Anybody receive their Cotton Carrier yet?

Started Jul 18, 2009 | Discussions
macmaven Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Anybody receive their Cotton Carrier yet?

Supposed to ship last Saturday from Canada, I'm in California, not here yet.

Anybody get theirs? What do you think?

macmaven

tmdowd Contributing Member • Posts: 661
Re: Anybody receive their Cotton Carrier yet?

I'm stumped... what is it... or who is it?
--
Tom D
http://thomasdowd.zenfolio.com/

tmdowd's gear list:tmdowd's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +2 more
OP macmaven Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Sorry Tom, here's the URL and a description

Sorry Tom, it's been mentioned here and on the D-300 forum a few times in the last few weeks.

Here's the website url: http://cottoncarrier.com/

It is a body harness for carrying one or two cameras. It has a qhick release system that releases with a quarter turn of the camerra body.

There are some You-Tube videos on it as well.

I liked what I saw in the videos, but when I ordered, I don't remember being told it was a "pre-order" so I have been waiting about three weeks.

In this day of same-day shipping, I feel like its been a l o o n g time.

Just wondering if ANYONE has received theirs yet.

macmaven

LilKnytt Veteran Member • Posts: 7,213
Looking at their site.....

It looks like they're just swamped in orders. They have shut down online orders for now.

Looks interesting, but I'd probably turn into more of a geek than anything if I bought one of those......

Lil
--
I'm just as entitled to be wrong as you are.

My ever growing gallery, can be visited by friends & family at

http://lilknytt.zenfolio.com/

tmdowd Contributing Member • Posts: 661
Re: Looking at their site.....

I can appreciate its worth if you own a heavy set-up and you tend to hike to your location. Too many times I've had my camera lens bump a tree that I've grabbed to keep from sliding down a slope, however, you're somewhat safe from dropping your camera with a strap around your neck. With this system, once your camera is unlocked and in your hands, you're at risk of dropping it. Also, if you use tripod system like 'right stuff' you'd have to contend with the bracket for the quick clamp.

It's definitely for a specific shooting life style.

A nice set-up and looks well made.

-- hide signature --
 tmdowd's gear list:tmdowd's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +2 more
Red G8R
Red G8R Senior Member • Posts: 1,760
Re: Looking at their site.....

The system looks great for certain situations and the price is reasonable at US$139.
I will be ordering one.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada
http://foto-box.smugmug.com/

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +15 more
Zane Paxton Veteran Member • Posts: 6,947
Competes with tripod bracket

tmdowd wrote:

...Also, if you use tripod system like 'Really Right Stuff' you'd have to contend > with the bracket for the quick clamp.

Yes; I have the RRS right angle bracket for frequent tripod mounting... Nice functionality, but I need the tripod mount more.

-- hide signature --

Zane
http://www.pbase.com/devonshire
Nikon D2x
NAPP Member

'Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments it takes our breath away.” ~ Anonymous

Zane Paxton's gear list:Zane Paxton's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Red G8R
Red G8R Senior Member • Posts: 1,760
Re: Competes with tripod bracket

There is an RRS system for US$149 listed under the Buy section of the web site. The standard system is $139.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada
http://foto-box.smugmug.com/

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +15 more
greatphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: Competes with tripod bracket

I am in Australia and still waiting, ordered about 2 weeks ago.

Cheers
randall

Just arrived

Sorry to reply to my own post, but my Cotton Carrier just arrived via US mail. Mailed July 15 from Vancouver BC.

Nicely made. The second holster is great.

I'll post more when I get home and can actually try it out.

macmaven

first impression

Just went for a short walk.

The second holster is "too bouncy" to walk around with on your regular trouser belt.

I guess that's why old-west gunslingers used to lash their holsters to their thighs.

macmaven

Dave C Rasmussen Regular Member • Posts: 148
Yes

Mine arrived today. Haven't had a chance to unpack it yet. I'm in Minnesota and I ordered the unit on July 9. Shipping was via US Postal Service. That's probably why it's taking so long.

greatphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: Finally arrived

Just got mine a couple of days ago here down under in Oz.

Great product very happy.

Carry D3 with 70-200 and D700 with 24-70 no problems.

Cheers
Randall

John Harrison
John Harrison Contributing Member • Posts: 578
Got mine in the UK

Ordered mine on the 13Th July recieved it on the 22nd July. Teset it and like it. The second holster is fine on my ThinkTank belt.

John
--

brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,114

Just got mine. Just in time for my biggest photo shoot of the season.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Samsung NX1 Nikon D810 +24 more
Ray Rosewall Regular Member • Posts: 157

Brian - Did you use the carrier? Happy with it?
--
Ray R

brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,114

Tried it, didn't like it. The second carrier holster felt like the Velcro straps were coming apart using heavy equipment. I usually shoot with two Nikon D700 with 24-70/2.8 plus SB900 or Quantum Trio on one camera and a 14-24/2.8 plus SB-900 or using the 70-200/2.8 with no flash as my other setup. I went back to the Black Rapid system.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Samsung NX1 Nikon D810 +24 more
Mark den Hartog Veteran Member • Posts: 3,679
Looks like one of Bruno's outfits ;-)

Looks like one of Bruno's outfits

Dennis D Veteran Member • Posts: 5,236
Anyone want to sell their second holster?

I don't need the whole setup, just the second holster.
Thanks!
Dennis

brianric wrote:

Tried it, didn't like it. The second carrier holster felt like the Velcro straps were coming apart using heavy equipment. I usually shoot with two Nikon D700 with 24-70/2.8 plus SB900 or Quantum Trio on one camera and a 14-24/2.8 plus SB-900 or using the 70-200/2.8 with no flash as my other setup. I went back to the Black Rapid system.

-- hide signature --

Dennis D

heavymeister Contributing Member • Posts: 528

This system reminds me of a baby carrier that I used to have. Not a bad idea.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads