K-7 & Spider Thin Vertical Line (2 img)

Started Jul 11, 2009 | Discussions
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,854
K-7 & Spider Thin Vertical Line (2 img)

I had my K-7 out yesterday for a morning photo hike at Spring Mill State Park. Just encase it is heat related here is some environmental background:

By the time I took this photo the morning had warmed up to the mid-80's. A several minuted before I was using Liveview for some flower macros.

Anyhow the shot was at iso 400, 1/320sec at f5.6 taken with the DA*300.

100% crop of area with vertical line:

The line goes from the top of the photo down to the flower passing right in front of the butterfly's eye.

The photos were taken in JPEG mode (with default settings) by accident. With the new quick menu system it is too easy to accidentally change things like this.

Several other photos after this also had this line. After eating lunch in the air condition lodge with camera with me to review the morning photos while I eat I went out and took a few more photos and the line isn't in those photos.

Any ideas??

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,698
Re: K-7 & Spider Thin Vertical Line (2 img)

their are other who have mentioned this... i found no line in my first 29 photos but that doesn't mean it won't turn up... hopefully its a camera setting combination that can be avoided otherwise we'll need the sensors replaced...

i want to know if its at the same pixel X coordinate for every body
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

cyberguy Contributing Member • Posts: 695

Mine shows the same line. It only shows up in 5% of my photos. It only shows when the lighting is just right! Usually in a slightly dark condition. I informed Pentax of the problem. They suggested I send the camera back. I think there are more cameras out there with this problem and people just haven't looked close enough to see it.
--
Gleaming the Cube as always,
Jim

cyberguy's gear list:cyberguy's gear list
Leica M8.2
Ronald E. Chambers
Ronald E. Chambers Senior Member • Posts: 1,249

Please contact Pentax. If they are going to fix this they need the circumstances how it occurred.

I'm growing tired of complaints about the camera without people contacting Pentax.

RON C

Ronald E. Chambers's gear list:Ronald E. Chambers's gear list
Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +4 more
SelrahCharleS Senior Member • Posts: 2,707
Discussion on Pentaxforums

There is a discussion about this on Pentaxforums. It does seem to be a heat issue or something related to using live view. I haven't read through the whole thread but that's what I gathered.

http://www.pentaxforums (dot) com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/65879-k7-busted-sensor-strikes-production-body.html

-- hide signature --

Technical Info: Roseart U.S.A. Gold #2 pencil, Pentel High Polymer eraser, Academie sketch pad drawing paper. Drawn clumsily under relatively poor light.

http://www.geocities.com/wild_tiger_1

http://flickr.com/photos/selrahcharles/

Foxbat121 Senior Member • Posts: 1,599

From other similar thread posted and reply from Roland, Pentax has found out this is the issue with the first batch of the new sensor from Samsung. You'd either return the camera or wait for Pentax to repair it.

The use of live view to heat up the sensor before the issue shows up is exactly what others found out.

Foxbat121's gear list:Foxbat121's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon 1 J4 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +15 more
shamanictea
shamanictea Contributing Member • Posts: 544

I haven't seen this phenomena yet on my K7 though I've only used live view a couple of times and it's been relatively cool in upstate NY. Tomorrow I'll be doing some macro live view shooting down at the botanical gardens in Ithaca where it will likely be warmer. I'll be curious to see if any of my resulting photos have this line Dave.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bairid/

shamanictea's gear list:shamanictea's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1
azguy
azguy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,599

Send it to me and I will test it. 113° F in Phoenix tomorrow.
--
JohnE
I have enjoyed taking these images: http://www.pbase.com/jpower

Below, Phoenix City Hall with Nikkor 10.5mm on D200

OP DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,854

MightyMike wrote:

their are other who have mentioned this... i found no line in my first 29 photos but that doesn't mean it won't turn up... hopefully its a camera setting combination that can be avoided otherwise we'll need the sensors replaced...

I am guessing the problem is with using Liveview which heats the sensor. It was a warm day upper 80's F and I did use liveview for flower shots a short time before the problem started. Then the problem stopped after I stopped using the camera for a while and was inside with air conditioning.

i want to know if its at the same pixel X coordinate for every body

That would be interesting.

Dave
--

cyberguy wrote:

Mine shows the same line. It only shows up in 5% of my photos. It only shows when the lighting is just right! Usually in a slightly dark condition. I informed Pentax of the problem. They suggested I send the camera back. I think there are more cameras out there with this problem and people just haven't looked close enough to see it.

Most likely. I am guessing the problem only occurs under certain conditions and it has to do with the electronics in the camera getting too warm.

I see sending my camera back to Pentax but I am going to wait a while to see if there are other problems that has to be worked out with this new model.

Dave
--

Ronald E. Chambers wrote:

Please contact Pentax. If they are going to fix this they need the circumstances how it occurred.

Is there a way of sending this information to Pentax without sending in the camera?

I'm growing tired of complaints about the camera without people contacting Pentax.

How true. I really don't want to send the camera in right now and get another "early product run" camera. I do want to send the information to Pentax to let tem now there might be a problem.

Dave
--

Re: Discussion on Pentaxforums

SelrahCharleS wrote:

There is a discussion about this on Pentaxforums. It does seem to be a heat issue or something related to using live view. I haven't read through the whole thread but that's what I gathered.

This sounds very likely. This problem occured after using liveview for some flower closeups and it was a warm day. I didn't turn off the camera after using liveview but went directly to butterfly photos. The the problem.

Dave
--

Foxbat121 wrote:

From other similar thread posted and reply from Roland, Pentax has found out this is the issue with the first batch of the new sensor from Samsung. You'd either return the camera or wait for Pentax to repair it.

I like this camera too much to be without it. So I am going to to to wait for a while until there are more available and any possible other issues. Knowing that this problem is related to Liveview use and heat issues I should be able for the most part to avoid these condition.

The use of live view to heat up the sensor before the issue shows up is exactly what others found out.

Thanks for the information.

Dave
--

shamanictea wrote:

I haven't seen this phenomena yet on my K7 though I've only used live view a couple of times and it's been relatively cool in upstate NY. Tomorrow I'll be doing some macro live view shooting down at the botanical gardens in Ithaca where it will likely be warmer. I'll be curious to see if any of my resulting photos have this line Dave.

Hopefully your well got see the results I got.

Have fun at the botamical gardens.

Dave
--

azguy wrote:

Send it to me and I will test it. 113° F in Phoenix tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind offer.

Dave
--

emem
emem Veteran Member • Posts: 4,424
Tired Ronald? Perhaps a snooze will fix it?....

Ronald E. Chambers wrote:

You're growing tired Ronald? Poor diddums. So what's your suggestion? No-one shares information? No chance to ask what others are experiencing? Everyone rush off to Pentax with problems before they're sure in their own mind there is a problem and not just something they're doing wrong? I don't care for that attitude one bit. Tired of it actually.
--
Mike M. (emem)
http://www.veritasmea.com

emem's gear list:emem's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Nikon D300S Pentax K-5 IIs +12 more
aplucini Senior Member • Posts: 1,896
Probably a bad sensor

I had a similar vertical line problem with my K20D after only about 3500 shots. Sent it into Pentax repair and they said it was a defective sensor so they replaced it (the sensor). It was under warranty so no charge. Although it cost me money to ship the camera to them!

-- hide signature --

Allan in Colorado, USA

aplucini's gear list:aplucini's gear list
Pentax K-x Canon EOS 60D Pentax K-5 Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 +16 more
dotnik Veteran Member • Posts: 5,565
Pentax must make a public announcement

Foxbat121 wrote:

If this is true then answering through Roland Mabo is simply not good enough. If this is an issue with the first batch of the sensor then they also know which cameras are affected. Pentax must tell the dealers which serial numbers must be returned and if they have been sold then make sure that those people become aware of this issue.

Frankly if this issue is not fully explained by Pentax before my ordered K7 arrives then I will cancel the order.

-- hide signature --

Have a nice day (a picture is worth a thousand words)
Jim

dotnik:
'Don't overestimate technology - nothing is knowledgefree'

Edvinas Senior Member • Posts: 2,812

DLBlack wrote:

Any ideas??

What was internal camera temperature?

It's EXIF tag CameraTemperature. Exiftool and PhotoME can display this.

Your pictures has stripped MakerNotes from EXIF it's not possible to check this from the pictures you posted.

It seems that these lines appear when camera reaches ~36C.

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Edvinas's gear list:Edvinas's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +5 more
dotnik Veteran Member • Posts: 5,565

Edvinas wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Any ideas??

What was internal camera temperature?

It's EXIF tag CameraTemperature. Exiftool and PhotoME can display this.

Your pictures has stripped MakerNotes from EXIF it's not possible to check this from the pictures you posted.

It seems that these lines appear when camera reaches ~36C.

Ahh. They have made the camera so human that when the temperature reaches more than 36C the camera gets a fever.

-- hide signature --

Have a nice day (a picture is worth a thousand words)
Jim

dotnik:
'Don't overestimate technology - nothing is knowledgefree'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads