EOS adaptor on G1....

Started Jul 15, 2009 | Discussions
Diane B Forum Pro • Posts: 20,694
EOS adaptor on G1....

There were requests to see the RJ (jinfinance/ebay) EOS-> m4/3fds adaptor with EF lenses on the G1. I took some pics of this combo yesterday for anyone interested. The adaptor is well made, works well and is secure with the heavier lenses but of course has no electrical contacts so shooting with the EFs is wide open unless you change the aperture via an EOS body, holding down the DOF preview while dismounting and then use only that aperture on the G1 (or EP-1) untll changed again by mounting on an EOS body.

Here is the adaptor.

and there are 8 more with the 50 f/1.4 and 45 f/2.8 TS top side and 3/4.

The combo works well--but I ask 'why?' except for specialty lenses like the tilt shift or Lensbaby, etc. There are smaller/lghter MF lenses out there (unless you have these lenses, don't wish to buy more, etc.--but you offset the idea of the G1/#P-1 as small/light at that point).

I also have a number of photos on Pbase shot with TS, LB and 50 f/1.4 if interested--starting here and 9 of them http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/113978605
and here for 3 with 50 f/1.4
http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/114761394

Diane B's gear list:Diane B's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Apple iPhone XS Max +1 more
RS2
RS2 Contributing Member • Posts: 832
Re: EOS adaptor on G1....

Thanks for posting those Diane. I just ordered one from Jin also. I wasn't going to, since the EOS lenses can only be used wide open, but then decided that my 400/5.6L would work out pretty well. I usually shoot that at 5.6 anyways. I just might be able to do some birding with my G1 after all.

RS2's gear list:RS2's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
OP Diane B Forum Pro • Posts: 20,694

If you do want to stop down, you can---but you will be stuck with that aperture until you dismount----change your aperture on your EOS body as usual to whatever you wish--then hold down the DOF preview button while you dismount--this maintains that aperture. You can't change it again until you mount on EOS body again, but I shot both with the Sigma 15 f/2.8 like that and my 50 f/1.4--changing first to f5.6 and the second to f/1.8.

Good birding--love to see what you do with it.

Diane
--
Diane B
http://www.pbase.com/picnic
G1 gallery http://www.pbase.com/picnic/temp_g1

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Apple iPhone XS Max +1 more
chrismosk
chrismosk Senior Member • Posts: 2,249
how long did it take to receive?

I would like to order one as well.
--

-T h a n k s C C M

chrismosk's gear list:chrismosk's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Sony a7 III Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +13 more
Re: how long did it take to receive?

As I remember, I think about a week or less. It was shipped from somewhere in the US I think.

Michael Porter Contributing Member • Posts: 502

Here's this same EOS adapter on my G1 attached to a Canon 400mm f4 DO with 1.4 extender. (400 x 1.4 x 2 = EFL 1120 mm) The red dot sight speeds up finding the bird. Focus assist on the G1 makes fine focus quick and easy. (But please Panasonic, give me one-touch focus assist in your next firmware upgrade)

I've also got a wireless remote mounted to minimize vibrations when tripping the shutter. It's less likely to get tangled up in the heat of the moment than the wired remote. The wireless remote can be tripped without removing it from my pocket or from quite a distance away. Its specs say its got a 100 meter range.

chrismosk
2 things

1) - Just ordered mine !
2) Mike, can you show us some pics from your DO?
--

-T h a n k s C C M

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Sony a7 III Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +13 more
chrismosk
I also just thought of something

assuming you stop down the lens like Diane mentioned, do you think you could stack extension tubes with an eos lens on this adapter for macro shots? I wonder how that would work out...
--

-T h a n k s C C M

bird pictures

Mike, can you show us some pics from your DO?

You can see some bird pictures at our web site:

http://www.birdwatching.com/index.html

I believe the Woodpecker Launch Pad link on the upper right of the page was taken with this setup.

Another bird pic with the Canon 400mm f4 DO

Here's another shot with the 400mm f4 DO but not with the G1. I believe it was a Canon 1D.

chrismosk
Re: Another bird pic with the Canon 400mm f4 DO

great...I may try out my 100-400 IS on this setup for kicks!
--

-T h a n k s C C M

Sturdy tripod and head needed

Be sure to use a very sturdy tripod and head if you want to shoot at 400mm cause it's 800mm EFL on the G1.

One of the interesting things about focus assist is turning it on and tapping on the camera to see how much vibration your rig has and how long it takes for the vibration to stop. It's a good way to evaluate your tripod and head setup and show you how much you need a remote release for telephoto work.

If the vibrations dampen quickly enough, the 2-sec timer will work in a pinch.

chrismosk
Re: Sturdy tripod and head needed

I actually have the e-p1 so it will be the same (2x400). I have an ok manfrotto tripod but the head is only that bicylce grip style...I wonder if I should turn off the in-body IS because I am on the tripod. Obviously I will keep it off on the lens.
--

-T h a n k s C C M

Jim Scarff Regular Member • Posts: 318
Huh? Why a G1 attached to a Canon 400 DO lens?

You have a $5,000+ lens, and maybe another $1,000+ invested in a tripod & head, why would you want to attach a G1 to that rather than a Canon 50D or the new 5D MarkII? I doubt the somewhat lower cost of the G1 was the compelling reason!

With the G1 mounted you "get" a 2X multiplier of lens focal length v. 1.6X on the 50D, but that seems more than offset by the larger size of the Canon APS-C sensor and greater number of megapixels. Yet the smaller G1 sensor struggles at higher ISO speeds where so much wildlife photography occurs, and where the Canon shines.

Don't you also lose autofocus? You are limited to non- or slow-moving wildlife?

To my mind, a major attraction of the 400 DO is that it is just light enough that you can hand-hold it -- where the lens' IS becomes critically important. But you lose image-stabilization when mounted on the G1, don't you?

I have both a G1 and a 50D, and I like the G1 for its light weight and tiny size. But when you are carrying around a large telephoto like the 400 DO and the tripod, the incremental difference in the camera's weight is a very small difference in the overall scheme of things.

Jim Scarff's gear list:Jim Scarff's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS 80D +12 more
Tisya1 Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: EOS adaptor on G1....Diane B

Hello Diane! I decided to get the EP-1. It is coming this Saturday.
Do you think the EOS adaptor will work on EP-1?

I found some Pentax and Takumar 50 1.2 and FD 135 2.5 Still thinking if I should buy them. Need to look where to buy the adaptor for Pentax.

Thank you so much!

Tisya1 Regular Member • Posts: 103

I went ahead and order the adapter. Hopefully, I can use Canon Lenses.

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,952
Brilliant for glass --->

Brilliant for glass whch is razor sharp wideopen such as the 70-200 F4 L IS, 300 F4L , 135 F2L, 100 USM Macro, 100 F2 USM (bar some PF) , 85 F1.8 USM (bar PF) 400 F5.6L , 135mm F2.8 SF all the L primes from 35mm upwards .. the only reason you'd stop any of those down would be for DOF control bar the 85 F1.2 and 50 F1.2 which really need F2.0 to clear up.

remember that it gives you access to the mega cheap Sigma 300 F4 APO Telemacro which is unwanted in EOS fit as it crashes Canon DSLRs with Digic chips in , same for the excellent Sigma 400 F5.6 APO Telemacro (make sure its the Telemacro as the older ones are awful wideopen), the 24mm F2.8 "Superwide-II" is a classic for wideopen performance too ..

-- hide signature --

Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T100
SteB
SteB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,526
You let the secret out

AdamT wrote:

remember that it gives you access to the mega cheap Sigma 300 F4 APO Telemacro which is unwanted in EOS fit as it crashes Canon DSLRs with Digic chips in , same for the excellent Sigma 400 F5.6 APO Telemacro (make sure its the Telemacro as the older ones are awful wideopen),

And I thought I was the only one who had thought of this and that I was going to get the pick of all the mint condition Telemacros at knock down prices because no one can use them on Canon DSLRs and you can't get the re-chipped any longer. If I have to pay more for one I know who to blame, LOL!

Yes, the brilliant thing about the m4/3rds is that everything is interchangeable between the cameras. I did try out the EP-1 when I bought the 17 f/2.8 but think I only tried the MA-1 adaptor (4/3rds to m4/rds) with the Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 and the FD to m4/3rds adaptor with the 24 f/2.8.

The Canon EF lenses will be large--and unbalanced. Someone said that only the little 'buzzy' 35/2 and 50 f/1.8 work on the m4/3rds, but on the G1 the 50 f/1.4 and 28 f/1.8 weren't bad, balance wise---but I have other MF lenses (smaller) that work. But--there's no doubt that they will mount and the results should be very nice.

Diane
--
Diane B
http://www.pbase.com/picnic
G1 gallery http://www.pbase.com/picnic/temp_g1

SteB
SteB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,526
I will certainly try out the MP-E 65mm

I will probably be getting the E-P1 although I'd love a GH1 for the more fully featured video. As well as my Olympus 4/3 system I have a Canon system and one of my most used lenses is the unique MP-E 65mm - unique because no one else makes a macro lens that goes to 5:1 unaided. It's my ambition to make some videos with this marvellous lens. Whilst I will probably get a Canon DSLR with video some time I am looking towards m4/3 for video as it would double as a very useful lightweight alternative to a DSLR system. I already know the Canon MT24EX macro twin flash works fine on the Olympus DSLRs, and that's my normal partner with stills to the MP-E 65mm - okay not much use for video unless I used the dingy focusing lights.

My main concern about using the MP-E 65mm on m4/3 is getting enough light for the live view as it I would have to pre-set the aperture on the lens before I attached it - using the taking the lens off with the Preview button pressed method. The depth of field would be too shallow at f2.8. However, as the magnification rises the effective aperture gets ridiculously small. However, I think some LEDs might be a work around for some continuous lighting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads