a bunch of lens issues I have decided not to be an early adopter this time round, but I still like the product (when it works).

Mmmhh - but I´ve got these nice Limiteds, but they won´t fit a 5D Mk2

I ain´t got a K20d or something to get me over the wait. And to buy a k20d just for some month seems a little bit of waste...

Peter Jonkman Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

Collie Camp wrote:

*isteve wrote:

I hate to tell you, but they will. Remove the flange that protects the diaphragm lever, buy a PK to EOS adapter, and here you go. You'll miss the AF and the auto diaphragm though, but it'll work.

Disclaimer: I do not support the mutilation of lenses.

*isteve Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509

Collie Camp wrote:

*isteve wrote:

I ain´t got a K20d or something to get me over the wait. And to buy a k20d just for some month seems a little bit of waste...

Could be worse - at least you have another camera....and the LTDs wont go rusty or anything
--
Steve

Any fool can take a picture OF something. Its much harder to take a picture ABOUT something.

Collie Camp

You guys cheer me up - thanks.

No, I guess, I´ll pass on the Ltds surgery for Canon - I really like K-7 slidefilm like look. Some say to much noise, but I guess these guys never scanned film

Alek79 Regular Member • Posts: 434
Astonishing

Collie,

Really sorry to hear your problems.

The QC issues with this camera are the last thing I expected before its launch, given all the problems and bad publicity Pentax had with previous products, most notably K10D and DA 16-50. I was sure that this time they would get it right as such a small company cannot afford itself to further downgrade its reputation for quality. The first rule of success is not to make mistakes. How wrong I was. For me it's a sign of either continuing lack of funds to invest in more reliable production technologies (I expected Hoya would inject some cash) or absolute incompetence and ignorance of Pentax management.

Having said that I'm really interested in your impressions of K7 compared to 5DMk2. What do you find as advantages of each camera, how would you describe IQ at low sensitivities etc.? Thank you in advance.

I hope for all of us to get a good K7 eventually.

Al

Collie Camp wrote:

Hi Pentaxians,

All failed.

Nick in Shanghai Contributing Member • Posts: 928

Vietnam..........the new China.

Nick in Shanghai.

Collie Camp
Re: Astonishing

The QC issues with this camera are the last thing I expected before its launch, given all the problems and bad publicity Pentax had with previous products, most notably K10D and DA 16-50.

I had the K10d, and while it went to service after a couple of month for a minor AF and exposure adjustment, all was fine with it but it was on the market for like half a year when i bought it...

Having said that I'm really interested in your impressions of K7 compared to 5DMk2. What do you find as advantages of each camera, how would you describe IQ at low sensitivities etc.? Thank you in advance.

The resolution of the 5dII in RAW is really stunning - I literally fall of my chair sometimes. The 21M Pixel are all there and sharp RAW is just fantastic.

The JPG engine dosen´t do the sensor much justice, with a uneven NR applied even to low iso shots, which give the pics a washedout flat look in the shadows, IMO.

So as a street camera with much charme, i prefer the K-7 - while noisy, it got a "film" look to it...

Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462

There is already a new firmware available and it will be followed by more firmware updates. Pentax are releasing new firmwares to fix problems as fast as they can.

Problems with hot pixels and sensor overheating is harder to adress by firmware.

Samsung currently has QC issues for their sensor production which means a large sample variation, hopefully this will be fixed soon and hopefully they will offer replacement sensors to the bodies affected.

-- hide signature --
Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462

There are some issues related to the sensor and it doesn't help even if Hoya invest billions at the Phillipines production plant for the bodies because it is Samsung that produces the sensors in South Korea, not Pentax. Pentax can't fix Samsung's QC issues with the sensor manufacturing.

For some of the problems, firmware fixes are issued - there is already one update and more will follow. Pentax releases new fixes as fast as they can.
--
Take care
R
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmabo

TOMSDPR Contributing Member • Posts: 912

Hi,
you are a very patient guy.
Why don't you just try to buy a rarely used second hand K10?

It is obvious that some of the most important new gimmics that Pentax marketing has worked out on the K7 are nothing but a fake.
--
Thomas - mjdundee

TOMSDPR's gear list:TOMSDPR's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T100 +7 more
Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,892

Collie,

The QC issues with this camera are the last thing I expected before its launch, given all the problems and bad publicity Pentax had with previous products, most notably K10D and DA 16-50.

I'm not entirely surprised. Aside from specific issues with the sensor, dSLR's must surely be amongst the most complex goods available to the consumer, with their fussy mix of optical, mechanical and electronic components. Not to mention separate light paths for AF, viewing and capture.

A look at the K20D service manual here http://www.pentax-hack.info will show the the amount of calibration required. How on earth do they train the service technicians up on one model, let alone a complete range? It must be a huge overhead for the manufacturers.

jknuts New Member • Posts: 18

I hate to add fuel to this fire, but I've also gotten some bad copies. First one had black spots (bad pixels) on all images. Second one had a stuck pixel on the LCD. I'm hoping the third try is the charm. It's really an excellent camera.

Brooke A Contributing Member • Posts: 537

Don't use Pentax if you are that dissatisfied.
--
Brooke

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads