The D300 is amazingly tough

Started Jul 8, 2009 | Discussions
gtv2000 Regular Member • Posts: 131
The D300 is amazingly tough

About three weeks ago I watched my D300/Sigma 10-20mm tumble down a ravine in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. It was on a tripod and I was taking another picture with my FM and knocked it over. It fell about thirty feet onto soft dirt, then the camera detached from the tripod and it bounded down another forty feet or so on rocky ground. It rained a lot the next couple of days. I was not happy. I almost wrote it off, but I notified Park Police and they said they might retrieve it.

Thanks to search and rescue, I got it back today. Amazingly, it still powers up. The eyepiece surround is gone, the LCD cover is gone (but the LCD isn't broken) and the WB button is always pressed in. Other than that, it's just dirty. Haven't tried the shutter yet.

The lens is intact and works - although the front element is scratched (not broken).

It's off to Nikon for evaluation and repair/cleaning, but I am very pleasantly surprised.

Weird, the Kirk ballhead is not around - it detached from the dovetail and the tripod screw. I figured it would have stayed attached to one or the other.

mironv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,778
Re: The D300 is amazingly tough
-- hide signature --

Well if it works maybe Nikon will keep it just as it looks as a marketing tool and send you a new D300. Well if not Nikon maybe you shod contact a Sigma about a lens.
Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
quicklook2 Contributing Member • Posts: 978

an excellent case for a lens filter.

QL2
--

'To believe is to know you believe, and to know you believe is not to believe.' ~ Jean-
Paul Sartre

funnelwebmaster
funnelwebmaster Senior Member • Posts: 2,886

i wonder if anyone has any personal experience with this product:
http://www.cameraarmor.com/catalog

-- hide signature --

My Art, Your Pleasure

Mike in Kansas
Mike in Kansas Contributing Member • Posts: 794

Looking at that makes me want to cry....

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more

that the nikon logo was covered up?

QL2
--

'To believe is to know you believe, and to know you believe is not to believe.' ~ Jean-
Paul Sartre

JTatyosian Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
Re: HOLY!

I thought you were farting around... something like "oh man I dropped it and there isn't even a scratch on it." After a fall like that, I don't think anybody should be questioning why the D300 is worth the additional $500 bucks! That's going to be quite a hefty bill from Nikon, if I would have to guess. Are you expecting them to polish or just getting it working internally? That's a hard core camera, my friend. Please do keep us updated. I want to know the status of this baby.

-- hide signature --

John Tatyosian
Check out my site: http://sites.google.com/site/JTatyosian

K10D Contributing Member • Posts: 810

Amazing stuff and on that note:

I was watching an elephant demonstration on the weekend at Perth Zoo. Anyway, the trainer decided it would be funny to soak the crowd with water from the animals trunk. Most of the water landed on the family and my D300 with a 70-300VR that I was holding. It was drenched and I was fairly angry (everyone else thought it was hilarious of course).

Anyway, fingers crossed everything seems ok, there is no evidence of water damage etc.

Apparently the elephant was amused :).

-- hide signature --

Bob

Perth, Western Australia

azguy
azguy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,599
That's a hit!

That thing really took a hit. Will be interested in seeing what Nikon repair says. good luck.
--
JohnE
I have enjoyed taking these images: http://www.pbase.com/jpower

Below, Phoenix City Hall with Nikkor 10.5mm on D200

trend1 Contributing Member • Posts: 979

Nice that you got your camera back! Please let us know what repair Nikon did when you get it back.

FuzzTheKingOfTrees Contributing Member • Posts: 733
A lens filter would have just shattered

quicklook2 wrote:

No chance a lens filter would have survived you would be picking little pieces of glass out of the front on top of all the other damage.

Lowell Schechter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,069

wow, I don't want to know what went through you mind when that happened.

It is a terrible thing to happen even though you have a tough bodied camera. I am cringing at the sight of photo you posted. I hope Nikon can save the camera. I have only dropped my point and shoots several times with minimal damage but even that got me going . I hope things turn out okay. Its amazing you got the camera back
Lowell

OP gtv2000 Regular Member • Posts: 131

What went through my mind, aside from calling myself an idiot? My wife noticed it was almost a grieving process. A real sense of loss.

I got the nerve last night to put a different lens on it and press the shutter release - it actually still takes photos. A great testament to luck (that it didn't just smash headlong into a rock) and to Nikon's quality.

Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,552
I think we give all DSLs less credit that they deserve in how tough they are

I am not surprised one bit. My Canon 40D (which is not totally weatherproof camera) fell down from the top of the refrigerator bounced of several shelves and hit the cement floor. With lens. 6 feet down. Not a single scratch anywhere, worked like new, was not even an issue. I suspect even smaller cameras like Nikon D40 or Canon XSI are sturdy enough and would survive most falls. I think we baby our equipment too much. They are tough machines when it comes to being shock-proof.

Now with respect to water damage, I would not be so sure. But with falls, should be fine most of the time

-- hide signature --

Canon 40D Nikon D40X Panny TZ5

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R IV Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +5 more
Re: A lens filter would have just shattered

FuzzTheKingOfTrees wrote:

quicklook2 wrote:

No chance a lens filter would have survived you would be picking little pieces of glass out of the front on top of all the other damage.

how can you be sure?

it might have absorbed some of the shock and saved the lens from getting scratched.

QL2
--

Paul Sartre

tundracamper Senior Member • Posts: 1,818
Re: A lens filter would have just shattered

Amazing. Like said above, that would make a great image for a TV or magazine ad!! Of course, they should send you a D3 if they use it in a commercial!!

Thanks for sharing.

OP gtv2000 Regular Member • Posts: 131

Here's the last picture before the fall - the camera fell into the area below the bottom of the picture and bounced down to about where the trees are at the very bottom of the frame. That's the trail to the brink of the lower falls across the canyon.

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,086

Wow, it is tough.

The the thumb screw shear off, of the Kirk ballhead?
--
Dez

http://photos.dezmix.com

DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
JBLanteigne Regular Member • Posts: 355

Well, if your camera or lens get any problems, I hope you are going to sue the zoo for doing such a silly thing without your permission. I mean.. I would have been really angry, I'm pretty sure I would have want to sue them anyway, for public humiliation or anything that could get me a few thousands out of such a situation, I mean you can't lose.

K10D Contributing Member • Posts: 810

JBLanteigne wrote:

Well, if your camera or lens get any problems, I hope you are going to sue the zoo for doing such a silly thing without your permission. I mean.. I would have been really angry, I'm pretty sure I would have want to sue them anyway, for public humiliation or anything that could get me a few thousands out of such a situation, I mean you can't lose.

Not my style; the zoo is there to help endangered species etc, the last thing they need is a law suit. My wife is a friend of the zoo vet and had a quiet word. I'm sure either my insurance or the zoo's would cover repair if required.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Perth, Western Australia

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads