The D300 is amazingly tough

Started Jul 8, 2009 | Discussions
Yakbutter Regular Member • Posts: 140
Re: HOLY!

JBLanteigne wrote:

Well, if your camera or lens get any problems, I hope you are going to sue the zoo for doing such a silly thing without your permission. I mean.. I would have been really angry, I'm pretty sure I would have want to sue them anyway, for public humiliation or anything that could get me a few thousands out of such a situation, I mean you can't lose.

So sad.... we live in such a sue-happy world. everyone is always looking for that extra buck.

Try forgiveness...it's revolutionary.

dacrema Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Wow, I should say, WOW

(Edit: Sorry all, My post was ment as a reply to GTV2000.)

When I purchased my D300 I got a little flak from some of my friends (not my wife though) about getting more camera than I needed. In part I got this camera because of the build and the weather proofing. I like do spend time out doors and have been caught in bad weather. Once just after getting my camera, a gust of wind blew the camera/tripod (with weight hanging off the bottom of the center column) down. My went into my throat.

I can only imagine what you went through. I still have my FE which was flooded in a rain storm while backpacking in the 80's. I'm glad the camera found it way home, and like the others experssed I would like to know what Nikon has to say.

Off topic:
If you have an Alfa (just a guess from your signature) go for a nice drive.
John

dacrema's gear list:dacrema's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
97C5L Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

JBLanteigne wrote:

Well, if your camera or lens get any problems, I hope you are going to sue the zoo for doing such a silly thing without your permission. I mean.. I would have been really angry, I'm pretty sure I would have want to sue them anyway, for public humiliation or anything that could get me a few thousands out of such a situation, I mean you can't lose

Right, dude! Don't you realize you've hit the lottery?

Here I thought the US was the most litigous country on earth. Guess it's catching on elsewhere.
--

• When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

edphoto7929 Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: The D300 is amazingly tough

not funnie ; but very funnie. press the shutter and see what happens

OP gtv2000 Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: Wow, I should say, WOW

Off topic:
If you have an Alfa (just a guess from your signature) go for a nice drive.
John

Actually the GTV 2000 is being prepped for paint - but I can drive the Duetto! Thanks for your thoughts. I sent the camera off to Nikon this morning, and the lens to Sigma.

String
String Senior Member • Posts: 1,960

You have got to be joking? Either that or an American living in Canada

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
String
String Senior Member • Posts: 1,960

I imagine the last picture on the D300 card was gtv2000 with his eyeballs wide open and a scream coming from his mouth

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
fauyeung Regular Member • Posts: 165

It is sad to hear about your experience but great to know that Nikon "rocks"~

If I have gone through a similar experience, I am more concerned of retrieving the "memory card". We can always get another set of gears, but those memorable pictures could have been long gone.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Frankie

I imagine the last picture on the D300 card was gtv2000 with his eyeballs wide > > open and a scream coming from his mouth

Yeah, we had joked that the shutter clicked when it hit the ground and would have a shot of me grasping the air...

fauyeung wrote:

If I have gone through a similar experience, I am more concerned of retrieving the "memory card". We can always get another set of gears, but those memorable pictures could have been long gone.

Actually, I had downloaded pictures the night before and had only about ten shots on the card - the above one was one of them that I was able to get.

Jestev
Jestev Regular Member • Posts: 165

K10D wrote:

Amazing stuff and on that note:

I was watching an elephant demonstration on the weekend at Perth Zoo. Anyway, the trainer decided it would be funny to soak the crowd with water from the animals trunk. Most of the water landed on the family and my D300 with a 70-300VR that I was holding. It was drenched and I was fairly angry (everyone else thought it was hilarious of course).

Anyway, fingers crossed everything seems ok, there is no evidence of water damage etc.

Apparently the elephant was amused :).

It should be ok. I spent a morning covering lobstermen in a thunderstorm with a 17-55 and 80-200. Granted they're both weather-sealed, but everything worked just fine.

Nice shot.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D300/D50/N70/N6006 - See profile for all equipment
Member NPPA, ASME
http://www.pbase.com/jestev

Jestev's gear list:Jestev's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +4 more
gsmornot Contributing Member • Posts: 944

You wont need it. I've been in the rain with mine and its been fine. In fact its rated to take some water. Its a pro camera after all; pros don't reserve shooting time to sunny days.

Can't remember the guys name but he shows just how much abuse the camera can take and keep going. If I remember I will come back and update the post.
--
Nikon-
http://pdbruce.zenfolio.com

K10D Contributing Member • Posts: 810

It should be ok. I spent a morning covering lobstermen in a thunderstorm with a 17-55 and 80-200. Granted they're both weather-sealed, but everything worked just fine.

Nice shot.

Thanks mate, camera seems fine.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Perth, Western Australia

Heard from Sigma today

Sigma didn't offer to fix the lens - it had a couple of scratches on the front element, a chip out of the plastic at the front where the hood attaches, and was a little gritty in the zoom action due to dirt. They basically offered me a replacement at about their cost, I figure. Not much less than I can get it for at Amazon, so I think I'll have them send the lens back to me.

JTatyosian Senior Member • Posts: 1,728
Re: Heard from Sigma today

Sorry about your gear. Any word from Nikon?

-- hide signature --

John Tatyosian
Check out my site: http://sites.google.com/site/JTatyosian

Re: Heard from Sigma today

No word from Nikon yet. Before I sent it in I tried the built in flash - it didn't even change the shutter speed to 1/60 when I popped it up, so something is busted there in addition to the WB button pressed in and the hot shoe is a little bent. I'll let you know what they say.

George Paulides Senior Member • Posts: 1,178
Weatherproofing compared to Olympus E-3

I am interested to know if the Nikon D200/D300 is weatherproofed to "same" extent as the Olympus E-3 in pratical terms? From what I understand the E-3 seems to be better.

AptSmith Regular Member • Posts: 404
Impressive

And from reading the rest of the thread, the camera still kind of works. Wow.

PaulTeodorescu New Member • Posts: 10

I had an incident with my D300 recently in my trip to Greece and I can only say that having a filter in front of your lens can minimize the damage.

Having the backpack open, my camera and lens fell from 4 feet on the concrete with the lens down. The Hoya HMC Polarizer wash smashed in pieces, it took me a few minutes to remove the pieces of plastic and metal. The lens thread (16-85mm plastic) was partly damaged but still I can use filters and the rest of the lens (zoom and VR work fine) and body escaped unhurt, probably due to the fact that the shock was absorbed by lens filter.

That incident made me more responsible about the way I put the gear in the Adventure 9 backpack and also I will try for the future to have filters and solar shades 100% of the time on the lens.

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,428
Re: Weatherproofing compared to Olympus E-3

George Paulides wrote:

I am interested to know if the Nikon D200/D300 is weatherproofed to "same" extent as the Olympus E-3 in pratical terms? From what I understand the E-3 seems to be better.

So throw an E3 down a ravine and leave it there in rainy weather ... let us know how that turns out

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads